Jeep Cherokee stalling

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I have 95 Cherokee with 300K miles. Lately, it has been stalling when fully warmed up. If you try to restart it, it just cranks and cranks. If you wait for it to cool down, it will start back up, like it always has in the past. I checked the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve, and it runs 30 to 32 #s, when it is running. I believe it is supposed to be 40#s min. When I removed the gauge, the residual fuel in the hose leaked out, and looked kinda yellow. Do you think I got a bad tank of gas? Is the pump going bad? Anybody run into something similar before?

Those are super common for crank sensors to go out when hot. Also possible cold soldier joint in pcm could be opening. Check and see if you can communicate with the pcm when it stalls. If you can then most likely issue is the crank sensors. If you can't then possible com or sensor shorting and shutting the pcm off.

X2..... That was about the only no start issue that I saw on them during my 25 years of working as a jeep tech.

Most of the troubles I had, with the 4.0's anyway, we're temp. sensor related. On a hot day, or with a hot engine the sensor would tell the computer it was cold, thus flooding it. I had one sensor that sent info that it was hot, when really it was cold. Then it wouldn't start for lack of fuel.

Most of the troubles I had, with the 4.0's anyway, we're temp. sensor related. On a hot day, or with a hot engine the sensor would tell the computer it was cold, thus flooding it. I had one sensor that sent info that it was hot, when really it was cold. Then it wouldn't start for lack of fuel.
For what its worth... I had the same water temp sensor fault in my 96 Camry. It started/ran perfect cold. Just as it reached normal operating temp, so long as I was in the throttle it ran. It would stumble and shut down when retuned to idle, like rolling up to a stop sign. In turning over I could tell there was fuel and fire and trying to run. That bad sensor was screwing up fuel/air mixture. Service manual and ohms meter proved it bad. 23 dollar fix.

-
Back