jumping speedo

-

carmanfast68

Reaction score
when i drive the speedo jumps around i think it a 727 trains built by tci it has a 29 tooth gear in it that looks good how do i test the cable to see if it's good any help would be great.

does this only happen while you are doing burn outs? (lol)

a better description of jumping around would help and prevent you from getting stupid answers like ^

Lube your speedo cable from the speedo head end.

when i drive the speedo jumps around i think it a 727 trains built by tci it has a 29 tooth gear in it that looks good how do i test the cable to see if it's good any help would be great.

Last time it was my speedo cable. Finally it broke, you might only have a few good wires left in the cable and its twisting or like the other guy said lube the cable because it's binding in its sleeve.

When it jumps, the cable is winding up and releasing in the sheath. There is no mechanical relationship between the cable and the needle itself. You can pull out and lube the cable, or just get a new universal one, tape, cut and stake properly and itll be good as new.

I have had mine bounce around when the cable was not securely attached to the speedo. Lube the cable and reinstall making sure it is threaded on tight.

Back when I had my 300zx, this was a common problem that was caused by transmission fluid getting past the seal and into the cable. Not sure that can be the cause with TFs though.

Graphite.
Best solution, plus I used WD40 to help it travel down the sheath. Same graphite as is used in door locks. Hardest part is getting the instrument panel out far enough to pull the cable. Rest is easy. That's what I did with my old 71 Swinger. Speedo bounced and made a low noise. Did that and no more problems.

-
Back