Jounce Stop Bumper ?

-
A pic is worth a 1000 words... Not nearly as big as I thought from your description. I never saw one with that much metal, usually just a chunk of rubber on a mount plate. Check your frame rails above rear axle where 66Dvert shows above. Sounds like you are a building a driver, so it really doesn't matter if they are correct. If they aren't there and holes line up - use it. Do you have one or a pair? Probably best to match, but otherwise there is nothing critical about these. I'd say they might never actually do anything , but with a new driver...

The bumpers 66DVERT has posted is correct but I've never seen one that has been used. I would think it would be an awful serious event to make them contact the rear.

The bumpers 66DVERT has posted is correct but I've never seen one that has been used. I would think it would be an awful serious event to make them contact the rear.

LOL, like an elephant sitting on the trunk?

LOL, like an elephant sitting on the trunk?
HEY I've almost had an elephant sitting on it..:D back when I had no money and was a LOT younger I had a 1985 1/2 ton dodge pickup. I took both roof's shingles off of my house (1st and second story due to leaks) and just old as dirt. since it would cost 50 bucks to drop off the stuff at the dump and I needed all my money for shingles I decided to load it up, I put in stakes on the bed side holes and added 1/2 ply wood to give me more height to really load it and snatch strapped it to keep from bowing out. Needless to say I overloaded the truck something fierce. It was on the bump stop about 1/3 way to full and when I got it all in the front wheels were almost off the ground I could lift it up about 4 inches. hmmmm what to do. I know I have some old broken concrete that can be loaded on the front bumper and winch area to bring the wheels back down. It worked! ummm sort of. if I took of easy enough (/6 4 on the floor) I could keep the nose down and steer it. if I was moving at anything over 15MPH I had to hit the brakes to get it to go back down and steer. let me tell ya that was the LONGEST and hardest 10 miles I have ever drove. I would never do that now. just thinking about it scares me to death. It was just stupid!

the truck's title said the weight was 3845 lbs and when I went across the scales the operator shook his head at the weight and had me get off again to check out his scales.
He re-calibrated it using a known weight on a trolley and had me come back on. the truck weight in at 12,892 LBS! so I was slightly overweight. I checked the truck over and it didn't look bent or anything but it never rode as rough as it used to, I might have sprung my springs a little. and it didn't break or bend the axles! but it dod take the rear tires almost down to the rims it looked like a 1 inch side wall and that was an E series tire! I kept that truck for years after than and still abused it(never that bad again) but the darn truck never broke on me. the cab's roof rusted away on me and I sold it to a 18 YO kid who put another cab on it and drove it for another 4 years, then I lost track of him and the truck.
I loved that truck. 23mpg and tough as nails and ugly as sin!

I've seen more than one truck drop to the stops and bulge the tires. There was a recent thread on here about adding air bags. Did them on a friends truck that had a cap with tool boxes. It was near bottomed before he put a LOT of tools and parts in. Till we added the air lift bags, the only time it came OFF the stops was when he hit a big bump.
I watched another guy getting topsoil from a job site once. One 'scoop' from a large loader and I thought the tires were gonna pop.
As for most cars, not likely to hit. Now that we are discussing it, I'll have to look at how far the leaf would need to flex for that to happen. I know an engine in the trunk can bring them down pretty good...

-
Back