It's hot what AC system to use

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
I've put 12,000 miles on my 67 with 5.7 but now I need cold air on the inside what is being used

I'm also interested in this subject. I'd like to hear what others are doing.

I have often wondered If I could plumb the late model compressor into the existing factory 69(in my case) system and use the original controls and such. Hopefully some great info will come up.

Awesome to hear you are enjoying your swap. I remember seeing it at Mopars at the motor plea a couple years ago. Cool ride.

I'm going to be using the 6.1L compressor with a Vintage Air Gen IV. Vintage Air said they have everything to finish up the install.

Riddler

I have checked out vintage air they are here in San Antonio but I would like to hear from someone who has a system installed and working. They are wanting to use a guys car locally here to make an A body kit but they want a 318 to Mach up brackets and we have the car but no extra motor

I have installed the factory system inside and then purchased an under hood kit from Buchillion Performance PN 6651A http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/470/545 I also purchased adapters to connect to the compressor on my hemi truck engine PN 6644 from Buchillion.

I only got everything going at the end end of the summer and barely had a chance to drive it and test things out. I'm not sure what was giving me trouble but it would cool great at an idle and then work poorly on the highway. I know I have some work to do when it warms up again to get everything working properly.

I installed the "Perfect Fit" unit from Classic Auto Air in my 69 340 Barracuda. It works really well. You'd have to call them about the differences due to your engine. If the bulk of the unit still fit, and they could provide the correct brackets/compressor, you'd have it made. My only problem with their unit was that the instructions were not so great.

Vintage air is nice, but the firewall pass through is absolutely garbage. If you buy one of these, you must buy some type of bulletin firewall bulkhead. The other drawback to these systems is the miles of soft ducting under the dash. I've done several retrofits using the oe evaporator and modern underhood components.

I only got everything going at the end end of the summer and barely had a chance to drive it and test things out. I'm not sure what was giving me trouble but it would cool great at an idle and then work poorly on the highway. I know I have some work to do when it warms up again to get everything working properly.

I have found on systems that have good cooling at idle then warm up when driving ,if it uses a hot water shut off valve a lot of times the extra flow of coolant with extra rpm's will get through the valve and heat up the heater core and warm things up. I have had to add a shut off valve that completely shuts off flow. Just something to check. This is assuming your pressures are good and you have cold in and out of your evaporator when its happening.

Attachments

• FSS-84705.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 194
Very nice info I did call classicauto air and they do have a kit that is a replacement for factory heat only cars not factory air with the push buttons and it will work with the truck compressor. You have to use the original controls they are not provided. Restomod Air is the sister company and they have realy nice bulkhead plates but there system requires you to flatten out your firewall mine is already running and painted and I am not taking it all out and starting over.

-
Back