Johnny Cakes---hope I can do THIS again LOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I've sorta lost my touch on duplicating my Grampa's---then Dad an Mom....making burnt black (white cornmeal) "Johnny cakes."

But last night I really outdid myself. I been "Googlin" Now these are NOTHING like Mom made, but good!!

Roughly like a ' so

Some white cornmeal

pinch of salt

powdered milk

bit of vegetable oil

bit of brown sugar

EDIT almost forgot............an egg

Add water and stir. Makes a sloppy slurry

Pour into and fry in skillet, add butter (the easterners say syrup) DAMN those were good!!!!!

Well we never had hogs so I know that didn't happen, LOL, but it certainly could have been bacon grease.

'Nother thing I need to do that that we have this new-fangled www thing is to re--do a couple of my old iron skillets that have lost their "stuff."

Could have been the story my Dad told me over the phone...
Back on Thanksgiving, he wanted "more" biscuits, the day after Thanksgiving.

So he says, I got out the Grands container. and got out a oven sheet, and did the spray stuff onto it.....Got to looking and he says
looked and thought, now how in the hell do I open this
... got out the CAN OPENER and have at it....

My step mom sitting in the next room trying to not fall over laughing at his dumb *** doing this, (Mind you as hes telling me this, I've done busted a gut laughing, myself over the phone!)

So he tells me, he got them, or whats left of them on the oven sheet, and got them in the oven. Then he tells me he looked all around the counter, and the kitchen and says to my step mom, DAMN I done it now, I got one hell of a mess, here, shes in the back ground of our phone conversation laughing her *** off and adding in little "jabs" to help him along to NOT toss his own *** under the bus, as now that I KNOW this, he will NEVER live it down! (I'm setting here typing it out to you guys, and I'm laughing my *** off) it was funny then and to think of the hell-a-cious mess he must have had in the kitchen is damn hilarious!

Well we never had hogs so I know that didn't happen, LOL, but it certainly could have been bacon grease.

'Nother thing I need to do that that we have this new-fangled www thing is to re--do a couple of my old iron skillets that have lost their "stuff."
You didn't have to have hogs. Lard was available in the grocery store in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers. May still be.
It may not be the healthiest stuff around, but believe me,for taste, the stuff cooked in it couldn't be beat.

-
Back