junkyard 440 approx price?

-

mechanic190

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea what a 440 is going for now days. I'm talking about the kind you find sitting in middle of a field not in a car or covered by any means. Went and talked to a mopar hoarder today and he says he would want a grand cash for a 440 without even knowing if I can bar the engine over or not. Pretty much the guy wants a grand cash in hand before letting in the field to check his pile of big blocks over. What would be a fair price now days?

id guess "fair" would be 300 maybe but most likely expect most people to ask 500 to 1k. i got mine with an edelbrock str-14 on it for 800 so i think a grand is a little ridiculous

Anybody have any idea what a 440 is going for now days. I'm talking about the kind you find sitting in middle of a field not in a car or covered by any means. Went and talked to a mopar hoarder today and he says he would want a grand cash for a 440 without even knowing if I can bar the engine over or not. Pretty much the guy wants a grand cash in hand before letting in the field to check his pile of big blocks over. What would be a fair price now days?

Sounds like if you don't have a grand you better look elsewhere.It just depends on the year and everything included.Im not a big fan of 440's and I have seen them go for 250 to a thousand depending on what they are

Keep looking. I doubt Mr. Hoarder has anything in his pile worth $1K. I bought a complete pair of cores recently for $300 and got a 727 thrown in for free. A couple of years ago I bought a core shortblock for $250. So, it varies but there's some risk involved. There's some factory stampings on the engine ID pad I'd watch for and avoid if you had several to choose from.

Holy crap thats a bit much for an engine you can't even verify it's condition...did you ask him to pass the pipe?

Never know what he has...go there with 1k, just expect to take it back home with you. For a nice unmolested steel crank 440 I'd pay $500-600, no more.

The guy I'm getting my 273 from has 440s laying about. There are 3 sitting on the asphalt just outside his garage. I looked at them and he said "they're good. Been sitting there for 15 years". He was right - they are sunk into the driveway and nothing on them seems usable... And from me that's saying a lot. If it's in a field and not "in something" it's more than likely junk. Go find an actual car enthusiast who gives a **** about his stuff, rather than giving a **** about you knowing what he has and what it's "worth".

The guy I'm getting my 273 from has 440s laying about. There are 3 sitting on the asphalt just outside his garage. I looked at them and he said "they're good. Been sitting there for 15 years". He was right - they are sunk into the driveway and nothing on them seems usable... And from me that's saying a lot. If it's in a field and not "in something" it's more than likely junk. Go find an actual car enthusiast who gives a **** about his stuff, rather than giving a **** about you knowing what he has and what it's "worth".

This^^^^^^

There are many people sitting on mountains of stuff they think is priceless and most of it is total junk. I know one myself.

I paid $800 for a running, driving '69 440 with perf intake, headers, and sounds like a cam, in a stepside 1980 D150 with an 833 O/D.

There's a '67 440 on local CL started at $800 now down to $600 after two months.

Usually there's a 440 powered 70's Winnebago listed for $1000 or less, but those are actually worth LESS than the 440 due to the labor and disposal issues.

Do you know how many 440s were made since 1967? Shame on you for having any communication with this moron after his first sentence. LOL! Craigslist is filled with people who saw Barrett Jackson sell a Cuda or 2 with a 440 so they must be rare. Right. As was mentioned a few posts up, pass the pipe!

around here on craigslist i see complete "stock" 440's going for 3-400 bucks, around 5-600 there is complete motors with transmissions

200-350 Max, i no a place where they have 426 Hemi blocks chained to poles outside there shops, no heads, cranks on or in them just bare blocks out getting seasoned as they'd call they put them out there for a year or 3 or whatever and then build race hemi's out of them, pretty darn crazy if you ask me!!!!!

A grand is too much for something that might not even be a usable core. Within the last few years I have seen complete 440s carb to pan including a 727 that were DEFINATELY usable cores going for (actual sale price) $600. Granted, they are late model RV engines
(8.2:1 compression) but if you plan on swapping out the guts anyway, who cares?

Bought 2 of them running last year, one was in a camper, the other a new yorker, $400-500 is prolly about going price for a running one, unless you find an hp 440 then the price would go up.

That's what I thought they should go for I was just so awestruck and pissed that a guy would keep so much and not have plans to sell or build. I went to an estate sale last weekend and when I got there the same guy bought a line of a dozen or more mopar engine and more than that of 727s for pennies on the dollar and I had to leave empty handed while these engines are gonna go sit in a pile in his yard to rust up and be good for nobody. Thanks for the replies I am continuing my search

I got one with a performer intake, milodon pan, MSD mini-starter, and alt/PS pump and all the brackets for 300$. most of them here in CL go for 3-500.... some with a tranny for that. (most are out of motor homes)

No need to be pissed,that's just the breaks of the game.

-
Back