Just got some of my fireworks taken by police

-
Don't waste your time with this neighbor. As long as you aren't doing anything wrong, let him keep calling the cops. I would just ignore the guy and go about your business as usual. Sooner or later, the cops will get tired of coming out for these "non-calls".

As with the fireworks, if they are illegal in your town, he had a right to call the cops no matter how much of a d!ck move it may be.

Well, after reading through this thread, there is certainly no shortage of ideas and war stories of how not to handle this kind of situation.

Revhendo's comment (below) is one of the few realistic and more disarming methods, and I agree that your approach should be friendly, not adversarial.

I don't know if this will be popular with the pitchfork and torch comments, but have you tried just talking to the guy? Take an unpoisoned brown betty over and a couple of beers, have a set down and just talk. Ya never know, the guy could just have a few problems to work around.

Of course, only you know if your actually being a jerk off and instigating the situation, too. There is usually more than one side to these disagreements, and each of you most likely believe yourselves to be right. Most likely there are 3 sides, yours, his, and the truth.

I don't recommend doing anything stupid. Usually just talking to your neighbor will give you both a better understanding of each other.
Fact is, in most cases, both parties share equal blame in these circumstances.

Good luck. :thumbup:

The bottom line is if you were making too much noise and fire works are illegal then he has every right to file a complaint. The guy may be a tool but face it, he has a right to want peace and quiet. Turning your teens on him is not the mature thing to do and will only make the situation worse. No fire works, no extremely loud noises, no heavy metal bands, etc........... Keep it clean and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the concern about idling in my car, but I usually am in there for 2 -3 hrs max and crack the front windows and or sunroof. Then I try to come back to my bed and get more sleep. Between my sleep apnea and acid reflux, it is hard to get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at one time.

About someone saying I don't know who is calling, I do. I live on a dead end street with only nine houses. Our lots are 3/4 to 1 acre, so there is plenty of space between houses. I am the second house on the block, the lady next to me who lives on the corner is one of the neighbors who asked me to move in at the funeral when my dad died. She will not call the police on me. She lives alone and I help keep an eye on her house when she is not there. My dad helped catch the guys that robbed her 8 years ago by identifying their car that he saw in her driveway. Police caught them robbing another house a few weeks later. Her father moved in in 1973 and she took over the house when he died. - NOT HER

The house across the street from her on the other corner is an old couple that moved in back in 1963 and were good friends of my grandparents. They are now 84 and I also keep an eye on them and have had to call their son to help them when they have needed it in the past three years (I also snow blow their driveway for free in the winter when I can beat their snow service). The wife suffers from congestive heart failure and severe dimentia. I talk to her husband sometimes and he tells me stories about my grandpa who died when I was young (Christmas day 6AM when I was 7 y/o) and do not have many memories of. Their son appreciates what I have done for them and has told me he owes me some beers sometime. - NOT THEM EITHER.

The couple next to him have lived on this street since 1984. She was a school bus driver for our local grade school district and recently retired. She was friends with my dad and we say hi/wave in passing and occasionally talk when we meet at the street on garbage day while we put out our garbage. They live across from the a-hole neighbor (3rd lot on the block) because the old couple on the corner have a double lot with no house directly across from me- NOT THEM EITHER

Then next to her are the two "teardown" houses. There used to be small ranch houses there, and the privious owners tore them down and built HUGE three story houses in their place. I don't know them as well, but we wave in passing. They are too far away to hear a car idling in my driveway- NOT THEM

Then there is the guy at the end of the block who is a builder who lives there with his wife. He redid my kitchen when my dad lived here. I have used him to do a few jobs around my house a couple times. We are on good terms also. - NOT THEM

Then you come back down the block and have the fourth house on my side. They have a son my oldest son's age. My father used to watch out the window after the bus would drop him off when he was in grade school to make sure that he made it home safely. I know his parents and we talk when we pass and have a few minutes to talk. - NOT THEM.

Then you have the third house on the block which is next to me. That is where the problem lives. My grandpa had that house built new in the 50's. Then built the house that I'm living in and moved in here and moved in here. That house is a two story multi split level (has a split level basement also). He sold the house to the last people that lived there and the wife just passed away two years ago at the age of 94. They lived there since 1962. I was the first to welcome "the problem" to the neighborhood when he moved in last year. I let him borrow a picture of the street in front of his house from the fifties when there used to be a tree in middle of the street and you had to drive around it. It was removed and paved over in the sixties. I don't know if he is upset with something me or my oldest son (or his friends) have done. I used to say hi to him whenever I saw him out in the yard, but for the past 3-4 months he won't initiate it, and now does not say hi back. And he is the only other one close enough to be able to be bothered by noise from my house. - Deductive reasoning says he has to be the one that is the problem.

I'm trying to not retailate and start a pissing match with him. However, tonight when I came home from running errands, he was outside and my oldest son and a few friends were playing basketball on my front porch. I said to them not to fart or the neighbor may think it's fireworks and call the cops again loud enough so he could hear it. This was to let him know that I know he is the one calling.

I'm going to take your advice and just lay low for a while and hope the cops stop coming when he calls. If he keeps up, my oldest son and I are putting together a 360 for his Valiant. When we get it in and running, I will have him start it up with open exhaust and rev it up around 9:30 PM and make sure he shuts it down by 10 PM. If he calls on that, I will register a complaint about the Harley that he rebuilt and sometimes takes to work at 7:30 in the morning and has very loud exhaust. I haven't complained about the noise from his motorcycle as with us building cars, you just don't complain about the neighbor's "toys" when yours are capable of making loud noise once in a while also...

