Just got screwed out of a car!!

-
I can say our friendship is solid so there are no worries there. Most of those 9 yrs we would half way kid around about it, the las year or so is when it got serious. He did him and haw for a while like normal, then one day I asked him again after a real heart to heart conversation about it to see if he really was for real about selling it, and this was to see if I would be wasting anymore of my time and didn't want to keep pestering him actually, and he just said yes and I mean yes. I should've given him the money right then and there and went and got the car. It was supposed to be today a week later I was going to go get it and then this. Maybe it's my fault to some degree, I didn't act right away. However out of respect for him and his late father, I didn't want to be pushy and told him I'll come this weekend and pick it up, so that way he didn't feel like I just wanted to get the car asap and really didn't care about our friendship and treated it as a just another object.

A bit of insight, coming from a guy who actually got burned on a double sale of a white hat special '69 Charger, years ago;

Forget about the car.

I know you've known of the car for a long time, but you need to get your head out of it. Here's why;

You can spend tbe same money on another car as nice as that one, but suits your tastes in year, make, model, drivetrain, color and budget. You can, include your friend in the hobby and have someome to work on cars with, along with your daughter, you won't be rushed to buy something sub-par in any way, your daughter can have a stake in which make/ model/ year/ drivetrain to go with, per her liking and needs, along with yours and you will ultimately end up with something better for you, and your daughter.

Without coming off brash, I would like to suggest that you buy a commuter for your daughter in a year or so, when she is ready for her permit.

I restored the body, interor, brakes and engine on a '62 Studebaker Lark Cruiser, for my bosses daughter, intended for her to drive as her first car. While she was extremely excited about it and wanted to drive the Lark, her mom insisted on a car with more SRS junk, so they bought her a newer Chevy Aveo. So, far, she's 17, has 3 traffic tickets and has rearended two cars. Not enough to trip the airbags, but while I know that people learned on '60s Darts to drive in, there are a lot more people on the road, today, and with none of the schools offering driver's education, let alone as a requirement, it would be a wise choice not to put a novice driver behind the wheel of a surviving, classic car, or even a restored ine, until she has had practice avoiding a few accidents, along with the basics.

I'm not suggesting that she will be abad driver, by default, but I am stating that she will be involved with bad drivers, inherently, fir the reasons above, and I know that even when I took the wheel for the first time, I had to learn how to anticipate other people's shady driving habits, in traffic, doing **** like watching tire proximity to the lane, mire than looking for turn signals, from people not using them on a semi-regular basis, etc. Things they don't teach, that you either learn subconciously, or realize it and make note, the easy way, or the hard way.

Get a beater, let her drive it to school and work while you both dump money and time into something, to get it done right, without downing her transportation all the time, to perform ritual things, like front suspension rebuild, trans clutches, leak fixes, performance mods and other typical operations that require not driving the car for runs of time, when it's not all simply done at first, if you're driving your project.

I actually only like 2 Corvette's a 67 Stingray and 63 Split window and to own those I'd have to win the lottery, so I don't see that happening. I thought about the beater thing, we joked around and I told her I was going to get her an old Buick or an Olds, and make it something of a battering ram type by welding 2" box channel al the way around it...lol

dartbodies.com

depending on your budget you can get a rust free roller and even get '69 trim

then build it the way you and your daughter want

When you get a car, plan on keeping it for yourself in the long run.
Teenagers change their minds as they get older, and you don't know what she will like when she's in her early 20s. She might change her mind when she gets older and for that matter starts hanging around more with her friends and dating etc. I have seen this happen so many times it would make your head spin with father/daughter and father/son projects that get sold off due to lack of interest. Talk about disappointing!
And being disappointed is a lot different than being screwed.
Just my 2 cents........

When you get a car, plan on keeping it for yourself in the long run.
Teenagers change their minds as they get older, and you don't know what she will like when she's in her early 20s. She might change her mind when she gets older and for that matter starts hanging around more with her friends and dating etc. I have seen this happen so many times it would make your head spin with father/daughter and father/son projects that get sold off due to lack of interest. Talk about disappointing!
And being disappointed is a lot different than being screwed.
Just my 2 cents........
Very true,in 92,my daughter being raised around MOPARS wanted a duster,got her a 340 4spd 71 hemi orange,cool car,she drove it 3 days and told me she wanted something else,I was blown away,got her a dodge shadow,in the course of a yr and a half she wrecked it 3 times,changed oil pan twice,2 sets of tires and a front clip.she put 89k in 18 mths,the car was literally wore out in less than 2 yrs,glad it wasnt the duster...get a beater 1st and let her work her way to appreciating these cars...

Very true,in 92,my daughter being raised around MOPARS wanted a duster,got her a 340 4spd 71 hemi orange,cool car,she drove it 3 days and told me she wanted something else,I was blown away,got her a dodge shadow,in the course of a yr and a half she wrecked it 3 times,changed oil pan twice,2 sets of tires and a front clip.she put 89k in 9 mths,the car was literally wore out in less than 2 yrs,glad it wasnt the duster...get a beater 1st and let her work her way to appreciating these cars...

How did she put 89K miles on a car in 9 months? At 65 mph all the time that would take over 150 hours a month.

How did she put 89K miles on a car in 9 months? At 65 mph all the time that would take over 150 hours a month.
She had to drive 90 miles a day for school round trip,then come to find out her boyfriend was driving it all day while she was at school,then on weekends it never stopped rolling,her last 2yrs of school she lived with me,her mother lived 50 miles away,school was 45 mile drive one way,and it was 1 1/2yrs sorry was thinking 9 mth school yr but x2..plus the summers...

