Its ALIVE!!

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
The 64 Valiant may have died out in Central Indiana on the trip home but a couple of days later it started up again. Its fuel related. Either Vapor lock like some folks here said it might be or garbage in the tank creating an issue, also folks mentioned it might be. Im leaning on gas tank issues as the tank looks old. So....new tank, pickup, tank strap, grommet, line, pump, and filter will be getting replaced. Have to see if that solves the issues. Gas tank is dented anyhow so its a needed change. Unfortunately, I just filled the car up so 17/18 gallons of gas has to be siphoned out of the car. Having no place to dispose of this gas plans are to put a mesh over a funnel, dump the old gas into a 5 gallon can X3 and filter out any stuff and use it for the lawn tractor. Going to get into this next week, hope it works?

If the sender is OEM have it rebuilt DONT replace it you will be very sorry if you dont

Curious Dana67, why is that? Replaced many senders over the years and never had issues, something im missing here?

Most of the new senders are Chinese in origin & are not worth the headaches of trying to calibrate to your gauge. Ask us how we (FABO members) know.

Real vapor lock is EXTREMELY rare, so don't get lost in that rabbit hole. I wouldn't rule it completely out, but I am almost certain that ain't it.

Real vapor lock is EXTREMELY rare, so don't get lost in that rabbit hole. I wouldn't rule it completely out, but I am almost certain that ain't it.
Im thinking the same, I've been messing with slants for over 40 years, never had Vapor lock, even with headers and bigger carbs and intakes but, its a small deviation routing the gas line a bit better and I want to replace the old rusty one anyhow. Its more the tank im concerned about. It stinks like gas by this tank so there is something letting the fumes out so the tank, blanket, strap, and j bolt will be the first stuff to change, probably cleanup and reuse the old sender, leave the fuel line fir a later repair as well as the pump. This all depends on the amount of garbage I get out of the tank.

If you end up getting a new tank do NOT have it lined. New tanks are all electro plated on the inside and a gas tank lining will not stick and will flake off and get into the fuel system. So word to the wise.

-
Back