memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Arkansas dear season is coming in and I just learned this :-k
Zone 4A and 5A:
Nov. 14-Dec. 13, 2009.
In zones 4, 4B, 5 and 5B, modern guns are restricted to shotguns .410 or larger with slugs. Pistols having barrels that are no less than 4 inches nor longer than 10 inches in length chambered specifically for straight wall centerfire cartridge cases and hunting with lead, lead alloy, soft nose and/or hollow point bullets no less than .30 caliber in diameter also may be used. Muzzleloading rifles also are allowed.

This is new news to me :love4: or it's is a new law, and or I am behind and never was told.
I think I will leave the shot gun home this year :-k
A good steady hand and scoope might be better on my ol bones shooting and keeping it holstered :dontknow:
I have a side arm but it's just a 22.
I figure I never shoot over 80 yards with my shot gun to be sure of a good kill
Even though the 20 gage wing master is lighter then the single shot H&R I used last year.
If you have any info on a good revolver that will fill my need's That will hold a scoope Chime in please.
So far I am shooting an 870 Remington Magnum Wingmaster.
Remember :-k no junk and best price for nock down and range :-k

I bet the pistol law has always been in and I did not know it :-|

Drag race day 073.jpg

Hmmm, straight-walled pistol cartridge of .30 caliber or greater with a barrel length between 4" and 10"...if not for the straight-walled requirement, I'd suggest a CZ-52...cheap, reliable, and the 7.62x25 is about one of the fastest small-bore pistol rounds available...and hunting legal if you don't mind filing the metal jacket off the tips of most of the ammo you can find...

S&W 44 magnum fits the bill. .45 long Colt, .45 ACP, 38 Special .357 Magnum, etc...

Up north we have similar requirements for "short range weapons only" hunts. Typically in the developed farmland areas.

Personally, I'd go looking for a rifled slug barrel for your 12ga or remove your choke and use a saboted slug.

how about one of the hand held cannons, S&W 460 or 500 Magnum?

Wow memike, thats quite a change. Here we have no restrictions yet but north of the Ozarks it's 8 point or bigger only.
This is my old 1921 "Volunteer" brand 12 gauge long tom I'm using this year. This old gun has been with me all my life. Took it out and put 3 out of 5 in a 3" circle at 100 yards with those new sabot slugs. This is the first year with it but I am thinking I won't even have a 100 yard shot where I am hunting so I 'm not scared! Good luck to you, looking forward to seeing pics of the Big one!!

long tom.jpg

Wow memike, thats quite a change. Here we have no restrictions yet but north of the Ozarks it's 8 point or bigger only.
This is my old 1921 "Volunteer" brand 12 gauge long tom I'm using this year. This old gun has been with me all my life. Took it out and put 3 out of 5 in a 3" circle at 100 yards with those new sabot slugs. This is the first year with it but I am thinking I won't even have a 100 yard shot where I am hunting so I 'm not scared! Good luck to you, looking forward to seeing pics of the Big one!!

Yea I could see me shooting that nice old 12 gage :toothy7:
It would take my right side off for a month :blackeye:
That is why the 20 gage mag, It's not going to tear my shoulder off.

4 or 6in model 686 S&W 357 magnum
Thank you Dart, Will that model hold a scoope and I need a good range 125 150 yards, Is this possible with out dropping it in on him ?

Lots of people on here hunt?
Ya there is, Jack is out and a few others I would think, And I know Small Block is ready.

I have a S&W .357 model 686. love that thing.
Have you tested the range with a good fast hollow point ?
and I will definitely want a scoope scope scoop how ever ya spell it :dontknow:
I do have a pasture to shoot in and brush, So I am thinking :-k

Mine was stolen when my "cabin" was robbed many years ago so I haven't checked prices lately but it was one very fine pistol. Thompson Contender, single shot, many inter-changeable barrels, rim & center-fire ( neat rotateable pin striker in hammer ), excellent iron sights. Check out barrel selections.

i have short barrel pump action 12ga shotgun pretty nice

Mine was stolen when my "cabin" was robbed many years ago so I haven't checked prices lately but it was one very fine pistol. Thompson Contender, single shot, many inter-changeable barrels, rim & center-fire ( neat rotateable pin striker in hammer ), excellent iron sights. Check out barrel selections.
Thank you bargeahead :-k I will look it up a single shot pistol reloads nicely if I remember right

i have short barrel pump action 12ga shotgun pretty nice
I am on the ground allot, and a holstered gun would be nice for the area's I work like a bird dog , Stop and step...stop.....step STOP!!!!! :blackeye:

Thank you bargeahead :-k I will look it up a single shot pistol reloads nicely if I remember right

Again, one very fine pistol; the action breaks from a hinge pin under the removeable forestock and by squeezing back on the finger flange of the trigger guard. I may not be good with descriptive wording but one glance a a pic of the weapon will explain all. Best of luck/good hunting.

They are about 450-500 now a days bargeahead, that was a severe loss for you man. I would give anything to have one of those they are sweet.

most of the time I shoot PMC 158gr. at the 25 yard range it does pretty good. The only time I got a hold of a couple boxes of remington hollow point 158gr. it was probably about the same distance. We were having fun making tooth picks out of 2x4's.

They are about 450-500 now a days bargeahead, that was a severe loss for you man. I would give anything to have one of those they are sweet.

ouch....Major OUCH ! Mine had a 10" 357. I even had a gunsmith take down the trigger travel adjustment on the back side of the trigger guard to stop skinning my knuckle. He charged me $40 for the "work" and $100 for disassembly/reassembly. Expect PM

Hey Memike I think that a Taurus Raging Bull chambered in 480 Ruger fits the bill. I used to own one of these that I packed while bear hunting and loved it, but a guy at the gun range made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It is a blast to shoot and actually not a ton of recoil because of the muzzlebreak and weight of the gun. I have shot 44 mags with more recoil, but this has twice the kinetic energy. Over 1,300 foot pounds of energy from a 325 grain bullet and only 2.7" of drop at 100 yards. You can actually shoot up to a 400 grain bullet out of it. These pistols can be found used for around $600. I should have never have sold it. I'm kind of a gun nut.

480_8_s.jpg

Ruger super black hawk with a scope 44mag

That is a gun I was just looking at and was told to go to a pond shop and put my hands on it and see how it feels, Thank you joesnow.

Hey Memike I think that a Taurus Raging Bull chambered in 480 Ruger fits the bill. I used to own one of these that I packed while bear hunting and loved it, but a guy at the gun range made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It is a blast to shoot and actually not a ton of recoil because of the muzzlebreak and weight of the gun. I have shot 44 mags with more recoil, but this has twice the kinetic energy. Over 1,300 foot pounds of energy from a 325 grain bullet and only 2.7" of drop at 100 yards. You can actually shoot up to a 400 grain bullet out of it. These pistols can be found used for around $600. I should have never have sold it. I'm kind of a gun nut.
I like the long barrel and the grip looks to be fitting my small hand :-k
And it has real good range :love4:

Dont remember on barrel length think it was 10 inches, hunted several years with Thompson/Contender in 35 Rem...very effective

Dont remember on barrel length think it was 10 inches, hunted several years with Thompson/Contender in 35 Rem...very effective

If one is ok w/single shot the Contender has ??? barrels available. When first introduced there was a 410 barrel but the "sawed-off" law squashed that and ...if not mistaken....all Contender barrels are scope ready.

Yall are giving me some good info here !! Thank you

-
Back