Jeep burning up voltage regulators

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
I have a 1944 Willys Jeep and Its burnt up two regulators. I recently converted it to electronic ignition. Its running on a 12V system and desperately needs to be rewired. What happening is when the ignition is on (running or not) the voltage regulator get very hot and smokes. :angry4: I dont know if its a short because everything works. Any ideas??

Evan

I have no idea, let's start with WHAT KIND of alternator are you using and how do you think it's wired?

(Or hell, you using a generator?)

Its an alternator, its out of an F100, 1972 I think. I replaced it with a remaned one from napa last summer. I dont really know how its wired this jeep being 65 years old has had some really nasty wiring jobs done.

Pretty hard to answer, you might have better luck on one of the Ferd forums. You can google and find out how to hook up Ford regulators, BUT you do need to know "what you have."

If you have no warning lamp, and don't need one, I believe there's a way to hook up an OEM Ford with only two wires, just like the 69/ earlier Mopar systems.

It may be possible that it's a problem with the alternator, both GM and Ferd used to have a third wire that fed back to the regulator. Here again, if no warning lamp, it's not really needed.

One way 'o doin it:

ford-alternator-wiring-diagram.jpg

Ron Francis sells a "VR-88" which may or may not be a Ford with most of the terminals removed. It can be used on about anything, for 30 bucks, two wires to hook it up

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-VR88/

Thanks, I bought another regulator at A&A auto today. Im going to bite the bullet and buy a new wiring harness. Its an absolute nightmare when I have to do electrical work on it. Thanks for the help!

Electrical work (like anything else) is only a nightmare if you don't take the time to understand it. I find it's actually a lot of fun to troubleshoot electrical problems.

-
Back