just a few questions about wiring

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
OK, so what are you guys doing with the things you don't need or want, just cut the wire at the connector?
What about things like the Evaporative Emission Solenoid Control, Fuel Pump Module, Leak Detection Pump, Auto Shutdown Relay, and Battery temp Sensor?
Do I have to run my charging system through this PCM or can it stay a part of the original wiring?
You guys are the best. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

What are you working on? None of this ever came on a Mopar A body

I just did an 01 5.2 ram swap in a 72 dart. I used the ram fuse/relay box so I could keep it independent of the dart. removed unwanted stuff like leak detection, lights and other ram related wiring. the alt. charges through the pcm box and computer as the truck did. tied the starter relay into the darts original starter system so I could keep it simple. used my 904 tranny, so didn't need computer input there. you really need to keep all the sensors and relays including the asd and fuel wiring in case of emergency shut off. it also depends on year. 92-95 was obd1 and 96- 2002 was obd2. two different systems. took me about a year of studying on this before I finally did it, but was the best upgrade I've done to it. also have to upgrade your fuel system to efi. dave.

Thanks Dave. I'm putting a 5.9L Mag into a 65 Dart GT Convert. I found this 5.9 with only 40K from a 2002 Dakota RT. I have the complete harness from under hood but nothing from the firewall back. There appears to only be one O2 sensor for the exhaust. Must have been single exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_1260 (Custom).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 267
there should be at least two o2s, one before cat and one after. the rear one just monitors the function of the cat, so even though it will throw a code, it doesn't effect the engine. your really need to get a pcm from a wrecking yard around the same year as your life will be a lot easier. lol. the swap is very simple to make run, and if I can help just holler. dave.

I have the PCM from the truck that the engine came from. I called Solo Electronics to try to buy a PCM from a truck with a manual transmission. I told the tech that I was putting the 5.9 into a 1965 Dart and using my 904 transmission. He told me that if I wasn't using the instrument cluster from the donor vehicle, that I would never know the difference. If I did use the cluster, I would get a bunch of codes. He says the engine will still run fine. I guess we shall see.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1258 (Custom).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 267
the pcm I'm talking about is the fuse/relay box usually on the drivers side inner fender. the computer is called an ecm. and yes, if you just stay with your 904 you wont have any trouble by having no tranny input. I just cut all my tranny wiring from the harness and it runs fine. you will however have to save the black with white tracer wire and tie it into your neutral switch on the tranny. the ecm needs to see that it's in park or neutral before it will fire. also, some say the alt. wont charge without the batt. sensor. I don't know that for sure, but i just drilled a 1'' hole in the bottom of the batt. tray and dropped the sensor in. she reads 13.8 at idle and 14.1 at 2500 rpm. one more thing to consider. if your using the 65 904, you will have to address the crank register as it has a different size hole than the 65 engine. later, dave.

Can I just buy a neutral balanced converter to fit the mag engine? Will it fit the 904?
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_1261 (Custom).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 266
Sorry, I was referring to the ECM. I also have the PCM also. This thing has more wires than I know what to do with!!

Attachments

• IMG_1251 (Custom).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 256
cant tell ya about the balance. my 5.2 is neutral balance so I didn't need any weights. I do know that the mag flex plate will fit the 904, you just have to hog out one converter bolt hole a little. and i might have told you wrong on the pcm, i think it's actually called a pdc. ( power distribution center). later, dave.

So Dave, what do i need to find a torque converter from? What year models had the same size crank register as the 5.9?
I did find the other O2 sensor wire. the sensor was missing from that one. Still going over this wiring harness again and again. I haven't cut the first wire yet. I want to do it right the first time. I hate splicing wires where it isn't necessary. I want this to be neat and clean when it's done.
Tom

Tom, I "unpinned" the connectors when I did my harness. Meaning that I pulled the wire, pin and all from the plugs. I used a tiny screw driver with the end filed down with a dremel tool to depress the tang inside the plug to remove the wires with the pin attached.
I too had only the firewall up harness ( cut right off at the firewall ).
The main thing about the harness is deciding what to keep.

I kept the Power Distribution Center under the hood so that it continues to supply power and ground for all of the sensors and such. At that point it's as simple as grounding the ground block part of the PDC, connecting the battery to the main lug and jumping in the switched power from the stock ign switch and it'll light.

I even used one of the spare relay slots for the headlights.
You'll be surprised how much of the magnum harness can be removed once you get familiar with the diagrams.

I recommend keeping the wires for the ODBII connector and run it into the car ( even if you have to pull the in car connector from a junk yard) , that way you can check codes or add a pcm tuner in the future... I mistakenly removed the wires for mine...grrr

Thanks Player1up, I haven't cut anything as of yet. I think I have it figured out and hope to start this weekend. I'm going to keep the PDC as well. My buddy found me the OBDII connector at pull a parts today. Also got me a battery temp sensor. Looks like most of the wires going through the firewall will not be needed.
I'll let you know how it turns out,
Tom

hey tom, in regards to the tranny, I think starting in 68 they had a larger hole in the crank register for the newer convertors. I've heard of a bushing you can get that lets you use your older tranny with the later engine, but have no info on it. I do know the later convertors wont fit the 67 down trannys. you might get one made for it, but again I have no input. you talk about wires, I bet I took enough scrap copper out of mine to almost fund this project. lol. if you want a clean look, your going to have to shorten a lot of wires cause it's hard to shove a 7' harness in a 4' hole. lol. dave. by the way, where's crystal springs located?

hey tom, in regards to the tranny, I think starting in 68 they had a larger hole in the crank register for the newer convertors. I've heard of a bushing you can get that lets you use your older tranny with the later engine, but have no info on it. I do know the later convertors wont fit the 67 down trannys. you might get one made for it, but again I have no input. you talk about wires, I bet I took enough scrap copper out of mine to almost fund this project. lol. if you want a clean look, your going to have to shorten a lot of wires cause it's hard to shove a 7' harness in a 4' hole. lol. dave. by the way, where's crystal springs located?

easyrider, fantastic lookin dart!--bob

Thanks aaadave, this thing is a labor of love, or hate. Depends on which day you ask how i like it.

Crystal Springs is 20 miles south of Jackson, MS.

I have cut a pile of wire from this thing. I was thinking today, if it doesn't run when I'm done, I'm just going to put an intake and carb on it until after "Cruzin the Coast" I'll worry with this over the winter.

Tom

have faith my friend, it'll run. will be in Gulfport all week of the cruise and will look you up. I plan on being at mopars at the marina that Thursday, maybe see ya there. i'll shoot ya a pm with my # in case you have any trouble. dave.

Dave, I see you're from Moss Point. I have family there. I went to school at East Central between Wade and Hurley. Small world.
Did you go to Mopars at the Battleship in April? My car was in the top 40 there. Tom

-
Back