I've searched but...

-
I had a '70 Road Runner and the entire underneath was nicely painted. The car was not restored (this was 1975) and it only had 27,000 miles on it. Like I said before, there really is no "factory correct" when it comes to this subject.

Primer color varied too. I heard that a lot of leftover "paint" made its way into that vat of primer, so while basically grey, it could be tinted too. GM cars exhibit this variation too.

Lots of people see stuff on a car & rigidly think they all came that way & only that way is "correct". The truth of the matter is that there was a great deal of variation. Anything that was done by a line worker with minimal oversight could be done quite a bit differently & still roll on down the line. One of the reasons they automated most things now. I have an original 70 RR which had almost no overspray on the underbody & primer was a dull brown color, also with dipping drips.

Definetly awesome! The only this is, I'm trying to understand why you would paint the underside of a car? What about rock chips and road grime, leading to rust? Is it just going to stay in the garage as a monument? Are you going to invite people to lay down to appreciate your work?

Painting was just a personal preference, I put a lot of time making it look nice so why not go the extra yard? It actually provides much better rust resistance than the crappy primer they used & is not really subject to much in the way of road rash & is super easy to clean. I drive the car a lot in the nice weather but it's no winter beater either.

-
Back