Jeep 4.0 in 69 Barracuda

-
Good Bye, Be safe, See you soon in better shape.
Sorry, I dont know any prayers to the Mopar Gods to speak of.

20220513_154642.jpg

I have mixed news. The bad news, I was correct on the Oil pan hitting the factory A-Body steering linkage. So bad that the linkage goes thru the middle of the Sump on the 4.0L pan. For this to be done with an all OEM 4.0L, the linkage has to be moved forward with a rack and pinion steering such as how I started.

Now for the good news. OMFG ~ its installed. And it fits really well. Better than I expected. I have pictures to show.

The engine is able to sit similar to how it would in a Jeep. Off center to the passenger side 1 inch.
20220517_174655.jpg

Its amazing how much hood clearance I have. I was really hoping to fit under a factory hood.
20220517_173505.jpg

If you compare my earlier pictures to this, you will see that my clearance to the radiator location and the firewall are much greater than I originally thought.
20220517_173531.jpg

I expected 1 finger thickness of space between back of head and firewall, not 3. Even planned on notching the firewall a small amount if needed.
20220517_174137.jpg

So the oil pan is not as low as the second picture makes it look like. In order to get a picture of it, I had to point the camera up.
The oil pan sits below the K-Member about 2 inches.
20220517_173519.jpg

20220517_174630.jpg

And here is the bad news.
20220517_174551.jpg

And here is step one of the oil pan solution...
Oil Pan for 72-90 Jeep CJ Series & Wrangler YJ

So the Oil Pan Gasket is the same from 1972 thru 2004 for the inline 6 engines. Buy the pan in the link above and the correct pickup tube to match the pan. If those do not work, then the fabrication shop will work with me to cut and raise the bottom of the pan, or notch it to sit in-front of the steering linkage.

I am super stoked. It was done much faster than planned.

John

@75slant6 I really think I need to speak with you about the AX15 install. The fabricator claims he needs to hard mount the transmission to the cross member. No rubber mount. I am going to run with a hard mount for now and re address later. But a conversation off thread would be appreciated.

John

@75slant6 I really think I need to speak with you about the AX15 install. The fabricator claims he needs to hard mount the transmission to the cross member. No rubber mount. I am going to run with a hard mount for now and re address later. But a conversation off thread would be appreciated.

John
Sure thing. Shoot me a pm and I’ll help any way I can

Update, as of last night the Fabrication Shop has agreed to install the Ford 8.8 rear axle. They are going much faster than expected which disrupts my time line some and will add additional towing cost. That said, I can not complain, my dream car is getting built.

I bought Ford Explorer doughnuts to get it home with the hopes of having the funds to buy new tires when it finally comes home. With the situation involving the oil pan, I am probably going to be delaying the tire purchase for a year. :-(

With the additional cost, I am almost certain I will not be buying exhaust. I do need to address the exhaust again. I wanted a dual setup from the headers and a X pipe, but due to issues I am thinking a single pipe thru the cat converter to the muffler. Possibly single to the bumper which is so truck like :-(, maybe dual. But it will be fake. Nothing more than a Y pipe out the muffler. Not sure how a 90's era Firebird/camero style muffler would sound. Those sit sideways behind the axle with a single inlet on the driver side, and the outlets on the driver and passenger side. Typically 2.5in Inlet and 2.25 outlets. It may be better to just dump a single 2.5in pipe down to the ground after axle under the car.

I will keep everyone posted. Pictures to come as soon as it comes home. Youtube video as soon as I can show it start.

Run the linkage THROUGH the oil pan, Dick Landy Hemi style. It's caveman fabrication at best. Super easy. Two holes and a tube welded to the pan. Over and done. Screw that movin chit.
LANDY PAN.jpg

OMG, I love it....
Yeah, easy to do and paying homage to some of the greatest pro stock racers that ever lived. Plus, when the Chevy guys see it, their heads will explode. lol

RRR-1 beat me to it, I almost couldn't believe someone hadn't already chimed in with that.
I love this build so far. I miss my 4.0 ZJ, and I contemplated a 4.0 into a Dart on more than a couple times.

Based on the feedback from this thread as well as other comments, there seems to be very little haters. Not to say I wont meet up with some, or purist. But in general the response has been positive.
Personally, I like the idea. Record the 1st start-up & maiden voyage for us.

The Mopar and Jeep gods must be happy with me....
Following RustyRatRod suggestion, I went to my storage unit to see if I had a spare 4.0L oil pan. Now only did I find my spare 4.0L Oil Pan, I also owned a 258 mid sump oil pan as well.

So here is the current issue as shown in pictures above.

