Just Changed Dog Food! Canidae

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Yep, my dogs have had enough ear problems! Time to switch to Canidae Dry. They love it! I figured I'd do it on the weekend to avoid Barf/Poop problems when I'm not around, lol.

So far, so good. It's twice the price but I can get it in 44 lb. bags. Rotts have pretty tolerant guts for the most part. Not like my GSD's.

Yep, my dogs have had enough ear problems! Time to switch to Canidae Dry. They love it! I figured I'd do it on the weekend to avoid Barf/Poop problems when I'm not around, lol.

So far, so good. It's twice the price but I can get it in 44 lb. bags. Rotts have pretty tolerant guts for the most part. Not like my GSD's.

It's a excellent food. My GSD refused to eat it. So I switched him to Taste of the Wild,he loves it. All natural ingredients about the same price depending where you get it. I get the Bison and Venison his favorite. It's $42.00 at Tractor Supply.

It's a excellent food. My GSD refused to eat it. So I switched him to Taste of the Wild,he loves it. All natural ingredients about the same price depending where you get it. I get the Bison and Venison his favorite. It's $42.00 at Tractor Supply.

"Taste of the Wild" is the best of the best! More pricey than Canidae for sure and probably better for them. No TSC here in Colorado... I paid 79 bucks for 44 lbs. of Canidae and that might last 2 weeks between my two monsters.

"Taste of the Wild" is the best of the best! More pricey than Canidae for sure and probably better for them. No TSC here in Colorado... I paid 79 bucks for 44 lbs. of Canidae and that might last 2 weeks between my two monsters.

You can order off the net,but I don't what extra they will charge for that.

My Aussie was raised on Canidae....she likes it.

It's rated in the top 10 of all dry dog foods! Plus, they sponsor a pro-stock car. :thumleft:

You can order off the net,but I don't what extra they will charge for that.

Shipping might kill me. These dogs will smoke through 35 lbs. in 14 days, easy. One is 70 lbs., the other is over 100. 103 last time at the vet and she said he was fine at his weight. Maximus needs to get down to 65 though...

My wife and I did some research on what to look for in health dog food. The consensus (there is that word again) is to look at the product contend label. The first two ingredients should be meat and meat byproducts. Additional enzymes are also a benefit. Stay away from the first item being corn or grain because, if feeding and activity level are not closely regulated, the dogs could quickly become fat.

We have been buying Diamond brand Lamb & Rice formula dog food from Tractor Supply. The dogs, all eight of them, have never been healthier.

Well yeah..... :violent2:

80 bucks for a 30 pound bag? I just can't do it. That wouldn't last 2 weeks, lol!
WOW!!!! 80 buck!!! Dang Joe i could send you a thirty lb bag I can get it for 41 a bag here in Jonesboro Ark. Yes at Tractor Supply here in town to like old tired rebel, I screwed up one time and picked up a bag of the Salmon and that stuff sticks BAD FISHY smell
I changed to 4 health about 2 ta three months ago Joe, But I will look at the Canidae Dry and see if it has wheat in it, Boxers are elegaic to wheat as you know by now ;-)

Buddy was raised on this till 1 year old and know on 4 health

Here is my first bag I bought to try and he had a good stool and loved it.

Our great member just got him a new friend in life :love10: a beautiful white Boxer, then as you have seen before my bud Buddy is about 15 month old know and doing grrrrreat :thumleft:

Attachments

• PLYMOUTH%20RACING%202010%20074.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 221
  • PLYMOUTH%20RACING%202010%20082.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 233
  • PC270020%20(Custom).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 213
  • THIS%20IS%20BUDDY%20MY%20NEW%20BUD%20030.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 090.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 225

What ear problems have your dogs been having? I ask because if my dog has the same problem and your problem is fixed, I'm switching.

This is a very delicate, and touchy subject , since we want to be the best we can be to our dogs. Well most of us anyway, dogs are a gift from god IMO.

We were sold on Cannadae by our vet, and pet supply store, thought we were doing the best we could do.

