Junkyard Voyages

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
So, I decided to take a trip out to a junkyard nearby with my sidekick (Remington). They always have an okay selection of A bodies but can be a major pain to deal with. I took a bunch of pictures (that hopefully show up). If you guys see anything you are interested in, let me know.

Rich

DSCN5184.jpg

DSCN5192.jpg

DSCN5193.jpg

DSCN5194.jpg

DSCN5195.jpg

DSCN5196.jpg

DSCN5197.jpg

DSCN5198.jpg

DSCN5201.jpg

DSCN5202.jpg

Man, that sucks- I don't care if they are "junk", stacking classic cars is wrong wrong wrong.

(Not to mention, it makes it a major PITA for us pickers)

Man, that sucks- I don't care if they are "junk", stacking classic cars is wrong wrong wrong.

Yeah, I've gotten in more than one heated discussion with the morons that run the place. They had a 340 auto 71 Duster shell (no engine or trans but did have fender tag and vin # on the dash) that I tried buying from them. They said no, it was set to go to the crusher. I told them I'd pay them double what they'd get from the crusher but they still refused....:bootysha:

X10!!

What a bunch of monkeys! If they got so many to stack, why don't they sell whole cars? No titles? Hot?

Who ever stacks Mopars should be chained and dragged behind one!!!:snakeman:

Thanks for the pics, it just makes me sad.

X10!!

What a bunch of monkeys! If they got so many to stack, why don't they sell whole cars? No titles? Hot?

Who ever stacks Mopars should be chained and dragged behind one!!!:snakeman:

LOL....I agree!!!

I dropped over $500 one day with them on several smaller items....they treated me like I was inconveniencing them!!

The whole junkyard is for sale...I would love to buy it....unfortunately, I'm currently am a broke college student...Damn :wack:

I never had good dealings with a "junkie" They would rather junk a car than
sellit for 2x.

Looks like most of those cars got more damage in that yard then they did during the 30 or 40+ years of daily use. I hate when junkyards stack cars like that.

Okay. I'm planning on going Saturday morning so if you see something you are interested in, let me know and I'll check it out for you then.

Rich:cheers:

Looks like most of those cars got more damage in that yard then they did during the 30 or 40+ years of daily use. I hate when junkyards stack cars like that.

I have found that to be the case over and over at my local yard as well- they use a giant forkloader, and are not too delicate with it, either. Since the big scrapmetal boom, they don't generally have to stack 'em, but it used to be quite common, and thwarted my parts-hunting many times.

How would you pull parts from this '68 Plymouth wagon, for instance?
68furywagon.jpg

Judging by what I can see from a photo, you should buy that '65 Coronet LH fender.....it looks mint! Bet you could get $500 from someone who needs one. It would be a shame to see that puppy crushed.

I'll have to take a closer look at the fender, it did look really good if I remember correctly.

And as far as stacking the cars, these guys aren't the brightest bulbs out there. They don't seem really concerned about selling parts off the cars before they are scrapped. :angry7:

gahhhhh ! I hate to see this kind of stuff. I mean perfectly good cars and parts waiting for new life. Wish there were more places like this near me.
Thanks for the pics.
Oh... be real careful around stacked cars. I came about 1/2 a second from getting crushed by one as it slid over my head to the ground. There aint no part worth that.

-RPM

There's junkyards, and there's salvage yards. This is definitely the former.

Does bring back memories of hitting the yards when our cars were plentiful tho. I remember sitting in a 68 or 69 Dart in the back of a yard that was on the top of a double stack with a gas powered 14" cutoff wheel cutting out the floorpan to salvage the console brackets.

An errant spark set a small piece of carpet underpadding behind me on fire. I ripped it out and threw it out the car onto what I thought was a safe place. It was actually the location of a small oil fill. Couple of minutes later I was startled to see this huge smudge fire sending up clouds of black smoke. Even better, as I hop off the car, the owners of the yard are pulling up in their truck with fire extinguishers.

Ah yes, the good old days!

Grant

Thanks for all the interest in parts!

Let me know if any of you have any other parts you want me to check out tomorrow morning!

Rich

There use to be a yard just south of downtown that had linited land available. That meant stacking the cars 4 or 5 high and close enough that they were almost touching each other. I still have nightmares over the 68 383 fastback on the botom of the pile. I really wanted at lest the hood call outs but there was no way I was risking my life to climb under the stack for them,eve if I could have gotten the hood up enough to get them off.

-
Back