Junkyard Electronic Ignition

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm pulling a Super Six out of a 79 Volare in a junk yard. It was suggested that i also pull the distributor if I want to put electronic ignition on my /6.
Question: will I need to pull everything including the housing and bearing which the vacuum control attaches to or just the cap, guts and shaft. Also, should I be pulling any other components for the ignition?

Thanks

take the adjustment bolt out and take the whole distributor, its not easy or practical to put the electronic ignition guts in a points distributor

while your there grab the ballast resisitor and ECU (ignition box)

The adjustment bolt is at the very bottom of the unit?

correct, goes into engine block, believe the head is 1/2" wrench size (5/16" bolt)

when you remove the distributor be sure not to cut the plug as the distributor is a semi sensative thing and the wires do have a direction (it won't run wired backwards)

Just got back from the junk yard and managed to pull the distributor and electronics. He charged me $50, I think it was a good transaction.

Thanks for your help!

Just got back from the junk yard and managed to pull the distributor and electronics. He charged me $50, I think it was a good transaction.

Thanks for your help!

sounds good if you got the ECU ballast and distributor

Before wiring it up, you might look at the HEI ignition conversion. A bit easier to wire, lets you lose the ballast, and run a hotter coil. You can sell the Mopar ignition box to someone already wired for it, ~$10 or more if a "better box" (people argue about that definition).

-
Back