JUST A GENERAL PAINT MATCHING QUESTION

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
I try do a lot of small paint touchups with a rattle can. I just cleaned up the peeling and little rust spots and repainted my door jams today.

With all my "modern" MOPARS, I have used "Automotivetouchup.com" with great results.
When I used their color finder on my 67 Barracuda. the DD1 was noted as a "metallic". So, I was hesitant to order that. (They only do standard color mixes)

I found another classic car paint supplier at "TouchupDirect.com", that listed the DD1 as a "Ploy" paint.
(me hoping that it was less metallic)
I doubt that my 67 paint is original, although in places like the door jams I'm sure it was. (Yuck!)
The existing Light Blue body paint seems to have very little metallic; and has probably darkened a little from age and sunlight over the years.

I contacted TouchupDirect about it, and they want me to use their test card and take a comparison photo.
So, that has me hopeful that they can make some adjustment to the formula; while "Automnotivetouchup.com" refuses to do that.

What sources and luck have ya'll Cuda folks had in matching aged paint??

Check with the bigger body shops in your area to see if they have a supplier that does paint matching.

My shop has a camera that takes three pictures of the paint and adjust the color match on the paint computer. It's spies Hecker paint. Not always a perfect match but gets you in the ball park. Most of the other body shops in my area have a similar device.

My shop has a camera that takes three pictures of the paint and adjust the color match on the paint computer. It's spies Hecker paint. Not always a perfect match but gets you in the ball park. Most of the other body shops in my area have a similar device.
My only problem with going that route is.....then they send you to a auto paint supplier, where the minimum is a gallon at around $250.
And, then I have to use my airbrush.

O'reillys has a spectrum gun and color matched the paint on my Duster. I bought a pint for around $30 and touched up several spots that had been bugging me. I do touch up for a living and it was as close as the factory coded paint that we use on modern cars.

O'reillys has a spectrum gun and color matched the paint on my Duster. I bought a pint for around $30 and touched up several spots that had been bugging me. I do touch up for a living and it was as close as the factory coded paint that we use on modern cars.
Thanks for the reminder about O'Reillys!
I had forgotten all about that.
Might give them a try.
Today I'll paint the test card and send TouchupDirect a photo.
That way, I'll have several sources to compare.
Thanks again for the reminder.

I try do a lot of small paint touchups with a rattle can. I just cleaned up the peeling and little rust spots and repainted my door jams today.

With all my "modern" MOPARS, I have used "Automotivetouchup.com" with great results.
When I used their color finder on my 67 Barracuda. the DD1 was noted as a "metallic". So, I was hesitant to order that. (They only do standard color mixes)

I found another classic car paint supplier at "TouchupDirect.com", that listed the DD1 as a "Ploy" paint.
(me hoping that it was less metallic)
I doubt that my 67 paint is original, although in places like the door jams I'm sure it was. (Yuck!)
The existing Light Blue body paint seems to have very little metallic; and has probably darkened a little from age and sunlight over the years.

I contacted TouchupDirect about it, and they want me to use their test card and take a comparison photo.
So, that has me hopeful that they can make some adjustment to the formula; while "Automnotivetouchup.com" refuses to do that.

What sources and luck have ya'll Cuda folks had in matching aged paint??
DD-1 is a metallic color, as are ALL of the 1967 Plymouth colors with the word "poly" in the name. 1967 DD-1 is "Light Blue Poly", a silvery-blue metallic. I had a Barracuda convertible that was DD-1. I can't speak to the current color of your car, if it has been repainted.

DD-1 is a metallic color, as are ALL of the 1967 Plymouth colors with the word "poly" in the name. 1967 DD-1 is "Light Blue Poly", a silvery-blue metallic. I had a Barracuda convertible that was DD-1. I can't speak to the current color of your car, if it has been repainted.
That, of courrse is the BIG QUESTION!!!
Has it been repainted???

Having to dig around in the door jam corners and crusty bottom corners through several layers, I suspect this may be the case.

Thanks again to BrianT for the O'Reillys reminder.
They do not use the Spectrum" system any more here, per se.
But, they do use the camera.
I spent a good 2 hours there today, including a lunch wait for Ray, the paint expert.
(The new guys couldn't even find the old paint info in their color system)
His first try was closer than anything I had tried so far, and he put it in rattle cans.

The second try was flipping the metallic with another ingredient number and he came relly, really close.
I bought both cans, since I can always use first color in the trunk. He gave me a discount for the first "off" can.
Now that I've got the custom formula, I can pass it along to the guys who will paint my engine bay; unless they just want me to get a gallon from O'Reillys for them.

-
Back