Just got my own place...

-
What dealer here in Phoenix sold you that rig? You should have gotten some kind of 30 day warranty or something....:read2:

It was the Auto Corral in Mesa. And under AZ law, every used vehicle sold is covered by a mandatory 14 day/500 mile (whichever comes first) warranty. Bad part, I'd driven it Roughly 1700 miles by the time the engine grenaded itself. But really, I'm not faulting the dealer. This is a somewhat well-known problem with the 2nd gen 12V cummins engines, but it's one of those things that may or may not happen, and there's no real indication as to when/if it may happen without pulling apart the timing cover on the engine. As long as they can keep the pac-brake and banks power-pack on the engine after they rebuild it, I'll be pleased...

I hope this is the worst of your bad luck

I don't like taking the motorhome out of the barn since I'm usually on tight schedule and don't have time to wait on the tow truck and the repairs.

We have about 120,000 miles on the cummins 250HP it has been a good engine. The cable on the cruise has came off a few times other than that runs good.

You can get AAA for motorhomes also, might be worth the expense.

This is for anyone that has a Cummins 5.9 - that may have the "Killer Dowel Pin" issue. Go to www.turbodieselregister.com, pay the dues to join and search for "Killer Dowel Pin" or "KDP", there are relatively cheap prevents for this issue. Unfortunately for PharmBoy it's too late, but anyone else who has one of these motors in ANY vehcle from a Ram to an RV should check it out.

Update: turns out what went through the injector pump gears was not the legendary 'killer dowel pin'...it was a bolt...WTF?
If I was in your situation, I'd be raising mortal freaking hell with the place you bought the thing from. It wouldn't matter to me if I put 1700 miles on it or not.

If I was in your situation, I'd be raising mortal freaking hell with the place you bought the thing from. It wouldn't matter to me if I put 1700 miles on it or not.

Y'know, were this not a legitimate, totally unforeseen breakdown, I'd be incredibly angry. But, as this was just a matter of bad luck coupled with bad timing, I'm pretty okay with it.

did you at least call the place you bought it from and let them know, not in a crazy psycho screaming way, just to see what they say, a very reputable dealership may be able to work with you or get a discount on parts for the rebuild or something. I would try that.

Well, I'm finally clear of the motorhome. After getting the repair estimate, and realizing that it would put me upside down and require almost maxing out two credit cards or completely wiping my IRA and 401k, I decided to take a voluntary repossession. As it is, they've picked it up from the service place after I paid the diagnostic bill(ouch), and they're selling it for what they can. Yes, I'm gonna lose a significant hunk of cash from this, but, I'll get to keep my credit intact, which supposedly will matter in the long run...I just get the distinct feeling that I'm the only one who's not somehow coming out ahead in all this...

Wow...I'm sorry for your misfortune...but, maybe it was meant to be? ...

I bought a street bike once, brand new 2007 Honda CBR 600RR. Payed 12 grand. (which was way too much for that bike, but I just had to have it) I had it for 6 months, crashed it twice, fixed it twice, costing me a few thousand in parts, then 2 days after I fixed it the 2nd time, it got stolen...Insurance wouldn't pay me what the bike was worth...I lost 7 thousand dollars...After all the motorcycle crashes we hear about, I'm still alive today...Maybe it was meant to be??

Maybe it was meant to be...but losing $20K, the motorhome, my last vacation day of last year seems to be a bit much. On the upside, this won't push me into financial ruin...but that's about where the upside ends.

-
Back