Jerky, poppy steering (74 Duster, 318, 904, auto, column shift, power steering car)

-

supersoap33

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I installed a replacement steering column in my 74 duster, and before, it was pretty jerky like it would hit "pockets" of steering and then be sort of loose and have some play in it between the pockets. It's a power steering car. Now, it's a little worse than what it was. I have a Grant steering wheel and mount on there as it had before. I was just wondering if there are some things that I could check to make sure it's doing what it can etc. I'm not expecting a modern car feel, but I would like it to not feel like complete **** either!

Well, we should be able to rule out the column, if it was doing it before. What about the gear box itself? Don't these have an adjustment to take up play between the sector shaft and worm gear? Perhaps the gearbox (or the pump)is plain worn out. I'm assuming you have checked other steering and suspension components for wear, and regarding the pump - there is fluid , belt is tight, etc.

Well, we should be able to rule out the column, if it was doing it before. What about the gear box itself? Don't these have an adjustment to take up play between the sector shaft and worm gear? Perhaps the gearbox (or the pump)is plain worn out. I'm assuming you have checked other steering and suspension components for wear, and regarding the pump - there is fluid , belt is tight, etc.

No, I haven't checked any of that stuff. I have a chilton's. Best I look at it, I suppose.

Well, yes, at least look and verify you don't have any loose/worn components. I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

Ball joints, control arm bushings, about anything that turns in the front end is suspect.

Forget Chiltons. I don't really mean that but they are NOT adequate. You can download a 73 manual free at MyMopar. THAT MANUAL IS NOT CORRECT for wiring.

Get a helper and watch the column, the coupler, the shaft into the box, the pitman shaft, the ball at the pitman, in other words every single thing that moves, as your helper moves the wheel back and forth

To check lower ball joints you must jack the car up UNDER THE LOWER CONTROL arms to take the "bind" off the lower joints. Some of that is in the shop manual, as well

If you have no history on the car, and it doesn't look "anything newish" under there, I'd plan on replacing every bushing ball joint, everything that moves, except the idler if it is OK and the pitman arm if it is OK

Forget Chiltons. I don't really mean that but they are NOT adequate. You can download a 73 manual free at MyMopar. THAT MANUAL IS NOT CORRECT for wiring.

Get a helper and watch the column, the coupler, the shaft into the box, the pitman shaft, the ball at the pitman, in other words every single thing that moves, as your helper moves the wheel back and forth

To check lower ball joints you must jack the car up UNDER THE LOWER CONTROL arms to take the "bind" off the lower joints. Some of that is in the shop manual, as well

If you have no history on the car, and it doesn't look "anything newish" under there, I'd plan on replacing every bushing ball joint, everything that moves, except the idler if it is OK and the pitman arm if it is OK

I already saw the ball joints last month. They're shot. FML.

I have no idea why I even work on this thing most days. The car is also burning oil... maybe a leaking exhaust gasket or a failed valve cover gasket and it makes me sick to even drive it...

Please tell me why I'm doing this to myself.

-
Back