Junkyard Finds for my early A's

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
PickNPull had members half off, so I took my long list for our 7 cars. The donors as I recall and the haul:

95 Ram Van w/ LA engine (tuner's van):
Vans are great. You sit in the cabin w/ easy access to the engine.
Mopar electronic distributor (almost new), MSD wires, gold box.
Someone grabbed the carb, I should have taken the Edelbrock Performer intake.
Paydirt was a 4-barrel throttle bracket and kickdown lever, plus a compressor mount that fits my Sanden compressor (aftermarket $150). Also grabbed 3 groove water pump pulley in case (seen that?).

89 Dodge motor-home w/ LA engine:
Motor-homes stick with old designs longer, great for us. Dash wiring was similar to my early A's. Same turn signal switch, after I take off the hazard switch (or use?), w/ same connector ($95 after-market). Unlike most fools, I didn't snip the wires. Same ignition connector missing on my 64 Valiant that was driving me nuts. 2 speed wiper switch, but might work. Firewall connector looks like 3-connector type of late 70's Darts. Steering wheel looks compatible and no cracks (>$100 used). Removed it without a puller by pulling on wheel while beating shaft with socket wrench, plus WD-40. Good part about PickNPull, you can beat and cut all you want, though I feel bad abusing the donors.

94 Grand Cherokee w/ Magnum engine:
Distributor - Unique ignition has crank sensor for spark timing, distributor has just a cam sensor. Single coil (off crank and cam signals?). Mix of old and new. Not sure why they didn't use coil packs. Plan to use as cam sensor w/ LS1 coils.
Injector rail - for the Magnum intake I got off ebay w/ broken nipple. Had to hacksaw the tubing (forgot release tool and tubing cutter). Returnless type (no reg.).

GM trucks, V-8 SB, 95 and 88:
HEI 8-pin ignitor, external coil, knock sensor & module. This is the easiest spark system to use with the Holley Commander 950. You find on 85-95 GM trucks w/ TBI. Get the connector to the distributor pickup instead of cobbling spade terminals as Slant Six guys suggest in a FABO post. The 8-pin is better than the 4-pin HEI many FABO guys use, since sealed connectors. It replaces the Mopar box and ballast resistor. The GM coil is direct cable hookup w/ tach ouput, plus can buy pretty MSD ones. The 8-pin allows spark advance from an engine controller (not required). The knock sensor installs in the block drain hole and the ESC module converts to 5V yes/no signal. You can light an LED or let the controller react (Commander 950 does). Some people deciphered that GM used the same knock parts on some V-6 & V-8, so should work fine on a Mopar V-8.

98 Voyager 2.4L:
Air box and battery tray for my 96 Voyager damaged in accident 10 yrs ago and redneck-repaired. Been waiting for this minivan series to start showing up in budget junkyards.

Was looking for a slant six electronic distributor, but saw no slants. Sorry, not buying yours w/ $10+ shipping. I'll find one on another trip for $5.

Cost?
I was too honest. The clueless counter kid said "what you got, an air box and distributor?". Could have just said "yep", but put everything on the counter one by one and he looked in the computer, came up with $360 --> $180 w/ discount. My jaw dropped. Nothing was a lot ($0.50 per spark wire), but it adds up. Anyway, not too bad divided by all the family cars.

Very nice. I went to half price day (general public) and was SHUT OUT w/ no parking! so I went down the block to the other one and found 1 pre magnum 318 in a van but the heads weren't 302's so I walked out pissed. I grabbed a Street Dominator off a van last 1/2 sale, sweet! Didnt have the right tools to get a set of stainless headers off a Dakota, would have made a decent flip, too wide for a Narrow A and steering column interference.
My yards nickel and dime you to death. The intake I grabbed, they wanted to charge me for the nipples and the vacuum T fitting. Took them off right at the counter...

Cool, did the 94 Grand Cherokee have rear disk brakes?
Sorry, I didn't look at the rear. Likely it did since it appeared upscale w/ 5.9L engine (I think). I saw several Grand Cherokee's in my quick browsing yesterday, and have seen some most times before as well, a few after Cash for Clunkers. Most cars seem to stay just a few months, so a lot of turnover. There are ~5 PickNPull's here. This visit was to Sunrise.

In the future I will hit the Vans first. After spending 30 min undoing the distributor bolt in the Cherokee, without the crow's foot needed, it was amazing to sit in the RAM van's seat with the whole engine easily accessible.

Neatest thing I saw on my last visit ~Spring 2011 was a 50's Coronet with a modern engine in it sitting in the picking yard. Looked like a Magnum SB on quick glance, w/ unused transfer case, probably from a Jeep. Somebody spent a lot of time on that. Tempted to buy the whole vehicle to save from the crusher, but enough projects already.

-
Back