Junk yard tach.

-

rustyswinger

Reaction score
Hey FABO. My car doesn' have a tach , and I don' have a gauge. I salvaged a junkyard tach out of an old Toyota

made a duct tape box and rigged up some test leads. what do you think?

accurate enough to tune my car up with. Or a poorly made piece of Junk?

I'm a big boy, critics please. Fire away.

Hey FABO. My car doesn' have a tach , and I don' have a gauge. I salvaged a junkyard tach out of an old Toyota

made a duct tape box and rigged up some test leads. what do you think?

accurate enough to tune my car up with. Or a poorly made piece of Junk?

I'm a big boy, critics please. Fire away.

20180303_163112.jpg

V8 toyota?

i guess
shoot, i dont know

i paid 25 bucks for my last sunpro tach at autozone
just saying

V8 toyota?

i guess
shoot, i dont know

i paid 25 bucks for my last sunpro tach at autozone
just saying

Hmm. I think it was a Toyota. it was a crazy 4x4 safari jeep looking thing. not a rover. not even close. I never saw anything like it, I think it was mid 80s vintage. it had lots of bells and whistles on the dash. I scooped the tach.

It seems to be in the ball park RPM wise

well, the reason i ask is because all aftermarket tachs have a 4-6-8 setting
which tells me that if you take a stocker from a 4 banger id imagine it would not read right on a 6 banger

well, the reason i ask is because all aftermarket tachs have a 4-6-8 setting
which tells me that if you take a stocker from a 4 banger id imagine it would not read right on a 6 banger
I gotcha. it's been some time since I built it can' recall if there were wiring options. It seems to read close to what it should. if it was specific to a 4 or 6 cyl I would guess it would be way out

What is the hot lead connected to, coil or #1 plug wire?

I don't see a tachometer.

Well that's kinda cool! My only worry is whether it will work with a V8 as suggested. Nice ingenuity, though.

I guess it may turn into a simple math equation if it doesn't
If it was for a 4 banger, it will read half of what the rpm is (assuming your running a V8)
If it can off of a six, divide by two and times three ?

Thanks! Had fun teaching the kids to solder and make a circuit. The box does a nice job keeping it neat and undamaged.

Cars at the paint shop, but I set my idle speed to about 700 rpm with it. if it's accurate

I guess it may turn into a simple math equation if it doesn't
If it was for a 4 banger, it will read half of what the rpm is (assuming your running a V8)
If it can off of a six, divide by two and times three ?

I'm pretty sure it's set up correctly, I just don'
know how much precision I'm dealing with here

I got a tiny tach I hang under the hood when Im tuning. a vacuum gauge is better though. I thought you made a lunch box!

I got a tiny tach I hang under the hood when Im tuning. a vacuum gauge is better though. I thought you made a lunch box!
I have a vacuum gauge too. I couldn't resist cooking this up though. The kids had a blast.

should get the swinger home from the body shop in 2 days! then I can start tuning her up for spring:)

Many years ago we had Sun tachs, not the round ones you put in your car but the kind that would be on a Sun distributor tester, that were mounted in a metal box that we would use in test cars.

-
Back