Just Got a Demon

-

regginator

Reaction score
Hey Guys. First post here.I just picked up a 1972 Dodge Demon. My uncle bought the car brand new when he got out of the service and drove it for around ten years. It has been parked in a shed of his since 1982. It's yellow with a white vinyl top, and white interior. Has a 318 and my uncle swapped in a 4 speed and put in a Mr. Gasket V-Gate shifter. The car is rough. I guess my cousin drove the car for a year or two during those ten years and he did some pretty shotty stuff. The main thing being trying to flare the rear fenders. And it has been slightly vandalized. All glass is broken out of it aside from the driver window which was rolled down, and the trunk was pried open and is a little messed up. The interior is a mess and the valve covers were taken off and the rad is gone. Other Than that though, the car is in good shape IMO. To the average guy, it might look like a junker, but the body is 95% straight, and it has no cancer, just some surface rust. And I was able to find almost every part from the car in my uncles shed. I know what I want to do with the car body wise, but for the interior and powertrain, I'm not sure. I don't know if i want to leave the stock seats in there and get them recovered (pricey I think) or find some seat's out of a late model car and stuff them in there. And I'm not sure if I want to go original and go white leather interior, and go with black leather. And for the powertrain: I'm not sure if I want to leave the 318 in it and leave the 4 speed or back it with a 5 speed, or go with a modern fuel injected engine and an overdrive trans. I'm leaning towards the latter because I want some decent fuel economy out of it. I'm excited to have this car and I would really enjoy some opinions on the matter. I'll post up some pictures in a little while. Thanks all, Kyle.

Sounds like you have a cool Demon project! Did your uncle keep any of the paperwork from when he bought the car? Any pictures of it from back then?

I'm sure he has some paper work, but I'll have to talk to him next time I go down there. That part of my family lives in New Mexico and I live up in Idaho. I didn't even get the title from him (I'm not even sure he still has it). And I think I could find a picture or two of it from back then. My family has always been anal about pictures haha.

Congrat's on the new to you Demon. What you do to it should be all your choice, only listen to others idea's. Make it your car, your way. I like your idea of a modern drivetrain, but the 4-speed is cool and already there.

Jack

Sounds like real nice Demon! Hope to see some past and present pictures.

Ok finally got some pictures.

The awesome "flared" fenders.

And the under side :violent1:

Some interior pictures.

The truck full of interior panels.

The old 318 in all it's glory.

And I found 2 cans of this in the trunk. ! still full even haha.

That's all I've got for now. I went out to spin the engine over today to make sure it wasnt locked up, and it wasn't. So I bought new plugs and wires and will get it running tomorrow after I try to make a key :banghead:

Welcome Kyle! I think it's great that you got a car that's been in the family since new and that you want to save it.

But honestly, your gonna end up with a lot of cash into a 318 car to make it like your talking about. I'm not trying to discourage you, just want you to be aware of what's to come.

Might not be a popular opinion, but if the floors and rails are as clean as you say, it would make a real nice drag car.

Good Luck, Rick

I plan to put alot of cash in it. I want it back to how it was from the factory for the most part. I didn't even plan on touching it for a few years, but I figure I'll get it moving and wrench on it here and there as I finish up a few other projects I have going. It's not going to be a fast project by any means.

great save on the demon! these are great cars and with a little elbow grease you'll have something you'll enjoy for a long time. This site has great knowledge one these cars. Best of luck with your build!!

I think the first order of business is to go see your cousin and kick him in the nuts for the wheel flares, geez :violent1: Once that's done you can cheerfully proceed :D

That and get it registered in your name. I guess that's a lot easier in the States for the most part. Where I am, if you don't get registration papers it's a nightmare getting it into your name.

Nice rust free body, shame it was vandalized :angry7:

I think the first order of business is to go see your cousin and kick him in the nuts for the wheel flares, geez :violent1: Once that's done you can cheerfully proceed :D

That and get it registered in your name. I guess that's a lot easier in the States for the most part. Where I am, if you don't get registration papers it's a nightmare getting it into your name.

I don't see a nice rust free body anywhere in this thread. If its the car that you really want to restore, then enjoy!

I don't see a nice rust free body anywhere in this thread. If its the car that you really want to restore, then enjoy!
I don't see anywhere on this car where it has anything more than surface rust, except under the flares on the rear quarter, and that's only where the buggery welds are, and where they hacked out the floor pan when they put the 4 speed and v-gate shifter in. Honestly the car looks alot rougher in these pictures IMO.

Haha heck, in reality, it could have been my uncle who did the flares. I have never seen anything he's touched in his life turn out bad, but he did get this car when he was young and maybe still learning to do things. I don't know and I'm not gonna ask him, haha. I'll just assume it was his son. I'm going to replace the rear quarter skins though. Less headache. And I haven't even got a title for it yet. I'm not sure if he even has one. But it wont be hard to get a duplicate. I'm not too worried about it.

Looks like a good project to me.
I really love the woodwork in the interior.

That thing definitely needs some love. I'll bet it's in decent shape once you get it torn apart and cleaned up. Just remember that 99.9% of these old cars will cost more to restore then they will be worth when done. Build the car you want and enjoy it. If that means going back to a stock restored 318 car then do it.

I was going to mention the woodgrain too, nice door panels and gauge cluster bezel!

Where I'm from, that car is pretty damn rust free.

I would concentrate on getting a title in your name first before you start putting money in it. Would be a piss off to start spending $$ on it and find out there's a snag in getting a title.

I remember when I got mine, needless to say I really like your Demon. looking to follow your progress on FABO.

Attachments

• July 6,2012 098.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 250
That Demon will look great when done! The yellow with white top and interior is a combination I haven't seen yet in my eye's and will have to follow your thread here.

Here's a couple pics of a Demon similar to yours.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 202
  • sizzler.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 210
Thanks guys. It won't stay a 318 car. I've decided to go with a new fuel injected engine and overdrive trans. However I will get the 318 running and dink around with it. I would have had it running today but I spent too much time messing with making a key. I went and bought a blank and tried to file it but I can't quite seem to get it. I'll have a little more money to play with it here shortly. I'm going to downgrade trucks to get rid of my payment. Anyone on here want a nice 2nd gen 24 valve cummins? Haha I've decided I'm gonna go back to a powerstroke for now :D

What part of Idaho? There's a few of us in the CDA & Spokane area.
It will look great in original color.

-
Back