J heads $200, snag them with the quickness? FEEDBACK PLZ!

-

rabius75

Reaction score
i was at the local yard talking to the owner who is supposed to be the local mopar guy, and he said he had a set of J heads i could get for $200. he also offered me $200 for my old buick that needs a transmission. should i grab these heads while i can? i mentioned id have to have them shaved down to reduce combustion chamber size, and he was like "i dont know, you got me there.." (some mopar fan :p ) but i was thinking about offering him the car for the heads and a 4 bbl intake manifold for my car..

FEEDBACK PLZ!!

If you can trade the buick for the heads and the intake I think its a fair deal.

Are the heads complete - meaning rockers, shafts, valves, springs, etc?

Or are they just bare heads?

If they're complete and fresh, go for it. If not, I think that's too much. I just saw a set of blasted & tanked 360 heads on eBay for $50.

I sold a set of complete '974 heads, with Milodon valves and good springs for $250 not too long ago. But those heads were in excellent shape and had been pulled off a running motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33617&item=2472510347

well, im not sure, he said 'nice J heads' i think ill go look at them today. where should i look for cracks and signs of damage, besides between the valves? i dont want to think they are good and find a huge flaw later on.
i would guess they have springs and valves in them w/ rockers.

the heads are pretty solid, theyre still on the block of a 360, in the trunk of an imperial, need to be port polished, a touch of surface rust inside the ports. all they are missing is valve covers, which im gonna buy new ones anyway. i figure if i can get the manifold and heads from them, ill make off like a bandit.. then ill get the heads machined, polish the ports, and get new springs, and grab a carb. then my 318 will be the 318 that could :)

the guy that showed me where the heads were is a mopar fanatic too. he had a dodge van with a 318 police edition in it, he said "300hp out of the ugliest van imaginable.." so i guess ill get him to help me build my motor, he is local, and after i talk to him some more, ill see if he can and will help me.

If you pop those heads on a 318, your compression will drop - the 360 heads have a larger combustion chamber than the 318 heads. As long as they're off the motor, and you're gonna polish up the ports, you might as well mill them a bit too. And you should use a 360 intake, the port sizes are different (larger) than 318 heads.

Why don't you trade him your buick for the whole 360 :?: That way you can built the 360 on the side while you drive your car and you'll end up with more cubes in the end :wink:

im aware of having to mill the heads down to even out the compression.. didnt i meantion that? oh well... this is true.

but the guy is a hardass, im having to push him to get the heads and manifold for the car. if i get the intake manifold, he will have to trade one of the guys in the yard something for it because he doesnt have one in the yard, one of the guys has it in his personal collection :)

im gonna ask him how much of a difference in cost id have to pay him to get the whole 360 for the buick. the motor that those heads are on doesnt have an intake manifold on it, needless to say it doesnt have anything that goes on the manifold either.

it would be nice to have a 360 to build up and slap in that ****... but what about my tranny? stock.. and i dont have the money for another one. 727 i think it is. is that strong enough? im guessing its not.

Is a 727 strong enough....I have been racing my 360 in my Dart with a 904 behind it for years. And that was with stock convertor and I have been known to put 3 stages of nitrous on it for the right grudge run.

I now have a 727 behind my 360 due to some bad luck where my 904 and convertor was mistakenly thrown out. *LONG DRAMA STORY*

If you don't get the 360...I will keep my eyes open for a silly deal and turn you on to it if I hear one.

-Eric-

Rabius your car should have a 904 in it if its stock. I would keep it over the 727. Its plenty strong and takes less power to spin.

if he wont swap the whole buick for a 360 tell him to pound sand. Go to another yard and look around 360 are pretty common and rather cheap.

Haven't seen the Buick but a core motor can't be worth more than $150.00 could it? What do you guys pay for stuff down there?

your right $150 to $200 for a core motor is about right, thats why said tell that guy to pound sand. Hey Rabius dont let that guy jerk you around check some other yards before you make a deal. He will take and part out that buick and make 5 times as much as that motor is worth. The least he can give you is the whole 360 and he is still getting over on you.

well, this guy offered me $200 for the motor, but he didnt call yet. i dont know. the motor is TPI. 3800 series I (3.8L), Normally aspirated, 154,000 on it, still strong as hell though. i found another mopar guy, driving a 70 coronet w/318.

he said the same thing, get the whole motor. im gonna look about for one. he said the 904 is lighter, used in drag cars, get a shift kit. it would be fun to put a mildly built 360 in it ;)... gas mileage couldnt be any worse than it is now... i mean, i only get like 12/13 mpg, all ive done to it was put a flowmaster on it, and that should INCREASE the mileage...

as for thinking i have a 727, i have been seeing it and hearing it so much over the past few days, i had forgotten which one i had.

i had something important and relevant to say... but i totally forgot what it was..

-
Back