Just Got Layed Off

-
They asked what I needed right now and my first thought was the slinky I got from Memike's brother, kutocando. They brought it down for me. I really wanted the cell phone to get the numbers off but that wasn't going to happen. I also have a really nice pen and my "hemi" engine model on my desk. A thumb drive too. I better get that stuff back.

Ahh...Fishing! That would be great but gas costs money. A friend owes me a workout bench and some more weights so that's going to be my stress reducer. That and some serious dog walking. I really like to write too, so that will also be on the agenda.

Thanks Matt. I always wanted to start my own business, maybe this is the kick in the pants I needed. God works in mysterious ways. It would be a mobile IT/telecom business and I would call it "Intelligents". :) My motto would be "Why call a geek if you could call an Intellegent?" :-D

Networking, servers and custom built computers would my specialty along with de-virusing and performance tuning. Hot Rod computers, if you will. I have tons of exeperience in this field. Also data cabling and server room setup, telecom cabling, phone system installation and programming, custom linux server programming, etc.

Hell, I'll build a nice custom garage workbench if someone wants. :cheers:

I have lots of skills, the problem is finding someone to pay me for it. I'll even build a custom motorcycle for someone. Whatever it takes, I will do... No bull.

In 92 when GTE government systems hacked my job (world-wide network administrator) I opened my own business. Micro Consultants does just what you are talking about. Have had some hard times but never regretted it! I could never go back to work for someone else now, not that there are many places that would hire a 62 year old computer geek! Anyway, I like being my own boss. No one's a$$ to chew except my own when a screw up happens. Main thing is, don't try to get too big. Pick a niche field and stick with it. Mine happens to be medical/dental and accounting. I have more business than I can handle sometimes but it all works out. Most of the companies around here only offer carry in service on PCs and won't do weekend or evening work. I've gotten a lot of their business by doing things when offices are closed for business and not interfering with the normal operations. Naturally I sub some things. My artificial knees won't take a lot of climbing and crawling so cableing gets outsourced to another guy that runs a small te-con cabling company.

Larry

Damn, Ram, that is real bad news. I will pray for you and your critters.

I worked for Grumman Aerospace and the company went from 26,000 employees to about 8,000 in the course of three years. That was during a strong economy. It was a great job and it felt like a kick in the nuts when I was laid off. Just remain positive and put your trust in you-know-Who.

Hey, Joe PM sent :read2:

~Mary

Thank you! :cheers:

I am also looking at the possibility of a lay off.
The company I work for, Danka, was purchased by Konica Minolta.
This was supposed to be a great thing. 60 days ago.

Since then it has been requested that I turn in my territory management sheet information, customer base and machines in field.

I also requested from marketing a $200.00 expense to have a booh at our local business Expo. Denied! .......Whaaatt!!!

I also requested a Konica Copier unit for my office instead of the ole Danka Toshiba. That is what I now sell.
Denied! ...........Whhaaatt!

My area is profetable, and when I bring these requests up to my VP, If he ever calls me back or responds to my e-mails, I know he is not being truthful.

Its that felling in my gut!

Corporate America.

I am feeling out other income avenues. I will not quit however.

Good luck ramcharger.

Have a Great day!

Ken

Thank you Kuto! The writings on the wall.... Like you, I will not give up! No way no how!

RAM and MeMike----DeFeNSMaN...I played hockey as a kid...well still do..yes there is ICE in hawaii!

looks like you got some good support here...Ram...don't forget that!

Aloha!

Agreed my Hawaiin friend! The support I've received here, even in writing is incredible. It truly makes me feel needed as well as the call backs from my some of my family and co-workers. Aloha!

I remember the Chicago Blackhawks playing before they even had helmets! You must be seriuosly disturbed, lol. Back in the day we used to play hockey in park. They used to flood it and put up gates. One kid lost a tooth and it was all over, he sued. They never flooded the park again. :angry7:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.I also have been working on/off now off again for 2 weeks.I,ve only worked 4 weeks in 14(Auto industry)Things are going to be picking up for us at Ford,Oakville(Ontario,Canada)With a new model Lincoln MKT,7 passenger 3.7 eco-boost turbo.That will make 4 different vehicles at our plant.Hope things start to pick-up everywhere!

Shoot pettyblu,
I hope things pick up on your end to. I never had a problem with Fords. I still beleive that the 351C was the best small block ever made (duckin' and running, lol) and I wish you luck.

