Just got an a833od from 1977 for a 65 barracuda

-
What can I expect to swap out due to the 11 year difference in car and part, if anything at all.

(I assume you got it from an F) the f body pedals won't work and the z bar will be different. (even if it was a late A thought the pedals won't work) check to make sure the bell housing and clutch will fit as the earlier car has a smaller trans tunnel. drive shaft will be different and clutch rod might be different.
The trans should work fine thought as well as the shifter and rods.

A and F have the same configuration. '76 was the last year for A bodies in America.
The orange tranny is an A body one thats going in an F and the purple one is an F body one thats now in an A.

DCP_3669.jpg

DCP_4214.jpg

I wish I had a better shot of the purple one, but the orange one looks the same as mine, but there is what appears to be a casting date on it, severly faded though.

well you have the big part the tranny, check the clutch and bell housing that might go in (i haven't dealt with the early stuff).

If you need a set of pedals, linkage, I have some.

If the trans is from a Volare/Aspen it will bolt into a 65 Cuda. You will probably need to change the front of your driveshaft or get a new/different shaft if it's a ball and trunion style.

I called wildcat today and they said all I have to do is swap out the torque shaft and torque shaft bracket. The pedals in my barracuda would be fine.

if the pedals are from an F body they will not fit. I can take pics of both in the morning they are completely different. I hear the pedals from an '67 and up A body won't fit the pre '67 stuff either.

Unless that orange one has been modified, it is not from a big block Dart.

I gave the #s on the pad to a friend who has holindar books and thats what he told me it was. Thats also what the po told me. (he said that it was in an original bb dart and in 1980 he sold the car to some kid who put it in a telephone pole the next day, it had been sitting in his shop ever since. I had my mechanic take a look at the insides and he told me that it looked like the story was possible) It has the 4.8in IBR (23 spline) and the 727 output shaft. The shifter is off of a different car.

How would I re-verify this?
I will did it out from under the work bench and pull the #s again too.

I called wildcat today and they said all I have to do is swap out the torque shaft and torque shaft bracket. The pedals in my barracuda would be fine.

Really? They didn't mention that an o/d tranny has a much bigger front bearing retainer that will need a different bellhousing? They should know that.

Go here for info. http://www.passonperformance.com/

Wylde1.

I'm getting the corresponding bellhousing for that tranmission, the drilled for 3 or 4 speed. Even if I run into problems I don't forsee a huge issue, I have a whole 3 bay fully stocked automotive shop at my disposal. Plus life is easier with lifts and trans jacks.

I gave the #s on the pad to a friend who has holindar books and thats what he told me it was. Thats also what the po told me. (he said that it was in an original bb dart and in 1980 he sold the car to some kid who put it in a telephone pole the next day, it had been sitting in his shop ever since. I had my mechanic take a look at the insides and he told me that it looked like the story was possible) It has the 4.8in IBR (23 spline) and the 727 output shaft. The shifter is off of a different car.

How would I re-verify this?
I will did it out from under the work bench and pull the #s again too.
Don't need to run any numbers, the case is a '70 and up. The last year for the big block Dart was '69.

Don't need to run any numbers, the case is a '70 and up. The last year for the big block Dart was '69.

whats the difference between the '70 and up cases and the '69 and earlier ones?

also what would the 4.8in ibr come out of? a 340 car? I thought the large ibr was only in big block cars

Sorry night rider on the thread hijack

No worries, I was on Passon and they said my od trans will go right in with a new bellhousing and a few minor new parts, no pedals required! So it looks to be an easy project for this weekend.

No worries, I was on Passon and they said my od trans will go right in with a new bellhousing and a few minor new parts, no pedals required! So it looks to be an easy project for this weekend.

so what pedals are yo using?

whats the difference between the '70 and up cases and the '69 and earlier ones?

also what would the 4.8in ibr come out of? a 340 car? I thought the large ibr was only in big block cars

Sorry night rider on the thread hijack

Well the most noticable difference is the webbing between the shift linkage bosses. Also, the large 308 bearing was used in the later cases...not the pre-'70, they were all 307, except Hemi.

-
Back