Jay Leno Showing The GTS Dart Some Love

-
Yeah Jay has taste he really has some nice vehicles showcased on his show. Its good to see how the cars really can be restored to a very nice condition. No Uncle Tony scrap heap cars pulled out of the Junkyards, woods and flood zones there...:)

Jay probably buys 'em all done all he has to do is putz around "in the shop" wiping on them with a microfiber cloth...that's the life eh? I cant wait till my Dart is in paint and that's all I'm doing LOL!

He said in the video that he had it restored. Kim
I'm curious what that would cost to pay someone to do the work...any more I think its worth it to save and pay for one already done LOL! its as though you'd spend the money anyway doing it yourself...

Jay probably buys 'em all done all he has to do is putz around "in the shop" wiping on them with a microfiber cloth...that's the life eh? I cant wait till my Dart is in paint and that's all I'm doing LOL!

Hey Dartswinger70, I felt the same way when my '69 Dart first went to the paint shop.
I sure hope your experience is much better than mine was.
Five paint shops and almost 4 years later, mine finally was finished in paint and back home in my garage...a painted shell now needing complete reassembly.

Last edited:
well I'm doing mine myself, and its taking a while but...its more than halfway there. I am at the point of applying a second coat of primer and a guidecoat...

I'm curious what that would cost to pay someone to do the work...any more I think its worth it to save and pay for one already done LOL! its as though you'd spend the money anyway doing it yourself...
I would buy one that's already done. It's kind of a nightmare to restore any car.

That's a misinformation, he didn't write for car craft it was "Mopar Action" and or Dragzine and his magazine career was short lived he basically rehashed old street race stories and wives tales he's a story teller...its all campfire stories nothing he does with cars is proven just look at the junk he runs...Tony is the typical jackoff that had a car in a garage in an alley in town back in the day that never goes any where why? because he's broke and cant get it going ....that's who Tony is, his skills reflect that and that's who his audience is. They sit in the garage smoke cigarettes drink cheap beer and tell stories about "how badass" the car is going to be some day...ok, my "Tony bash" is done for today...:)

He has his own restoration crew in shop, every once in awhile he`ll do an update on cars his guys are working on for him. dream job...

He does have his own resto crew but he likes to do stuff himself as much as he can. I think it was earlier this year he got burned pretty badly when he was working on one of his cars that sprung a big fuel leak and caught on fire. If you watch his videos on his steam cars he goes into so much detail about how they work that it's pretty clear he was personally heavily involved in getting the cars restored and running. Most guys in his position would just have the crew do everything and not bother getting their hands dirty.

That's a misinformation, he didn't write for car craft it was "Mopar Action" and or Dragzine and his magazine career was short lived he basically rehashed old street race stories and wives tales he's a story teller...its all campfire stories nothing he does with cars is proven just look at the junk he runs...Tony is the typical jackoff that had a car in a garage in an alley in town back in the day that never goes any where why? because he's broke and cant get it going ....that's who Tony is, his skills reflect that and that's who his audience is. They sit in the garage smoke cigarettes drink cheap beer and tell stories about "how badass" the car is going to be some day...ok, my "Tony bash" is done for today...:)
Interesting. I saw a video where he did a backyard build on a 318 and the guy running the dyno couldn't test it because the motor had metal shavings in it. I stand corrected on the magazine he wrote for.

He does have his own resto crew but he likes to do stuff himself as much as he can. I think it was earlier this year he got burned pretty badly when he was working on one of his cars that sprung a big fuel leak and caught on fire. If you watch his videos on his steam cars he goes into so much detail about how they work that it's pretty clear he was personally heavily involved in getting the cars restored and running. Most guys in his position would just have the crew do everything and not bother getting their hands dirty.
Laying down to fire off his steam car is working on them?OK if you insist. I`ve never seen his hands dirty, I`ve never seen him say this is what I`m working on. I could see him tinkering with his bikes. Pull up a video of Jay actually working on something. Why would he, he`s paying all those guys big bucks to do that stuff so he doesn`t have to.

Laying down to fire off his steam car is working on them?OK if you insist. I`ve never seen his hands dirty, I`ve never seen him say this is what I`m working on. I could see him tinkering with his bikes. Pull up a video of Jay actually working on something. Why would he, he`s paying all those guys big bucks to do that stuff so he doesn`t have to.

I mean, he got 3rd-degree burns all over his hands and face from a gasoline fire and laughs off the incident like it was nothing. Look it up.

No he's not "wrenching" in this video but notice the detail he goes into for every little part... can't learn that just from having your guys do it. He's a real gearhead and actually ENJOYS being in the shop. He pays those guys (who are truly skilled and one-of-a-kind craftsmen) big bucks to do things he doesn't have the skills for. Normally I wouldn't bother defending some rich and famous celebrity former talk-show host because I can't stand them but Jay is one of the handful of rich and famous people I actually hope to meet, if that means anything.

Interesting. I saw a video where he did a backyard build on a 318 and the guy running the dyno couldn't test it because the motor had metal shavings in it. I stand corrected on the magazine he wrote for.
I will admit Tony has talent but not at what he says he has talent for. I mean you can't hang out at a race track then say you are a racer you would be a spectator... see what I mean? He may have ran down the track at test and tune but that's not really racing is it?

No he's not "wrenching" in this video
Of course not. He has all those guys and a token, to wrench on his stuff.
I`m not bashing Jay, love the guy, knowledgeable on a lot of stuff, but you won`t find a vid of him working on any thing. He was taught to fire off his steam boiler`s and got bit.
He learned a valuable lesson that day. We`ll see if he crawls under again or has one of his guys fire it next time.

I ran into Jay in Hollywood walking the sidewalk. He took pictures with us and was really nice and genuine. True story. Also while cruising sunset strip we look over at the car next to us and it's Fabio at the wheel. That was the only time I ever went there to sight see.

Other than the GTS package with the big block, that looks a lot like what I want my heap to look like someday. Great video.

-
Back