Just a "Little" Askew, That's All

-

dibbons

Reaction score
After painting the '65 Formula S in pieces, it's time to put it back together. Let's begin at the trunk and work our way up front. This is what happens when a trunk hinge breaks and one continues to open and close the trunk that way for the next ten years.

DSC07485.JPG

Last edited:
I had a truck door thay didnt seal on top. The body guy just put a sandbag in the door sill and pushed the top of the door frame in...animal! Worked ......

my trunk lid on my 66 barracuda was same way. took me half a day to get it to line up. just be patient.

Without the trim installed, I can see the drivers side hinge is almost touching the trunk lid while I can place my finger between the hinge and the trunk lid on the passenger side. There is no way to adjust that discrepancy by sliding the hinges around a few mm (I wish it were that easy). In my opinion, the trunk has suffered a serious twist and some serious bending/banging/surgery is in order.

What I am saying is first off, we need to get the hinges looking even side to side before the fine tuning. Since the hinges are some kind of solid cast iron or steel, the only thing that we can possibly budge will have to be the trunk lid.

And the photo does not show the driver's side, which is bent downward about the same amount that the passenger side is bent upwards. Maybe bent is not the right word.

If someone by chance had some photos of the hinges attached without the trim, we could possibly determine what factory clearance was between the hinge and the sheet metal of the trunk lid. I am guessing it is half-way between my driver's side almost touching and my passenger's side being able to slide an index finger between the two.

Last edited:
Have you installed the trunk prop rod yet? it might help push driver side up a little to aid in adjustment. it did on mine.

-
Back