It's alive!!!!

-

cu440da

Reaction score
Gave the truck my first attempt at starting it today. Wanted to see if it would start without needing the push button switch so I gave that a shot first. No go- until I realized I hadn't depressed the clutch pedal. Doh! It did fire right up, and ran with some hellacious valve noise for quite a while but it eventually settled down. Having some teething problems like a dead pedal, O2 sensor codes, charging system is going high... I think that is due to an incomplete VR circuit after I disconnected a lot of the old harness, though.

Major hurdle completed, I am a happy guy for now. Here is a video of the start.

[ame]http://youtu.be/PhPY8tD8TJc[/ame] (kind of long, I dont know how to edit these things)

[ame]http://youtu.be/8Z44-lvjCHQ[/ame] (short wrap up)

Oh yeah. I feel the need to explain that fugly air intake. It was supposed to be for my 6.1 intake- for now its a temporary set up to get it running. I plan on fabbing a tube that runs over towards the pass side core support for cooler air.

nice job!, my son has a 80 stepside he is putting a 340 in but is kinda thinking now that this would have been a better direction, I really like what you have done and may consider putting one of these in my 56 as well, as a owner of a couple of late model hemi's myself I gotta say nothing beats the power of a hemi, but like you I am a stickshift fan so I would like to see more of how you did that, ie; hydraulic clutch set up etc.

I would like to see more of how you did that, ie; hydraulic clutch set up etc.

Its pretty straight forward. I am using the Viper T56 w/ stock hydraulic throwout on a Quicktime conversion bell. Sourced the whole rotating assy (clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel) through American Powertrain. The master is a 3/4" bore from Wilwood, with some simple linkage to the pedal. Some guys use braided hose to mate the master to the bearing, I hard lined it to the edge of the trans tunnel and used a short length of carbon fiber hose (wont chew thru your paint if it rubs) for strain relief to the hydraulic bearing.

Attachments

• 20150510_201801.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 446
Thats the easy part. Everybody wrecks them!

http://www.donscharfautomotive.net/

These guys specialize in wrecked Vipers. They took me on a tour of the grounds when I picked up my trans. Acres of crashed cars in various states of damage. Industrial racks stuffed with engines, trans, rears, etc... Judging by the looks of this place, there are no more Vipers on the road. :)

Got my throttle sorted out. It is now fully drivable and road worthy. Got it out on the highway and opened it up. No vibrations, drove like a dream. Afterwards my brother (who was following me) tells me we were going about 120 when he pulled up beside me. Dont think we were really going that fast, but I will brag about it...

This video is me pulling the truck onto the street for the first time and abusing a brand new clutch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T55VMdZGlAw"]20150801 175447 0 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice! Congrats on getting it on the road, that first burnout is a hell of a feeling after all the work. Just put a new pinion seal in my dart tonight so I can resume the abuse!

Um, yes, you were going that fast. I was going faster. You might remember seeing me flying up on you like you were standing still. I slowed down and matched you at 118 mph. I love the video. Especially the end where you see that gorgeous Dart parked along the side of the road. I'm really happy you have a running vehicle and can have some fun as the summer winds down. Good work, bro!

Yeah, the only reason you caught up was that I was slowing down for the exit...

"My top end is uunn-limited!"

Well, not that I don't believe you, but I would be more than willing to race you. We can go from a stop or go for top end. I guarantee I'll take you off the line. I've been as high as 145 in this beast with more to give, but the front end is scary at that speed. How scary will yours be at that speed? Will it come down to who has the bigger balls? Let's see!

View attachment big balls.jpg

-
Back