Jeep Liberty Rear Disc Brakes onto 8 3/4

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
I have heard and read about the urban legend of Jeep Libery disc brakes fitting on older mopars. I heard they will fit the 8 1/4 rear.
Does anyone know if this is also the case for the 8 3/4 rear?

My understanding is that there is a size difference in the axel area between the 8 1/4 and the Liberty brake setup. But other than that they pretty much bolt right up.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the compatibility with an 8 3/4 rear?

I “think” Richard Ehrenberg did a write up in the new Mopar Action on this. Maybe check online the Mopar Action back issues articles?

The bolt pattern is the same. I'm running Aspen/Volare drums on my 8 3/4. It'll fit.

I “think” Richard Ehrenberg did a write up in the new Mopar Action on this. Maybe check online the Mopar Action back issues articles?
About a year ago. If I get time I'll dig through the stack, but you can search here for a discussion on this site. IIRC, Rick installed them on an 8 3/4.

Rick's article was the first I'd heard of it but since heard of people using Cherokee brakes as well.

There's a fairly in depth thread going for the Liberty conversion here Liberty Rear Disk Brakes for A-Body

The Cherokee brakes are a different deal, those work for an 8.25" rear axle not an 8 3/4. The Liberty brakes are modified to fit an 8 3/4 in the Mopar Action articles. Yeah, they split it into two months, because of course they did to sell another copy.

I think the other thread makes my opinion on the Liberty conversion pretty well know, a lot of important details of the conversion are just glossed over in the article and the pictures leave a lot to the imagination. In the end it seems like a lot work to find the parts, have the custom machining done, make cable brackets and adaptors etc. to end up with a conversion that no one else can help you with should something go wrong.

There was an even older thread somewhere before mopar action did the article.
Probably around 8 years ago. I would have to dig very deep for it as I am unsure who did the research on it but I know it was not Richard Ehrenberg

-
Back