J heads on 1988 roller 360?

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
Hey guys I just picked up a late LA style roller 360 short block for my dart. I was reading in the book called how to hot rod a small block mopar and it said that on the roller cam engines I cannot use early 318 heads because the push rod holes are not the enlarged style. My question is, can I use my j heads since they are 340/360 style, but I believe they have the same size push rod holes as all pre roller heads. So if someone has an answer for me that would be awesome.

Mock it up and test fit. If the holes need grinding, open them up.

I've had to grind edelbrock heads using hyd rollers along with plenty of others. It's a normal occurance.

Hey Cracked, is it a pushrod size difference? That would be an issue. Also, the angle of the pushrods could come into play being that the roller lifters and the Hyd. lifters are of a different height. This would pose a problem with thick pushrods.

We put some J heads on a 360 roller, we had the holes for the push rods bored out bigger to accommodate the push rod angle and it seems to work fine. We also put on roller rockers and order push rods to the length we needed.

also some later roller motors dint have the oil hole in the block for rocker arm oiling the block was cast for it but not drilled but you shouldnt have this issue with 1988 version

Hey Cracked, is it a pushrod size difference? That would be an issue. Also, the angle of the pushrods could come into play being that the roller lifters and the Hyd. lifters are of a different height. This would pose a problem with thick pushrods.

No it not the Pushrod thickness, just the a different angle that's all. I had to have my rpm heads Pushrod holes opened up to deal with the new angle given off by the roller cam/roller lifter setup.

Thanks! I have 2 roller blocks awaiting a build up.

It's the lifter height the alters the angle a bit. Here's the formerly round holes in a set of ede's that got done. The issue isn't the side to side, it's from the intake face to exhaust face direction. I make them look oval.

edeheadprhole1.jpg

edeheadprhole.jpg

Thanks Cracked.

Are the new engine pushrods thicker? As in the OE roller P-rods.

-
Back