jump to start..... every time!

-

naus360scamp

Reaction score
so im having a problem with my scamp. everytime i shut off the car to start it again i need to charge the battery. when i turn the key it tries to crank and runs out of power completely killing the battery. this past winter i dumped the battery in the trunk and had no problems till now. oh and my battery is not even a year old yet. when this started to happened i cleaned up the ground to make sure it was getting good contact and my alternator is 100 amp and is less then six months old. im really stumped here anyone got any ideas?:help:

so im having a problem with my scamp. everytime i shut off the car to start it again i need to charge the battery. when i turn the key it tries to crank and runs out of power completely killing the battery. this past winter i dumped the battery in the trunk and had no problems till now. oh and my battery is not even a year old yet. when this started to happened i cleaned up the ground to make sure it was getting good contact and my alternator is 100 amp and is less then six months old. im really stumped here anyone got any ideas?:help:

I'm no expert but here is my guess;
Voltage regulator?
Drop by an Advance or Auto Zone or the like and have them test you system to be sure.
Also check field connections from Alternator.
Good Luck
John.

I'm sure you'll get better help after everyone starts waking up this morning!:coffee2:

Could also be a bad battery-have it checked when you have the charging system checked.

1. Make sure the battery is charged up, AND check your running charging voltage at the battery.

If the battery can be opened, check the water level.

2 Take the battery somewhere that has a "carbon pile" battery load tester. These are a big tester with a huge resistor inside that loads the battery. If the pimply faced teenager comes out with a pocket tester, go somewhere else

Load tester:

CT500-2T.jpg

I'm no expert but here is my guess;
Voltage regulator?
Drop by an Advance or Auto Zone or the like and have them test you system to be sure.
Also check field connections from Alternator.
Good Luck
John.

I'm sure you'll get better help after everyone starts waking up this morning!:coffee2:

i just replaced the voltage regulator. and just go there and say i need my charging system checked?

Check the fuseable link that comes from the regulator and make sure the wire isnt burnt.
mine was

Just exactly what have you DONE to "figure it out?"

You didn't mention if you checked your charging voltage or made any other checks??

ive cleaned up the grounds, replaced the alternator, voltage regulator and ballast resistor, checked the fusible link, replaced the battery a year ago and check all the connections i could. oh and the volt gauge is working and says im charging fine.

In that case it's time to get the battery load checked..........

I sure wish I could get some of you guys to stop throwing parts at a problem.

In that case it's time to get the battery load checked..........

I sure wish I could get some of you guys to stop throwing parts at a problem.

the voltage regulator i wanted to change since i bought the car and the alternator i replace not only for mechanical purposes but visual also. im not just throwing parts at a problem im improving the looks and dependability of the car. thanks for ur input ill check the load on the battery :)

ok so i got the charging system checked and they said that my brand new alternator was only putting out 12 volts when it should be 13 to 14 volts and that i should get a new alternator is this true or are the just trying to sell a part?

ok so i got the charging system checked and they said that my brand new alternator was only putting out 12 volts when it should be 13 to 14 volts and that i should get a new alternator is this true or are the just trying to sell a part?

Sounds like BS to me. Who checked it and what did they use?

Did you load test the battery?

The steps should be:

Charge and load test the battery

Bypass the regulator to see if the alternator is capable of full output

If the first two check out, then check the regulator wiring, and if that is OK, replace the regulator.

Sounds like BS to me. Who checked it and what did they use?

Did you load test the battery?

The steps should be:

Charge and load test the battery

Bypass the regulator to see if the alternator is capable of full output

If the first two check out, then check the regulator wiring, and if that is OK, replace the regulator.

i went too pep boys because there the closest and they used a machine that looked pretty good it printed out read out ticket idk what it is ive never had to use one. like i said i dont have this equipment so how could i follow those steps i just let them do it all. i dont think they would like if i try to take over and use there equipment.

When I went to autozone they said the same thing about my alt. in my car. only mine is a 60amp. They told me the same story. I replaced mine and my problem was still there. Youd be better off testing everything yourself. they tried to diagnose just about everything as a problem on my car.

When I went to autozone they said the same thing about my alt. in my car. only mine is a 60amp. They told me the same story. I replaced mine and my problem was still there. Youd be better off testing everything yourself. they tried to diagnose just about everything as a problem on my car.

yeah thats what i figured im gonna have it checked out by a friend that has a dart and knows what hes doing

yeah thats what i figured im gonna have it checked out by a friend that has a dart and knows what hes doing

Only thing you need to buy, and you should have one anyhow, is a decent multimeter, available at any parts store for 15-25 bucks

Only tester you won't have is a legitimate battery load tester. Any GOOD parts store, do you have a battery supplier in town, like Interstate or Western?

Only thing you need to buy, and you should have one anyhow, is a decent multimeter, available at any parts store for 15-25 bucks

Only tester you won't have is a legitimate battery load tester. Any GOOD parts store, do you have a battery supplier in town, like Interstate or Western?

no i dont think so ill have to look it up

-
Back