20220517_174551.jpg

Here is the 4.0L OEM oil pan
40Loilpan.jpeg

Here is the possible CJ/YJ 258 oil pan
258oilpan.jpeg

The Mopar and Jeep gods must be happy with me....
Following RustyRatRod suggestion, I went to my storage unit to see if I had a spare 4.0L oil pan. Now only did I find my spare 4.0L Oil Pan, I also owned a 258 mid sump oil pan as well.

So here is the current issue as shown in pictures above.

View attachment 1715930238

Here is the 4.0L OEM oil pan
View attachment 1715930240

Here is the possible CJ/YJ 258 oil pan
View attachment 1715930241
That's a big difference. You think the mid sump will fit?

Almost never seen anything so ridiculous and a huge waste of time in my life....I say almost because there is plenty of support on this forum for future members to do incredibly stupid ****.
And I’ve literally never seen a constructive comment from you in my life….
:drama:

And I’ve literally never seen a constructive comment from you in my life….
:drama:
I thought that was a mean thing to say to rusty...then I noticed you were talking to someone I have on ignore

That's a big difference. You think the mid sump will fit?

And to all with the same thought....

Both oil pans share the same gasket. Oil Pan gasket is the same for 1972 CJ with 258cid to the 2004 TJ 4.0L.

258 oil pan 1972 thru 1990 (CJ/ YJ Wrangler)
4.0L oil pan 1987 (XJ cherokee) thru 2004 (TJ Wrangler)

All of these years span AMC => Chevy => Chrysler (1987+)

The 258 oil screen can fit the 4.0L oil pump allowing the 258 pan to be installed on the 4.0L.
Oil pumps on both engines are the same in all ways including bolting location.

As it stands, I am faced with cutting a hole in my oil pan for the steering linkage to go thru. Since the 258 pan fits the 4.0l, the movement of the sump forward a little will not impact the K-Member, and at worst a notch in the back side of the oil pan for the steering link.

The use of the 258 oil pan means just under 2pints less oil capacity. That can be over come with a oil cooler.

Response from the Fabricator. He is booked solid and is unable to do additional work on my Barracuda. So I will be digging into the oil pan situation myself when it gets home.

I will get it towed home, work on changing the intake and exhaust manifold in-prep for ECU and harness. At the same time deal with Oil Pan situation. Afterwards get it towed to the Jeep shop for the electrical and ecu work.

The manifolds installed are for the Renix fuel management and I am switching over to the common HO (high output) fuel management.

No further updates to come until the car comes home.

john

I got news. Assuming payment is received today, the barracuda will be coming home tomorrow. We are dealing with a missing mailed check, and payment of the amount owing.

My car now has a Jeep 4.0L and transmission and a Ford 8.8 installed. It really is becoming a JEEP....

Just
Everybody
Else's
Parts

Once home, I will sort out the Oil Pan issue. Then its off to the next shop for Wiring Harness and ECU.

Next update hopefully tomorrow with pictures of the car in my yard.

John

I got news. Assuming payment is received today, the barracuda will be coming home tomorrow. We are dealing with a missing mailed check, and payment of the amount owing.

My car now has a Jeep 4.0L and transmission and a Ford 8.8 installed. It really is becoming a JEEP....

Just
Everybody
Else's
Parts

Once home, I will sort out the Oil Pan issue. Then its off to the next shop for Wiring Harness and ECU.

Next update hopefully tomorrow with pictures of the car in my yard.

John
You got pics of the trans mount the shop made?

You got pics of the trans mount the shop made?

Not yet. The shop hard mounted the trans to the cross-member. For now, this is acceptable. When I goto the AX15 I will re address the transmission mounting system.

As soon as it gets home, I will make plans to get the car in the air so I can start working on the oil pan. At that time, I will take pictures of the trans mounting.

John

Not yet. The shop hard mounted the trans to the cross-member. For now, this is acceptable. When I goto the AX15 I will re address the transmission mounting system.

As soon as it gets home, I will make plans to get the car in the air so I can start working on the oil pan. At that time, I will take pictures of the trans mounting.

John
I gotcha. Hadn’t realized you weren’t doing the AX-15 right away.

I gotcha. Hadn’t realized you weren’t doing the AX-15 right away.

I am concerned that the AX15 will require trans tunnel modifications. i have a BA-5 on the Engine from the Cherokee which is much smaller and would fit with out issue. To get the car in a derivable condition, I am running that. The AX15 will be the first thing I do when I am ready to goto the body shop for that kind of work to be done.

I am concerned that the AX15 will require trans tunnel modifications. i have a BA-5 on the Engine from the Cherokee which is much smaller and would fit with out issue. To get the car in a derivable condition, I am running that. The AX15 will be the first thing I do when I am ready to goto the body shop for that kind of work to be done.
At the very minimum, the AX-15 will at least require the upper crossmember to be cut out and re done. Maybe some sheet metal work as well, depending on where it’s sitting in relation to how it would be with a factory engine.

-
Back