Jacks: 69 cuda fastback

-
Well i got to primer the engine bay today wooo (thanks to my dads help) i was a lil rusty so he had to guide me, but i ended up spraying 90% of the primer :lol: fun stuff. well here are some pics

farpg4.jpg

frameprimerfp8.jpg

fronttl6.jpg

shinegx3.jpg

sidebeforeandaftermf2.jpg

i'll post the painting shots tomorrow, woo i cant wait hopefully my dad will call me in to school so i can paint the car and get it out of his way :thumbup: O and while i was mixing paint my mom came in and i got a letter from my local tech school i was accepted to start in the auto finishing center woo :toothy7: good news

Great progress.You`re doing a great job
Keep them pics coming

Well i finaly got to paint the engine bay last night woo, had to clear it before i went to work and sprayed the base on my lunch break :lol:I painted as much as i could, but my dad did the final touches :thumbup:

Dad Spraying (i'll get pics of myself painting later)
paintingkj1.jpg

Base Coat:
beforecleartj1.jpg

CLEAR and all finished off, i was taking tape off of the brake lines and such.
farfinishedsj0.jpg

finishedgj9.jpg

looks pretty dam good eh, haha im happy with it, im going to spray the k frame and such tonight. then start putting her back together, hopefully have the engine in tonight, (fingers crossed)

Alot of people would have kicked that car to the curb because of the rust, you have done a great job.

Chuck

well i got to install the engine and trans in her last night, and thank god i got no scratches on anything. Thanks dad and all of my friends who helped :thumbup:

enginewithvalvecoversof3.jpg

engineinstallyv3.jpg

engineinstalledtf8.jpg

dang it looks nice, woo well today i gotta go get some misc parts like a carb rebuild kit and belts and all the little stuff so i can start her :thumbup:

your car has come a long way. looks great. finally the progress shows through all the cleaning, stripping part.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!!!!!....................

well last night i finished up the major parts, and now all i got is the trans lines need to be made, the carb needs a rebuild(down the road i wanna fire her up) and im having some alternator bracket problems :angry4: the stupid thing wont line up, and im trying to recall how i had it last time, well i'll keep my eye open.
enginexi0.jpg

Way to go! Man I wish I had just a small amount of your energy and drive. If so I might get my Duster going this summer. When do you have time to sleep? lol
Bob

Well as what happens to most people, you run into problems, sometimes (like me) you run in to them at the most annoying time. I was adding antifreeze and trans fluid to my car and yay it leaked....well it started off being the bypass hose (no biggy i have an extra one) replaced that, then apon farther inspection we noticed the waterpump was dripping i check under nieth it and yep it was the weep hole, so i had to get a new one, what a pain, so yesterday i went to work got one, came home pulled the old one off, and broke off the top most waterpump bolt off in the aluminum housing :angry4: well after some swearing, no biggy there is still a a piece of it sticking out. well then later i figure out WRONG WATERPUMP, awh, its a 69 motor wth, so i check ac and non ac motor, both of them exit the drivers side(i though all sb waterpumps exit passenger side?) anyways i got that figured out after looking in the books (and getting paid to look up stuff for my car cant beat that :) ) well its a 70-79 waterpump for a 318, ok done, get home we heat up the bolt still nothing, wont budge, break off what stud we have left, we tried using an impact screw driver and slicing a notch in the bolt to turn it out, nodda, then we use a reverse drill bit, and a easy out, nothing, actually we snaped my dads tap and die turning piece (dont know name its matco) no luck, well we decide now we have to drill it out, so we go about that, and we have about 85% of the bolt out and still no luck, hm now that i think about it can i heli coil it??? One thing my dad and his friends mentioned is we will probably have to put some ugly *** nut on the back side of the. what a pain im so close to driving her and then this happens. O and my tranny dipstick leaks to at the base where the factory welds hold on the bracket, i did some tacks around it the best i could, i guess we will have to see how that holds up. i was up untill 2 last night doing misc things on her, got the carpet it (dad went to bed) so there was not much more i could do so me and a friend decided to tackle it. I'll be doing more on this today i'll try and get some more pics up soon.

drill 2.JPG

small 1.JPG

small 2.JPG

Jack, you could probably go to the next size up bolt and just tap that hole right out then drill the water pump hole out slightly. Running a nut on the back will probably work fine also, once painted it won't be very noticable.

actually we ended up getting to tap it out, and not drill a bigger hole :headbang: also under engine issues i discussed that i couldnt get my car to start, well it ended up being that my less then 1 year coil was bad, i put on one we had laying around and she right up. Also we had some carb problems, ended up forgeting to connect the choke, so that made the old 2bbl run good, and i finaly got to take it out on the streets, on my Graduation day (just graduated yesterday May 27th) woo so 6 of my buddies piled in my car and we went down the road in back. the car got up and moved ok from a roll, i didnt expect much, but it was sure as hell fun, got alot of looks, with no front end on and 6 people inside :headbang: man it was fun. Next is to finish the other fender so i can go to the local cruises :D

topdonebm8.jpg

The finish product, yes i know the air cleaner looks like crap but it didnt make sence to buy one, then guy another one for the 4bbl :headbang:

0601071358gv2.jpg

Looking great, Jack!
This thread is a big part of my inspiration on my notch.

intakelf9.jpg

well i took some zinc or what ever its called (don't recall name) to the intake it looks a lil better any suggestions on cleaning it? my dad mentioned some like acid stuff they use on semi's or something that he use to use, worked really good

most cleaners are harsh to aluminum. put it in the oven and bake it to soften the grease and then shoot it with engine degreaser and rinse with hot water. then beadblast it.

well i did some work today on the new intake and carb. My friend was discussing holley carbs with me and mentioned that people put mettering blocks on the secondaries of the carb i have this allows them to change gets as apposed to drilling holes in the secondary fuel holes, sounded like a good idea to me and he has an extra carb same as i have laying around, tomorrow im going to dip the carb so its all clean.
cleanintakeqj9.jpg

carbdisassemblegg7.jpg

Looking good jack!
The intake turned out good, Keep it up and good luck with the carb.

-
Back