In 92 when GTE government systems hacked my job (world-wide network administrator) I opened my own business. Micro Consultants does just what you are talking about. Have had some hard times but never regretted it! I could never go back to work for someone else now, not that there are many places that would hire a 62 year old computer geek! Anyway, I like being my own boss. No one's a$$ to chew except my own when a screw up happens. Main thing is, don't try to get too big. Pick a niche field and stick with it. Mine happens to be medical/dental and accounting. I have more business than I can handle sometimes but it all works out. Most of the companies around here only offer carry in service on PCs and won't do weekend or evening work. I've gotten a lot of their business by doing things when offices are closed for business and not interfering with the normal operations. Naturally I sub some things. My artificial knees won't take a lot of climbing and crawling so cableing gets outsourced to another guy that runs a small te-con cabling company.

Larry

Great info Larry and Dental is great place to be for IT. 24/7 is key. These days it's all about service and that I would intend to provide, but at a premium.Cableing sucks but I'll do whatever it takes. My health is good, thank Goodness! 210 lbs and 5'11. I'm built like a fireplug and my heart is strong and BP low. So far.

Damn, Ram, that is real bad news. I will pray for you and your critters.

I worked for Grumman Aerospace and the company went from 26,000 employees to about 8,000 in the course of three years. That was during a strong economy. It was a great job and it felt like a kick in the nuts when I was laid off. Just remain positive and put your trust in you-know-Who.

Thanks Fish. I saw that big *** pack y'all are taking care of and I'm impressed! Keep up the good work!

Yep, felt like I got kicked in the gonads. My emotional gonads. I thought I got past that after I got out of situation with my X this summer, the hits just keep coming.

Bullshit I say! Fk 'em all! I will not lay down and die. I WILL make something work for crying out loud. Ah! Led Zep just came on.... "Over the hills and far away" live! My dreams can come true if I work hard enough!!

Hey Ramcharger, don't stress too much! When I got laid off I was pretty tense until I got that beautiful letter in the mail saying I could get unemployment. Then all my tension went away and I started the body work on my car.

You'll eventually find something to occupy your time while you look for a job. My ritual is job searching from 8am to noon and the rest of the day is dedicated to the car.

Enjoy the time off, you'll spend the better part of your life working.

Very true Highway but I doubt it will pay for just my rent on the house. I'm presenty spelling disabled. lol!

Right now I'm listening to "Old Man" by Neil Young. My "Old Man" was my Dad, a WWII veteran that survived three beachheads. If he was alive right now he would be kicking me in the ***!! LOl! I can just see him asking me "Well, what did you do?" "Nothing, dad, they let six other people go". "Hmmmm" he would say. "How do you plan on figuring this out?" Lol!

No one's problem but mine.. Liike he said, I'll figure it out.

What the hell day is it anyway? I woke up thinking it was Wednesday, apparently, it just wasn't my day.

Bullshit I say! Fk 'em all! I will not lay down and die. I WILL make something work for crying out loud. Ah! Led Zep just came on.... "Over the hills and far away" live! My dreams can come true if I work hard enough!!

I'm fairly new here, but was sorry to hear about your situation. You sound like you have a great attitude. From reading your posts, I see you have a good sense of humor. Keep that, no matter what. It'll get you through just about anything. Keep the faith and good luck.

Man, that sucks ramcharger. You have marketable skills in a whole lot of different areas. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. I believe everything happens for a reason. This is just a test...

At&t just announced new hiring, they need 3000 new people. You might want to check them out. Verizon is still building FIOS around here, NJ. You might want to talk to them. I worked for them for 38 years, they are in the middle of a big expansion. They are trying to build a one service fits all system. Good luck, it's a strange time!

Sorry to hear you got let go RC. Its looking like my days are numbered too. if it takes awhile to get something steady again have you thought about doing auto side work? i have been doing a few here and there to compensate for cut hours and it helps out alot. i know you have damn good mechanical skills and with everyone tryng to pinch pennies they can't afford shop rates. hell if i didn't know crap and lived in Colorado i'd want ya working on the old mope. good luck and hope something shows up quick for you RC. Johnny.

Sorry to hear this news ramcharger .
I hope better things are in store for you down the road .

