JeepCJ 5 rearend?

-

tbr3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a chance at a free '75 CJ rear end for my '64 Dart GT project, anyone know if it might work? I saw a guy on this site did an Explorer rear by shortening the long side, any one ever try it? Can't find a width on the CJ rears, anyone know what they are?

Thanks!

TR

There are a few of us here that have done the Explorer axle swap. It's fairly painless. Do you have pics of the Jeep axle? If they are like anything else from the 70's, Jeeps probably had different axle options, different manufactures, etc. Post pics if you can. If it's free, you could always pick it up and unload it later if needed.

75 cj rear, most likely a dana 44. But it may have been changed.

Desirable if it has solid one piece axles.

Easy to tell, a 44 has a stop sign rear cover.
The newer 30 has a round rear cover.

I would grab it and sell it to a Jeep guy.

Free Jeep rear??? Most likely broke.

44's break gears
30's snap axles

Too narrow for a stock dart.

It's probably a AMC20 and I wouldn't recommend that axle in your dart. You can tell if that's what it is by looking at where the axle shaft comes throw the brake drum, if it has a nut and a cotter pin then it's a 20. The ford axle is a 8.8 and is a good axle that has lots of aftermarket support.

Where are you located? I have a complete 8 1/4 A body rear that I would let go for cheap.

Thanks you guys, this one turned out to be a dana 30 ,basically a 7 1/4 which is what i have as stock. I am using a newer 360, so I want at least an 8 1/4.

I am in Flagstaff AZ, would love to buy yours, but shipping is probably outrageous?

Thanks all!

-
Back