Then when that China thing happened with the dog food, I started questioning everything, then I found this site. At the time Cannadae was rated very low, but it is much higher now, they have some in the 5 star catagory.

We have now had our very special Toto on Innova reduced fat adult food for about 3 years. He is peppier, happier, and has slimmed down a lot.

We quit buying the packaged treats as well (corn syrup) and bought a dehydrator. We dehydrate chicken breast chunks, and give them to him for treats. That way we know he isn't getting sea gull soaked in chinese anti freeze. :D

Hey Joe, you might want to take a look at this dog food. It's made up here, no wheat or efn corn, no animal "byproducts", contains real fish and chicken and not to pricey and it's got sellers in Denver. Jake loves it and depending on the choice it's high in protein so you can feed them less than what you'd have to feed them with the other crap sold out there. They also have a complete grain free variety.

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/

What ear problems have your dogs been having? I ask because if my dog has the same problem and your problem is fixed, I'm switching.

Merlin's ears were irritated and red. he was constantly shaking head in the eveinings, I had him checked out and it's not an ear mite problem.

Two days on Canidae and no more head shaking. :thumleft:

Merlin's ears were irritated and red. he was constantly shaking head in the eveinings, I had him checked out and it's not an ear mite problem.

Two days on Canidae and no more head shaking. :thumleft:

My GSD was having the same problem ears itching then all over itching... My wife kept buying Pedigree to feed him after I told her the food was the problem. Switched him back to Taste of the wild it has all but stop except for the normal itching.

Another Taste of the Wild believer here. Tried a few different brands and this seems to be the least expensive grain-free food that has a really good amount of named meat products in it. I haven't tried the salmon variety, but my dogs love the Prairie/Bison flavor. I have 3 dogs (50/70/100+ lbs) and it takes me roughly 2 weeks to go through a 30lb bag using the recommended feeding guidelines. It costs me about $43 for a 30lb bag at the Feeder's Supply Store.

This thread prompted me to go get me some Canidae! I got a 30lb bag for $36.99. We'll see how it does, I went to the vet and they said my boxer has a food allergy that's causing her to have the swollen irritated ears. Hopefully this fixes it. I didn't buy the grain free, I figured I'd start with Canidae's cheapest line, then move to the higher end grain free foods if this doesn't fix it.

Here's her as a puppy:
13750_1239957128410_1513751583_624084_2923260_n.jpg

and now about 1 year old guarding my parent's house, with trebuchet and all:
28220_1433049755605_1513751583_1058813_1510593_n.jpg

Is Homecloned's boxer deaf or going blind? I know when a boxer is born white they typically put them down because they have a genetic problem that causes them many health problems, most commonly blindness and deafness.

Is Homecloned's boxer deaf or going blind? I know when a boxer is born white they typically put them down because they have a genetic problem that causes them many health problems, most commonly blindness and deafness.

I have never looked that up, I do have a friend that has two and they are from two different mothers and one is over five years old and doing real good and the young one is about 3 and plays and looks great, I have herd of Dalmatians having these problem.

I sure hope not, That would hurt homecloned and he is so happy with Chase, I think that is his name.

Thats some good dog food. High buck too. I work at a feed store and we sell Nutrena feeds so thats what my critters eat. I get a discount.

Thanks memike, Demonseed, HemiEd and everyone else for all the good info. I think I'm gettting ripped on the price, lol! I'll keep looking around and look into a few other brands too. I got the All Life Stages and the only grain listed is brown rice. I swear their coats are softer too, even after only 3 full days of food.

Apparently they have more energy too since they ate today's mail.....:sad8:

Dang near spit my milk and cookies :toothy10::toothy7::toothy7:

LMAO, sorry bud :toothy2:

It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just bills but I got a late B-day card from one of my sisters. It had a picture of me as a newborn in it. They ate me, dam it!!

It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just bills but I got a late B-day card from one of my sisters. It had a picture of me as a newborn in it. They ate me, dam it!!
Not good, Know I lost my laughing buzz. I hope your sister has another, But something tells me she found it and sent it to you.
Time for a time out you two, get on the couch in the shop and I mean know Maxi and Merlin :angel12:

-
Back