just dont remeber

-

cnrtybyathrt

Reaction score
i had mopars when i was younger got out of them but recently bought a 1974 duster 318 2 barrrel it seams a little doggish got look around shouldnt it have a vacume advance dist.it is an electronic dist. motor seams to be stock thank you for any help i get

I'm not a mechanic but I'm pretty sure '74 should still have a vacumn advance. If it's supposed to and doesn't, that will sure make it doggy.
Hopefully one of the mechanics will chime in here.
Dallas

thats what i was thinking was at the boneyard the other day seen vacume advance on 1974 dodge pickup should have gotten will go back today to get it thank you

Someone may have replaced the distributor on your car with the wrong one. I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking that some of the 80s models didn't use a vacumn advance, it was controlled electronically somehow.
Check out a used unit carefully. Make sure there's no slop in the shaft. I've seen them that feel tight but have a loose spot when you turn the shaft. Also the 'advance plate' or whatever it's called can get rusted and frozen up, and the advance unit itself can get a pinhole and quit working.
I generally try to buy a reman at the parts store unless I have a known good unit. They run about $40-45.
Dallas
P.S. Also keep in mind this advice is coming from a bodyman, I don't pretend to be a mechanic-unless I'm stranded. :-D

It should have an electronic, vacuum advance type distributor which also has a mechanical advance system. The later Lean Burn versions didn't have either and if installed in a non Lean Burn car, they would cause the engine to have no power and probably overheat. Any small block distributor around that year will work but if you can get one from a 340 or 360 4bbl for a bit better performance. I've not run across many worn shaft problems with an electronic distributor. They seem to be more forgiving than the old point style one. I've had shafts worn so bad the reluctor was clipping the pickup coil and it still didn't miss! Just make sure the pickup mounting plate doesn't flop around.
Thanks, Mark

-
Back