Jeep Cherokee Rims on a 74 Duster?

-

Sully1190

Look. It's a Gold Duster.
Reaction score
So, still trudging through this budget restoration of my 74 Gold Duster, and I think I've cut costs enough that I can go ahead and start considering replacements for the stock tires and rims on the vehicle, which are, frankly, pretty sad looking.

But, being the penny-pincher that I am, I am wondering if these rims off of the Jeep Cherokee in my father's back yard would fit. They're not the bare-bones stock ones, however, they are still from factory. They seem to be the same size as the stock rims. The bolt pattern matches, however, I was curious if they could be used without rubbing, or if the offset would be too much.

From what I've seen online, stock backspacing on Jeep rims is almost always 5.25"

Also, before you ask "why not try them on?" Well... All four tires on this Cherokee are very flat, and it's home to a metropolis of wasps. If I could get the information offline without any anaphylactic shock, that'd be prefered ^^ Thanks in advance.

Bolt pattern's the same, you'll have to just try 'em for backspace.

These are TEMPORARY rims on mine, I caught 'ell as you can see:

Backspace on these is perfect

I don't have the newer disk front end under 'er yet, so they only fit the back for now. I've got some ET spokers and slotted wheels for the front.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=172079

15n7g39.jpg

xbzott.jpg

11l7br6.jpg

the only time i have had an issue with jeep rims is on an 11" drum. and the backspace is extreme on some of these rims

Thanks. I was afraid that that would be the answer though ha. I suppose I'll just have to jack that old thing up and try to get the rims off. Maybe I can bring a hazmat suit home from work.

the only time i have had an issue with jeep rims is on an 11" drum. and the backspace is extreme on some of these rims

Thanks! Good to know it might have a chance. I like the rims, and it'd save a chunk.

Thanks. I was afraid that that would be the answer though ha. I suppose I'll just have to jack that old thing up and try to get the rims off. Maybe I can bring a hazmat suit home from work.

Thanks! Good to know it might have a chance. I like the rims, and it'd save a chunk.
do you have a pic? some of them are 16" .there is a big difference in backspace from the aluminum rims to the stock steel wheels. all base XJ cherokee and wrangler wheels 86-97 are 15" and a 5 on 4 1/2 pattern with at least 4 different styles of aluminum wheels. i cant tell you what the hub bore measures.some of the GJ wheels are 16" and are also a different backspace. 67s wheels i believe came off a Grand Cherokee.

I tried this on my 68 charger. They were fine in back, but did not fit right on the drum brake up front.

do you have a pic? some of them are 16" .there is a big difference in backspace from the aluminum rims to the stock steel wheels. all base XJ cherokee and wrangler wheels 86-97 are 15" and a 5 on 4 1/2 pattern with at least 4 different styles of aluminum wheels. i cant tell you what the hub bore measures.some of the GJ wheels are 16" and are also a different backspace. 67s wheels i believe came off a Grand Cherokee.

This isn't a picture of ours, but they're the exact same rims.

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/jeep_cherokee_comanche_parts_125_martinsville_29369085.jpg

i tried to use some aluminum wheels on my charger but they wouldnt work on the rear. they went on, but the backspace pulled them into my leaf springs and would not turn. i never did try them on the front disc brakes. the steel wheels worked out though.

This isn't a picture of ours, but they're the exact same rims.

i think you may run into a backspace issue with those, but i could be wrong. the aluminum wheels i tried were the cherokee mesh/laddice looking wheels. i really like those wheels though that you have pictured. they may work, im not sure of the backspace on those.

i think you may run into a backspace issue with those, but i could be wrong. the aluminum wheels i tried were the cherokee mesh/laddice looking wheels. i really like those wheels though that you have pictured. they may work, im not sure of the backspace on those.

I suppose I'll just have to check them out. Thanks though! I like them too.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know of a spacer or something that might could be used to fix that?

there are all kinds of spacers/adapters out there for a 4 1/2 pattern. spidertrax etc. if you go this route make sure you get some that are billit aluminum. they can get pricey. check out ebay. the last set i bought were 69.00 a pair

-
Back