John Deere Blitz Black

-
I'm not a pro but I have done a lot of painting. I would thin it a lot more and shoot two more coats. That should keep you from getting dry or rough spots. I was taught that "thick is ick" and "thin is in".
I've hear some people are using 8:1... think that would do the trick?

Yep. He provided the paint and insisted it be used. Kid had a ****-ton of money in that thing (502 crate motor, 700R4, Dakota digital guages, and on and on...). Then insisted on JD implement paint.. I did what I could.. Super nice kid. Army Captain. Just wanted different. To each his own..
Kick ***!

Satin Black is Just Tough! Semi looks like crap, and flat is too much like primer... seen spray cans mentioned up top 'o thread, is that available?

I've hear some people are using 8:1... think that would do the trick?
I actually heard that also, so I tried it. For me it was way too thick. Test it on something other than the car first. The time it takes to do this is minimal compared to redoing a paint job. I really like this paint for all sorts of things. I've used it on lawn furniture and a chain link fence gate. I put hardener in mine and it was still a day or more before I felt like I could sand it.

Reduction for Blitz Black is 4 parts paint to 1 part reducer.
Thanks for chiming in.. have you shot this stuff at 4:1? I've got a bit left that I mixed 10:1 and can add some thinner for a test run.

I'll add this is my first time painting with a gun... so I have no idea what thin or thick looks like.

Wing came out great, likely because I finished it earlier in the morning before the sun hit it.
20221013_132104.jpg

The portion on top of the scoop and in front and rear that look light in this photo are the spots that came out rough.
20221013_132058.jpg

Close up shots of the rough spots. Possible it was just the thinner drying too fast in direct sun?
20221014_095018.jpg

20221014_095033.jpg

20221014_095022.jpg

Thanks for chiming in.. have you shot this stuff at 4:1? I've got a bit left that I mixed 10:1 and can add some thinner for a test run.

I'll add this is my first time painting with a gun... so I have no idea what thin or thick looks like.

Wing came out great, likely because I finished it earlier in the morning before the sun hit it.
View attachment 1715997911

The portion on top of the scoop and in front and rear that look light in this photo are the spots that came out rough.
View attachment 1715997913

Close up shots of the rough spots. Possible it was just the thinner drying too fast in direct sun?
View attachment 1715997914

View attachment 1715997915

View attachment 1715997916
yeah you don't have it thinned down enough, in the Paint business that is called Orange Peel.

So as you are stating you are spraying it at 10 parts paint to 1 part Reducer = 10% reduction

Blitz Black and Medium Gloss Black (JD) is synthetic enamel and needs to be reduced to 25%
4 parts paint to 1 part reducer.
Sprayed at around 45 psi at the gun
Recommended 70 degrees outside air temperature.

with a 10" wide spray pattern
with a production grade Binks model 7 Spray gun, siphon feed.

-----------------

Just for comparison Ditzler and Dupont's single stage Acrylic Enamel gets reduced 33%
3 parts paint to 1 part reducer.

Just so you know you are in the ball park.

At 10 to 1 that is spraying out way too thick.

yeah you don't have it thinned down enough, in the Paint business that is called Orange Peel.

So as you are stating you are spraying it at 10 parts paint to 1 part Reducer = 10% reduction

Blitz Black and Medium Gloss Black (JD) is synthetic enamel and needs to be reduced to 25%

-----------------

Just for comparison Ditzler and Dupont's single stage Acrylic Enamel gets reduced 33%

Thanks!

Says 10:1 on the can it came in... lol.

I am using 45psi at the gun with a 10" pattern 1.4 tip.

I might get closer to the hood with the next attempt too.

Quick one.. should I even bother trying to wet sand it or just knock it flat with some 320 dry and reshoot it?

