just got iphone 4

-

71dustar

Reaction score
fedex just dropped off my iphone 4 and i have to say it is unbelievable. everything about the phone is better. the biggest and most noticeable is the clearity of the screen.

I'm still debating between that and the Incredible, I have the regular iphone 3g and the homescreens are just too bland now...and iOS4 doesn't let me have a custom background...ugh! looks like I'ma have to jailbreak it yet again!

ya i had the 3g not the 3gs and always jail broke the phone. apple needs to get with the program on letting the consumer have more choices. i never messed with a 3gs but the 4 vs 3g is like night and day difference.

What does jailbreaking do for you besides allowing the use of other carriers SIM cards?

I have a 3G and when I got it I though the only difference was memory and some software features. I am disappointed Apple was clearer about the differences.

Also, iOS 4 has slowed my phone down, I wish I could go back.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Apple/Mac fan but my experience with my iPhone 3G has been less than stellar. I am on my 5th replacement in less than two years. My warranty is up in two months and I am seriously going to be shopping around to see if there is something that may work out better for me. Between the iPhone and AT&T, product/service leave a lot to be desired.

Jon, I hope the 4 works out well for you.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Apple/Mac fan but my experience with my iPhone 3G has been less than stellar. I am on my 5th replacement in less than two years. My warranty is up in two months and I am seriously going to be shopping around to see if there is something that may work out better for me. Between the iPhone and AT&T, product/service leave a lot to be desired.

Jon, I hope the 4 works out well for you.

How did you get a warranty? I was told there is no warranty with my iphone 3g

All the iPhones have a one year warranty from Apple.

My wife an I got 3G phones last August. In January of this year mine started acting up by locking up and requiring a forced reboot. I went back to AT&T to have them look at it and they told me that they didn't deal with technical issues with the iPhone and I had to go to an Apple Store. Kind of surprised me since I got the phone from AT&T but it wasn't a big deal since the Apple store was just down the street. Anyway the wanted to try restoring the software first with no non-apple Apps but the next day it was doing it again so they gave me a new phone with no hassles. I have had no problems since.

I have been with AT&T for 4 years now (switched from Sprint) and have never had an issue with coverage or dropped calls. I have been all over the US (including Alaska), parts of Canada and quite a few places in the Carribean and have never not been able to make a call. Sprint was awfull in my area (south of Boston), I would completely loose coverage 4 or 5 times on my commute to work and couldn't use it in doors at work and it plan didn't work out side the US. It wasn't until I got the iPhone that I heard all the complaining about AT&T. A buddy of mine has a Motorola Droid phone on Verizon, nice phone but accessing anything via Verizons 3G network is noticably slower than doing the same thing on the AT&T network.

As I mentioned before Apple did not make it clear that the 3GS has a faster processor than the 3G, I just though the difference was the memory and the magnetic compass and some other software features. After playing with my sons 3GS (he just upgraded from the orignal iPhone a couple of months back) I kind of wish I had paid the extra for the 3GS but I guess I will wait for my contract to expire and the iPhone 5 will be out.

ya i had the 3g not the 3gs and always jail broke the phone. apple needs to get with the program on letting the consumer have more choices. i never messed with a 3gs but the 4 vs 3g is like night and day difference.

i agree i have a jail broke 3G . they really need to allow me to do what i want with my phone. they limit it too much. it can do so much more then they allow. i love mine ( now that its jail broke) but would love a 4.

Again what does jailbreaking do for you besides allowing it to be used on other networks?

All I want is a cell phone..... That makes phone calls. My sprint service sucks and I'll be changing out to verizon shortly.

jailbreaking allows for free apps that apple wont allow like blacklist (block calls and messsages), at the time a video recorder before apple got smart, and other free apps. also allows you to change the keyboard color, the sliders, the dock, different themes, and so much more.

If you're really into it and brave enough you can change the way the memory is handled. meaning which part of the memory will be used when using apps and what not to make the phone run faster.

Anyone figured how to use a video player on 3g

Video player or recorder? I down loaded a free app from the app store that allows me to record/play videos on my 3G, also down loaded a free app that gives me digital zoom.

How did you get a warranty? I was told there is no warranty with my iphone 3g

Actually, I purchased the AppleCare program for an additional $79 and thank God I did. Otherwise, the 1 year mnfr warranty would have been over and I would have had to purchased a brand new phone (2-3 times after the original warranty ended). Since I had a 2-year plan with AT&T (the iPhone's only service provider), I have to at least keep the phone until then.

jailbreaking allows for free apps that apple wont allow like blacklist (block calls and messsages), at the time a video recorder before apple got smart, and other free apps. also allows you to change the keyboard color, the sliders, the dock, different themes, and so much more.

If you're really into it and brave enough you can change the way the memory is handled. meaning which part of the memory will be used when using apps and what not to make the phone run faster.

where do you find these apps? Also, what jailbreak softeware do you recomend. I also heard that if you jailbreak the phone it voids the warranty. Is that true?

there is an app when you jailbreak your phone called cydia. its basically like the app store where people create their own apps, themes, and what not and anyone can see them if its jailbroken.

look up devteam jailbreak. they always have updates on how to do it based on what firmware you have. It took me a little while to get mine broken just cuz i was new but its not bad. you can change the look of start up screen too. Last time i jailbroke my phone was with the firmware 3.1.2 because they said 3.1.3 wasn't that great to upgrade too.

It most certainly will because once you jailbreak it you'll more than likely change different things about the iphone plus have apps that you wont ever see on app store. i didn't get the extended warranty on my phone so after the first year i jail broke it.

If you get real good you can change the sms tones to songs or other noises using another program other than the pwnage tool.

There is so much that can be done with these phones once you get around apples blockades.

Video player or recorder? I down loaded a free app from the app store that allows me to record/play videos on my 3G, also down loaded a free app that gives me digital zoom.

Well when i first got the 3g there was no video recorder so when i got it jailbroken i was able to do videos. you can also hide apps that you don't want, put in blank spaces so you can see the background.

Thanks! I think I will wait until it's off warranty before messing with it.

-
Back