Jeep Cherokee Rear 8.25

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
Question- the Jeep XJ's ran an 8.25" rear axle with LSD,
wheel mounting to wheel mounting (w/brakes installed) was 60"
my 66 Cuda's 7.25" dimension was 53.20" flange to flange.. what was the wheel mount to wheel mount length?
Im taking a guess and figuring its probably around 58-59" may 60" as well, but I need someone with a good knowledge of the early valiant/cuda's to double check my estimate...
Reason Im asking- Cherokee's inhabit my local junkyard like rabbits, Pick-n-pull back home sells the rear axles out of them for cheap. My neighbor from back home was there last night and saw a 00 XJ with LSD that just popped up on the lot, and the axle was 150$. Im thinking (oh god, me thinking.... )that the axle would fit almost the same, minus the perches being moved a bit, without having to shorten the shafts.

there have been a lot of threads on this. I even asked the same question some time ago. a ton of speculation , but I have yet to see a picture of one under an A body. people say do this , do that , but they have never done it themselves. I say buy a couple perches, cut off the old stuff and try it. I once measured mine , it came out to around 54 inches from backing plate to backing plate. this was a 96 XJ Cherokee. I don't see why it would not work. you might have to use different U joint , but I cant say for sure. sorry im no help, but I would like to see it done, just once LOL

If you measured out 54" between backing plates, then there is no reason it shouldn't work.. That's less than and inch difference from the 7.25.... Looks like it's project time. Now where can I find me some new perches and the shock mounts?

If you measured out 54" between backing plates, then there is no reason it shouldn't work.. That's less than and inch difference from the 7.25.... Looks like it's project time. Now where can I find me some new perches and the shock mounts?

there are perches on e bay

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRING-PERCH-FOR-2-IN-WIDE-LEAF-SPRINGS-x-18267-02-/371000841274?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56615f943a&vxp=mtr"]Spring Perch for 2 in Wide Leaf Springs x 18267 02 | eBay[/ame]

measure the axle tube and get the right U bolts, and matching shock mounts. you can mock it up first without welding the perches

so when you guys weld up your perches, do you use a jig, or do you just eyeball it? I was thinking of using two 4x4 wood blocks, pull the old axle, set the blocks under the perches to get my initial measurement, drilling a hole to put a stud in each block then using that as my template to get the new axle welded.. should keep the perches level with each other and straight...

Kinda hard to describe, I can draw it in my head lol

You asked for it - you got it!

I just finished installing a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 8 1/4 rear in my 68 Barracuda. I used the 9" brake drum setup from the Jeep and a driveshaft from a 78 Aspen. The e-brake cables mounted straight in. The Jeep brake flex hose also fit with the original steel brake hose. You have to remove the old perches, they are welded on the top of the housing. I was careful cutting off the perches so that I could reuse them. I had the perches welded back at a 5 degree angle, 43" center to center. You also need to cut off the Jeep shock mounts. If you really wanted to you could reweld one of them and use them for your a body shocks. I went with shock plates from an 8 3/4. I bought u-bolts from a Cherokee off eBay for $16 and used them to mount the housing.
For the driveshaft, I bought a unit from a 78 Aspen and used the slip yoke from the Barracuda. The Aspen slip yoke is just a little bit longer (about 3/4"). Oh, I have the 904 auto in the Barracuda. I bought u-joints from Autozone.The Barracuda, Aspen, and Cherokee u-joints are all the same, 13/16" cups, I believe.
For the wheels, I am running Mustang GT alloys. The Jeep rear is a little wider than the original, but I think the backspacing on the wheels makes up for it. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures.

Where does the pin line up in relation to the trans, cuda/mopars aren't centered, the driveline is off to the side, does the pin line up somewhat for the motor/trans line.

cherokee does not use the same joints as a aspen/cuda.

It's a Duralast 1-6301DL u-joint. Fits the Barracuda slip yoke, fits the Aspen driveshaft, fits the Jeep pinion yoke. It is a 1.078" cup, not the 13/16". The rear is a Chrysler 8 1/4 rear, not Dana. Now has a 92 Dakota Trac-Loc and 91 Jeep Cherokee 27 spline axles. Overall width w-m-s to w-m-s is approx. 60.5".

I think there was a thread on hear about using the ford 8.8. out of an explorer it has 31 spline and i think it is a little bit narrower then the jeep cherokee, my rear wheels set in just a bit more that the front, some have disk brakes and a number of different gear ratio's

It's a Duralast 1-6301DL u-joint. Fits the Barracuda slip yoke, fits the Aspen driveshaft, fits the Jeep pinion yoke. It is a 1.078" cup, not the 13/16". The rear is a Chrysler 8 1/4 rear, not Dana. Now has a 92 Dakota Trac-Loc and 91 Jeep Cherokee 27 spline axles. Overall width w-m-s to w-m-s is approx. 60.5".

Where is pinion center to the driveline center in the car.

The jeep uses dana 1310 even on the 8.25, and if it had the high angle option it would be 1330 ser

The aspen. cuda and every other mopar uses detroit dimensions until 94 when detroit went under.
You have a 7260 joint which has a cap diameter of 1.078 and right for the mopar, but BOTH versions of the Jeeps 8.25 are 1.063 caps.
You don't have the right cap or the right joint, and you need a 5-353x

-
Back