You can turn this into a positive and start to hunt for something else and include her in picking something out. Maybe go on a some leads and finding a car together. I think she would feel more involved and get more of a thrill of actually finding a car , going to pick it up load it on the trailer and bringing it home.. hopefully my 5 YO son wants to do that. My 13 YO son doesnt want to get his hands dirty! Lol. Good luck. Like said before there's a reason and you'll probably find something better.

Oh yeah my plan is to keep for myself ultimately. As I've told her don't look at it as it is now, rather look at what it can be. So for her to look at one in a raw state might spur her creative thinking process.

I like the dart body website, however my whole budget is about 7k, so I have to be carefull on what I get.

If it helps, you didn't get screwed. The guy changed his mind about selling "his" car. Screwed is when he offers it to you for one price and then sells it to someone else because he can get another $100.00 If you guys are this worked up about it, I would think long and hard before starting a resto project. There will be many more bumps in the road before you're through. You don't want to get half way through and lose motivation. Don't worry though, there are many cars out there waiting to be put back on the road!

I have two of my teenage daughters had to have vehicles in my shop now and she is on her third vehicle at 19...I don't mind as her first she wanted was a lifted loud dodge truck and now it's mine I love it her second is a mitsubuishi eclipse which is in my way in the shop,,teenage girls change there minds and im sure it wouldn't take much to get her excited on another build,,I had a deal going on a Studebaker and after painting a friends 62 lark for free (he paid for all materials and beverages) the deal was he was gonna let me purchase his uncles 53 commander from his aunt because he already had 7 Studebakers and didn't need his uncles who recently passed from cancer ,after spending a couple months on his lark paintjob when it came time for me to get the 53 he decided he wanted to take all the sheetmetal from his uncles car and switch it out with some rusty junk he had laying around,the 1/4 on studes un bolt also so I go to his house and he shows me this POS rusted car and says I thought I told you I was gonna keep that good sheetmetal for my resto on dads 53,he said that's why uncles car had been stored in my building for the last 8 years it don't make sense to get rid of all that perfect sheetmetal when I needed to replace the rusty stuff on dads car,and my reply was well I would have done the same thing but I wouldn't have led my buddy on all summer telling him that the car was his and then after he got done with a 8k dollar paint job( which is what it would have cost him )then switch out the sheetmetal like that was the deal to begin with,,he said I thought I told you that !!!!! boy was I hot so I went home and told my wife what had just happened and she said theres no sense losing a friendship over it find something else to put your motor in..i went on ebay that night and looked the next day I was headed to SC and picked up my 340 duster for 2000 bucks a father son project that had stalled and it had over 2000 dollars worth of new parts in boxes and the body was cherry I stole that car and was really happy that the Studebaker deal went south..moral is theres plenty of cars out there and if you look im sure you will find something that you and your daughter will have a great time bonding over her first car and will soon forget about your friends car altogether,,theres plenty of smoking deals out there

So how did you get screwed? What did you lose? What damages did you incur?

I've been screwed, I've regretted deals I made, and I've been disappointed over deals. BUT I have never been screwed by a deal that did not happen. Seems like an impossibility to me for a non-deal to screw me.

just keep an eye on FABO For Sale, eBay Motors and your local Craigslist. Something will turn up.

Good to hear this won't mess with your friendship, I hear about alot of these situations that do.

There's a difference between getting screwed and being disappointed. Usually they go hand in hand.
I've been both. Examples are some of my experiences in the mid '80s.

Getting screwed is when you pay for a car, agree to pick it up the next day, then you go to pick it up the next day only to find out the person sent it to the crush yard the evening before (right after you made the deal and paid them), got paid by them, and won't return your money. Then they move away.

Getting screwed is selling a good running engine to a friend and helping him install it, then he completely runs the crap out of it and runs it out of oil in 2 months and won't pay you a nickle for your time or parts. Always excuses about why he couldn't afford to pay up front or even a little at a time. Then he said the engine was no good to start with. That ended that friendship.

Disappointed is when you want a car, and finally talk the seller into selling it to you and when you go to pick it up, he has changed the engine for a ''better'' one. (He was trying to be nice, he said the engine was using a little oil and was worn out.) Then he gives the original engine that came out of your car to someone he works with that wants a rebuildable core. You offer to exchange the ''good'' engine to the seller's friend for your original matching numbers one. The co worker won't do it even when you are willing to do all of the work because he ''can't be bothered''. I checked the numbers on the block and it matched my V.I.N. while it was at the rebuilders. They had not started on it and wouldn't for 2 weeks.
That's what happened to me with the original engine in my '69 Super Bee, my original engine went into a '70 Challenger R/T SE. The ''good'' engine that was in my car was out of a '68 Road Runner so they both were H.P. 383s.

That's disappointment. That's life. That's cars.

Keep your head up - everything happens for a reason! I can see both sides of this - I can't blame him since it's sentimental to him and you feel let down because of your time and effort and wanting to build a car with your daughter.

I looked for quite a while before I found my duster. Looked at quite a few that seemed like good deals until I went to look at them! Ended up waiting about 5 months on mine for the guy to get down to a price I thought was reasonable!

It will happen when it's meant to happen - be patient!!!!!

-
Back