Its gotta hemi.....56 desoto

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned this car before as a drivetrain donor. But if not, here's the specs and story. My buddy has had this 1956 firedome desoto 330 hemi for 30 years at least. His brother bought it a couple years old from a car lot, went to the military some years later and gave him the car. His son drove it, wheel cylinder in rear locked up in '94 and it got parked in a wooded field. Pigs, emus, llamas, and other farm animals have used the area for years. Fast forward, my son works off and on for him for last few years. Struck a deal a couple weeks back to do some of the work in trade for the car. Well the work is done, so we brought it home today. Got it cleaned up a little and turning over while still on the trailer. He wants to get it to run, move and stop and sell it as a running project. Lol, if he doesn't fall in love with it first. I know I have.
20190823_144216.jpg
20190823_144156.jpg
20190823_144229.jpg
20190823_181808.jpg
20190823_181818.jpg

That thing is in great shape, I know I would love to have something like that as a cruiser... just fix it up a bit, clean up the paint and chrome and drive the heck out of it.

Does it have a record player ? My buddy had one in the 80's and it had a 45 that pulled out of the dash, really cool.

Does it have a record player ? My buddy had one in the 80's and it had a 45 that pulled out of the dash, really cool.
I don't think it has a record player, but I'm going to take a second look to be sure . That would be very cool.

Looks like a decent car. I bought a '55 or '56 DeSoto once for the drivetrain. Never knew exactly what year it was, didn't get a title. Somebody had swapped in a '55 331 Chrysler and I had to buy whole car to get engine. Car had racing stickers plastered all over under the hood. A real Hot Rod ! It was very solid and HEAVY. I remember it fell off the trailer when we were unloading it and we played hell trying to get it straightened back around. But hey, we were young and probably under the influence.........still have the engine and 3 speed auto trans.

Looks like a decent car. I bought a '55 or '56 DeSoto once for the drivetrain. Never knew exactly what year it was, didn't get a title. Somebody had swapped in a '55 331 Chrysler and I had to buy whole car to get engine. Car had racing stickers plastered all over under the hood. A real Hot Rod ! It was very solid and HEAVY. I remember it fell off the trailer when we were unloading it and we played hell trying to get it straightened back around. But hey, we were young and probably under the influence.........still have the engine and 3 speed auto trans.
Are you going to build a rig for the drivetrain? I can see it in a way cool rat rod.

Helped a buddy tow a badly rusted 56 two dr home many yrs ago. Trunk was full of misc. parts and junk. When we got to his place there was nothing left in trunk. Love the fin cars

We're going to get it off the trailer and into the shop today. Lol, after we get it cleaned out inside and make sure all the rodents bailed out if they didn't get out before we got it out of the guys field.

Are you going to build a rig for the drivetrain? I can see it in a way cool rat rod.

I ended up coming across a 354 Chrysler not long after getting the 331, so used that engine instead. So the 331 just sits now. First put the 354 in a 1965 Valiant station wagon project, but ended up pulling it and putting it in a straight axle, flip front end, '55 Chevy.

-
Back