Jay Leno's Hemi under glass rollover!

-
Saw that a few days ago. It really sucks to see that car roll over like that but I think they will rebuild it. Luckily nobody was hurt.

So moral of this story is a mid engine blown Hemi powered Barracuda doesn't corner. Center of gravity too high, and too far back.

And Ralph thought the Corvair wasn't safe :)

I doubt Bob drives much with a passenger. The weight distribution changed enough, what was possible with driver only, was not possible with Jay.

Yea, first mistake was doing this centerfield on an oval track instead of the drag strip where it was designed to run.

Good Tribute to how strong the back Glass is.. I guess i need not worry about mine breaking.

I actually saw that car in it's original configuration in 69 or 70 at a car show in the Puget sound area.
If I had only known what I was seeing--------------------

Indeed it is a plexiglass window. That body was one of mine that I rescued from an Arizona junkyard and gave to Bob. He built it but the shop I worked with painted and lettered the car. Bob had over two dozen HUG's since the first 65 was built, so there is no such thing as a clone if he built it and drove it! BTW, that body was an original 383 4-speed but was completely stripped when I got it. He had put a couple of innovations in the 69 car that he always wanted to do. He has another body now and it will be back together sometime this year. I had to go to Mecum in Wisconsin before Mopars at the Strip to retrieve his 68 car so he could make the last run at the show. It is only the second time he had ever wrecked one of the HUG's in 50 years!

Glad Bob's Not giving it up yet... :)
Indeed it is a plexiglass window. That body was one of mine that I rescued from an Arizona junkyard and gave to Bob. He built it but the shop I worked with painted and lettered the car. Bob had over two dozen HUG's since the first 65 was built, so there is no such thing as a clone if he built it and drove it! BTW, that body was an original 383 4-speed but was completely stripped when I got it. He had put a couple of innovations in the 69 car that he always wanted to do. He has another body now and it will be back together sometime this year. I had to go to Mecum in Wisconsin before Mopars at the Strip to retrieve his 68 car so he could make the last run at the show. It is only the second time he had ever wrecked one of the HUG's in 50 years!

Man that sucks! You know he's upset about that. Love these old timers still going at it. NHRA has become so corporate, these guys like Bob are the real deal. I have never met Bob personally but I have talked with Arnie the Farmer Beswick many many times since I raced at his local track not far from his house, these old timers have great stories, I hope I can still drive a race car at their age.

-
Back