I'm fairly new here, but was sorry to hear about your situation. You sound like you have a great attitude. From reading your posts, I see you have a good sense of humor. Keep that, no matter what. It'll get you through just about anything. Keep the faith and good luck.

Thank you sir and I do promise to keep the faith. :) No one can take my sense of humour, as dry as it may be.

Man, that sucks ramcharger. You have marketable skills in a whole lot of different areas. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. I believe everything happens for a reason. This is just a test...

I do so believe that you are right. I am being tested (again and again and again, lol). Unlike a cat, I am unlikely to land on my feet, but I will land on my head, lol! Maybe it'll knock some sense into my dumb ***. :)

At&t just announced new hiring, they need 3000 new people. You might want to check them out. Verizon is still building FIOS around here, NJ. You might want to talk to them. I worked for them for 38 years, they are in the middle of a big expansion. They are trying to build a one service fits all system. Good luck, it's a strange time!

Yes it is. I will give verizon a shot.

Sorry to hear you got let go RC. Its looking like my days are numbered too. if it takes awhile to get something steady again have you thought about doing auto side work? i have been doing a few here and there to compensate for cut hours and it helps out alot. i know you have damn good mechanical skills and with everyone tryng to pinch pennies they can't afford shop rates. hell if i didn't know crap and lived in Colorado i'd want ya working on the old mope. good luck and hope something shows up quick for you RC. Johnny.

I will take any side jobs availible and will not take payment until the customer is satisfied. That should be the American way....

Sorry to hear this news ramcharger .
I hope better things are in store for you down the road .

Mmm.. the road. If it's profitable I will do it, if it's hard I will overcome it, if it's beautiful I will admire it, if it loves me I will take care of it. What else could God ask of me?

Ask yourselves this same question. :read2:

Any wisdom I'm missing?

I asked a woman in the park just 20 minutes ago to stop and pet my dog. He needs socializing. She said "I'm scared to death of dogs!". I said "Well, he's scared to death of joggers as he's a rescue". :) They enjoyed each others company for about a minute. :-D She as though she had petted a wolf. :cheers:She was enamored. :) :-D

Now I'm hearing "A Horse With No Name". Should I feel good to be out of the rain?

Just two is all, thank Goodness. I'd had three if I got Cole. Check him out, they don't mention it but he is part wolf. Not to mention Chief! Please read these guys stories!!!! My situation sucks but not nearly as bad as what these GSD's have been through:

http://www.sheprescue.org/

Common Memike! I know you could handle Chief!! He needs you!

chief%20sick.jpg

chief%20sick%204.jpg

OK Fine! I'm gonna settle this for once and all. I'm not some fat kid hiding behind a screen. I'm goona be buzzed, but this me! I just gotta figure ou the timer.....

The kennel attendants should be proud as I am of them RC8), But this house and I and my children's animal's I take care of and glad to do it , they keep me busy.
He is a great dog that I pray will find a home like I wish I could give him.
Cheers to a home in the near future because that kind of life ain't good even for us humans:angry7:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune RC, but hey look at the bright side of things. Cuss ya got laid off you should be able to get unemployment. I'd recommend ya take a month or 2 off, life off the government (if ya can) and have a look around. Who knows there maybe a niche market you can slide into and remember companies love contractors-consultants cuss they don't have to pay any benefits and 100% of the money paid to the contractor is a right off as a business expense. As these companies, both north and south of the border shed their permanent employees it opens the door wide for knowledgeable contractors.

Terry

Thats a tough break for sure but your very bright and you love mopars so you have everything in your favor, don't get too down. We are all going to be alright.

Man Joe that sucks. Sure sorry to hear it. I wish you the best in finding not only something quick but better than what you had.

Sorry about the job loss ram. I got laid off back in January, and turned 49 in Feb. I've been applying all over the west, as I feel I really need to get back to work, and in the greater Portland Area, everyone in my field (Electrical Wholesale) has been laying off, not hiring. I had a shot at a great job in Phoenix, but just heard Saturday that it was given to another candidate.

But..life goes on, and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude! I'm lucky in that my wife works and so far it's getting tight, but we are making it OK. Looks like I need to check with 'electrical utilities up in Seattle; my Dad retired from Puget Power!

Good luck in your search, hopefully you will find something soon!

Ken

RC, sorry to hear this news. Hopefully something will come your way soon. Hang in there and best wishes,

-
Back