I'm NOT an auto Body tech, just a Carpenter/Drywall Guy/ Painter for 33 years. I'd take it on down flat... kill the orange peel, and start over. Clean it good before you reshoot

I'm NOT an auto Body tech, just a Carpenter/Drywall Guy/ Painter for 33 years. I'd take it on down flat... kill the orange peel, and start over. Clean it good before you reshoot
It's going to have to get knocked down for sure. the question is whether wet sanding with 400~500 will do the trick or just hit it with some 220~320 in my 5" random orbital till it's flat, then block it with 400~600 and shoot it after degrease and tack cloth?

It's going to have to get knocked down for sure. the question is whether wet sanding with 400~500 will do the trick or just hit it with some 220~320 in my 5" random orbital till it's flat, then block it with 400~600 and shoot it after degrease and tack cloth?

I always go with the least aggressive first. I'd wet sand first. If it seems like you'll be sanding all day, then try it dry. If it seems like it'll take half a day, then go down in grit until it starts flattening out easily. Just not so easily that you're burning right through the other layers.

I always go with the least aggressive first. I'd wet sand first. If it seems like you'll be sanding all day, then try it dry. If it seems like it'll take half a day, then go down in grit until it starts flattening out easily. Just not so easily that you're burning right through the other layers.
That sounds like a mix of Experience and Common Sense! Lol makes sense to me! Maybe a tough coating.. I cain't wait to play with some!

I'd go with 600 finish, wet or dry, whatever you like. It should sand easily. I don't think that will buff out very well so I'd stick with 600 at least. I'd lay on two "wet thin" coats. I think you'll be happy with the results.

-----------------

Not everyone has Bink's #7 like you and me. Lol

I'd go with 600 finish, wet or dry, whatever you like. It should sand easily. I don't think that will buff out very well so I'd stick with 600 at least. I'd lay on two "wet thin" coats. I think you'll be happy with the results.
I'll wait till Sunday to start knocking it down.. hear it's kinda touchy with setup times. See what it takes to knock it down and finish with 600 and a block. I'll upgrade some of the 10:1 I have already mixed to 4:1 and see what a couple of thin wet coats yields. Thanks!

Binks? No clue... I'm using a HF $20 special:

20221012_113247.jpg

I'll wait till Sunday to start knocking it down.. hear it's kinda touchy with setup times. See what it takes to knock it down and finish with 600 and a block. I'll upgrade some of the 10:1 I have already mixed to 4:1 and see what a couple of thin wet coats yields. Thanks!

View attachment 1715998061
The Bink's #7 gun is a siphon feed gun from the 70's. One of the very best back then. The purple gun should be fine as long as you clean it well.
IMG_20220830_233210.jpg

View attachment 1715998061

Hey, at least you've got a filter and regulator! I'll betcha your second try turns out a lot better.

That sounds like a mix of Experience and Common Sense! Lol makes sense to me! Maybe a tough coating.. I cain't wait to play with some!

I just did it a few weeks ago. Had my gun too far away when clearing the engine bay and it wound up rougher than hell. Thought I'd wet sand it and apply another coat or two and call it good. Nope. Then went to dry. Went all the way down to 60 grit and that wasn't even doing it so I had to get out the power tools and start all over lol

Another note, I was using that HF gun to spray epoxy and it always came out rough no matter what I did so I switched to my Eastwood gun and it flows much smoother. Either I don't know what I'm doing or HF guns are really hit and miss depending on their quality control. You see some guys online doing beautiful jobs with them but I could never get it down.

I just did it a few weeks ago. Had my gun too far away when clearing the engine bay and it wound up rougher than hell. Thought I'd wet sand it and apply another coat or two and call it good. Nope. Then went to dry. Went all the way down to 60 grit and that wasn't even doing it so I had to get out the power tools and start all over lol

Another note, I was using that HF gun to spray epoxy and it always came out rough no matter what I did so I switched to my Eastwood gun and it flows much smoother. Either I don't know what I'm doing or HF guns are really hit and miss depending on their quality control. You see some guys online doing beautiful jobs with them but I could never get it down.
That doesn't sound like fun. Maybe the HF gun likes it thinner. A better gun never hurts though either. Lol

-
Back