junkyard 440 approx price?

-
340's are a lot harder to come by, they ran 440's until I believe 77' so there is a pretty good supply of them out there

For the record- lots of race engine builder "season" their blocks by letting them sit in the elements.
Granted they are totally bare with all parts removed.

For the record- lots of race engine builder "season" their blocks by letting them sit in the elements.
Granted they are totally bare with all parts removed.

Off topic, but what's the idea behind "seasoning" a block?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Lol I like to season all my engines pulled out my 2012 cummins and stripped her down let her sit for year in the mud. The rust should really seat them rings now

The mold that grows on them makes them go faster. Kind of like stripes, huge spoilers, and exhausts with tips the size of a foldgers can. Dont'cha know.

CL around here prices them in the 600-800 range for a top to bottom deal. In some cases, it's even a verified runner. Dude's on the pipe, he can keep it.

Off topic, but what's the idea behind "seasoning" a block?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Darn I need whatever that guy is on just to ask that price. I had 15-18 440's out of C bodies with transmissions and sold all of them running and they could hear them run for 250-275 each and in some cases I though that mite be a little high because some of them had over 100000 miles on them and I pulled every single one for the person all they needed was help unloading it. Some people will just try a F**K YOU for no good reason but look at it this way if you have something he needs and can't find it anywhere else you may not want to sell it to him just on principal

Anybody have any idea what a 440 is going for now days. I'm talking about the kind you find sitting in middle of a field not in a car or covered by any means. Went and talked to a mopar hoarder today and he says he would want a grand cash for a 440 without even knowing if I can bar the engine over or not. Pretty much the guy wants a grand cash in hand before letting in the field to check his pile of big blocks over. What would be a fair price now days?

A junk yard near me had a mound of mixed make V8's that was probably 8' feet tall (seriously) and you could get any engine in the pile for $100 each. Nearly broke my leg rolling a couple of 440's off of the top so I could get a good look at them. This was a few years ago but still ... a grand for a scrap pile engine? Man how things have changed. Everbody thinks they have a gold mine now ...

Perfect example here:

"Very rare & Hard to find 440-mag Engine with a steel crank, out of an 1969 camper bus.
It still has the heads, valve covers,water pump, carb, exhaust pipe that I cut at the back of the block,
oil pan still on it, the freeze plugs are still in it!!
It was in a fire. but the engine block is good. this block is worth about $800 dollars!
so make me an offer, these blocks with the steel crank are VERY,VERY! RARE
I live 5 miles s/w of richmond mo. I could bring it to you, if you are not to far away

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/4469955722.html

Here is a website I have used for many years to find parts. For a Mopar 440 engine may have to look under Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth separately. You can pick how far from you location you want to look, along with complete engine or block only. Best of luck.
http://car-part.com/

Only if someone wanted one for a numbers matching car I would suppose, wouldn't matter to me, because you build it the way you want anyway.

Exactly, makes no difference for a guy that is going to build it.

As far as seasoning goes, I understand you wanta bock that has undergone many heat cycles. The whole rust thing always excaped me..

440 motorhome engines are all I can find.cant find one less than $500 most are $1000 here in visalia ca.im looking fir one cheap to.

440 engine values vary. 66-71completes I can easily get 500-750 for, if they turn over and not stamped HP.If they are, the value is based on the Buyers needs, and how close that engine is in production to the car they own. 67' HP engines are worth the most. First year,closed chambered 915's, no VIN# on the block, etc. I had to pay 1,200 for a 67' HP complete, but I could sell it for more than that any time I wish. Cast crank engines are worth the least, 100-300. There are exceptions, I sold one 1974 HP for $1,000, because it was an original forged crank stick engine, and I know it came from a 74' charger, of which 208 were made. The guy had a 74' GTX, one of 73 or so, and the engine was weeks in production behind his Plymouth. To that guy, that engine was everything. I wish I had one more, the block and heads have a better cooling design than the older engines.:coffee2:

Around here, for complete running 440s, they go for $400 to $500 if it has the 727 trans. They would probably need a rebuild (i wouldn't trust them) and that's if they were pulled and stored inside right away. That includes all accessories such as pulleys, mounts, distributor, etc. carb to pan. That's for a forged crank one of any year. Cast crank ones are about $100 less. A good bare block would go for $200. You can get a set of stock cast iron heads for $50 for cores (or less).
400s and 383s go for another $100 less per engine.
H.P. engines you can add another $100 on all counts.
That's here, they are plentiful if you know where to look. Same as small blocks and slant sixes.
Actually, the slant sixes are harder to find, go figure........

I paid 200 for my 440, fresh from a machine shop......I would tell him to stuff it where the sun don't shine and walk away. hunt craigslist, that's where I found mine.

Perfect example here:

"Very rare & Hard to find 440-mag Engine with a steel crank, out of an 1969 camper bus.
It still has the heads, valve covers,water pump, carb, exhaust pipe that I cut at the back of the block,
oil pan still on it, the freeze plugs are still in it!!
It was in a fire. but the engine block is good. this block is worth about $800 dollars!
so make me an offer, these blocks with the steel crank are VERY,VERY! RARE
I live 5 miles s/w of richmond mo. I could bring it to you, if you are not to far away

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/4469955722.html

there's a fool born every minute they say.:violent1:

One 440/512 lives in the car now. Two complete 440's for cores and or later projects sit in my garage with 4 727 transmissions. Don't really know why I have all this but I got them all at a good price. The most expensive engine I bought was $275.00 and that was for a steel crank engine. The guy threw in 2 transmission to sweeten the deal. Didn't use much of the stock engine anyways. I used the block and some nuts and bolts on my build. Aluminum main caps with a stroker kit. Aluminum heads, water pump housing and intake. I ended up giving away a set of 906 heads and 2 cast iron 4-barrel intakes. If you're not in a hurry, they come up at a good price every other day.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 182
$200 - $300 is fair. I just bought a complete 400 for $200 and brother Dave
(Weeb) just bought a 440 today for a like price. Of course as time goes by
they really will get scarce and the price will rise. If or when they are all gone
you'll have to go with aftermarket blocks but I'll be too old to drive by then!

I sell a lot of them. Whole complete cast crank motors that ran recently $500-$600.

Earlier 66-72 steel crank motors possibly a little more with the good heads.

I have a 71 Imp motor with AVS carb,elect dist, 187 pan, automatic trans, complete to the point that I think I can make it run on the shop floor. That will bring 1k-1200 or I'll part it.

I have a speed shop that gives me $250 for usable 440 core blocks (bare) any year.

Hope this helps!

Well as far as I'm concerned I hit the jack pot in this area. I'm getting a running 68 440 out of a New Yorker and a 71 out of an imperial plus trans for both and a c body rear end for narrowing. All for 500 bucks.

You may just want to look for a junk car complete with a 440. It may cost a bit more but you can sell part or scrap the car for money. I.e. 440 new yorker for 1,000. Now you have a engine and trans and 500 comming back to you in scrap.

-
Back