Best thing is to mind your manners and live your life within the confines of the law. That said, if he continues to call, the cops will address the issue with him and explain to him that they can't continue to come out there for frivolous complaints.

I guess I'm very blessed with my neighbors as they could care less what I do and I return the favor. I've done burnouts in front of my house, fireworks in the backyard, bonfires with music etc. I do respect quiet time later at night but other than that it's a hoopla. I even go out and clean up the red squirrels once in a while and the only thing the neighbors ask of me is don't shoot my house.

There will always be a fly in the ointment, that's just the way it is. Just do your thing legally and there isn't much that can be done by him, other than b*t*h.

I've always had good luck with a concoction of dog poop mixed with milk and eggs put in a spray bottle, left out in the sun for three days, shaken well and when applied to the ventilation intake vents of a vehicle seems to leave a smell that will forever remind someone of the gift that keeps on giving.

I have an annoying neighbor who rides his lawn mower up and down the street, pulls into the drive way and snoops around. I just ignore him and park my Big ole GMC at the end of the Driveway. Bottom line just Ignore him, and let the cops get pissed at him. Easiest thing to do is ignore morons. since I have a problem with dumb people lol.

My son is a police officer and he suggested this.

Try stopping a local police officer and ask what to do. This will keep you legal and it will also start the police thinking about future calls and how you wanted to stay within the law. This will put you in a good light and the neighbor at a disadvantage. Laws very from area to area so knowing your laws is very important.

Go up to his house politely and tell him, look motherf$^ker, I know it is your stupid *** calling the cops, if you want to be a *****, I'll live by the law to it's FULLEST extent, which means I will rev my open header car until exactly 10pm and start it again at zero dark thirty. Two can play games! Then tell him thanks for playing pu$$y, your about to get f&*ked if you don't stop your $hit! I am a big man. I am 6'3" and weigh 295 with 12% body fat. I have had run ins with three of my neighbors. Two of them I have called out and all of them now leave me alone. I am referred to as the neighborhood hillbilly! Well my family is from south eastern Tennessee, lol. Don't give him an inch to take. And for the cats, they kill birds just for fun and $hit and pi$$ everywhere and it stinks! So buy a pellet gun and some antifreeze and have some fun with the cats.

Some great revenge tips! LOL! I will keep them in my "bag-o-tricks" in case I need them.

I'm going to try to go with the "Keep your nose clean and just let him keep calling and keep the police on my side..."

After my comment to "the boys" the other day (done intentionally loud enough so he heard it), he won't look my way when he is out now. He knows that I know it is him calling the police. I spent a couple hours in the louder car (Pontiac Grand Prix GTP) last night and he didn't call the cops, when he has called them before when I was in that car in the same exact position in my driveway. I'll see how things work out if we run into each other putting the garbage out tomorrow morning.

The cops are now on my side as I have explained to them that I do not want to get into a "cop calling" game with him and put them in the middle like a ping-pong ball. They say that I have a right to call them for legitimate complaints (cats etc.), but I feel they have better things to do than get in the middle of a petty fight. I think that they respect that I am trying to handle this like an adult. He explained that he did not want to take my fireworks away, but had to since there was a complaint. I shook his hand and told him that it was my contribution to the "Policeman's ball" this year, when I handed him the few pieces we had outside.

I have been experimenting with different cars in different positions in my driveway (I can fit almost 15 cars in my front driveway alone), and seeing which ones do not bother him (where he doesn't call). Some cars are more comfortable than others, and unfortunately the GTP is the most comfortable, which is slightly louder than the others.

Go up to his house politely and tell him, look motherf$^ker...QUOTE]

LOL! I like the go up politely and then look motherf$^ker... Class...

I'm not as big as you, but I do have a friend that is 6' 7" that I have known since I was four...

Like I said, I am going to sit back and observe for a while. And hope things will settle down.

I had a neighbor like that once, so I called the local utility company the day before Thanksgiving, told them I was him and gave them his address and cussed them out telling them that they sucked and I didn't want thier F-ing electricity anymore.
Guess what happened?
Took him almost a week to get his power back on plus the reconnect fee, and the added enjoyment of him and his out of town company doing Thanksgiving without electricity.

After it was all over I said "Go ahead and act like an ***, because you will never be able to anticipate how much I can make your life suck"

Never had a problem with him again. :snakeman:

I wish I could think of stuff like that on my own, that is absolutely awesome in every way. Words cannot express how awesome it is. I have a jerk-off neighbor too,,,,,,if I was able to pull off the above payback, I would prolly laugh myself to sleep every night for a week.

I wish I could think of stuff like that on my own, that is absolutely awesome in every way. Words cannot express how awesome it is. I have a jerk-off neighbor too,,,,,,if I was able to pull off the above payback, I would prolly laugh myself to sleep every night for a week.

That can also be accomplished without getting the utility company in the middle if you are a do it yourselfer... Careful planning and using a holiday weekend to your advantage so it can't be hooked up until the following week at the earliest so all of their food in the fridge and any freezer would have spoiled by the time it is hooked back up... PM me your phone number if you need help figuring it out for your specific application and I can fill you in.

But I will stop there as you have to watch what you post over the internet as it can be traced back to you and used as evidence later...

But as stated earlier, I'm trying not to start a war with him and look the other way/walk away like a man...

I see you posting you are observing but at the same time you sit in the louder car at night and make comments in earshot. Which is it?.

Very true.....instead of being the squeaky wheel, how about trying to kill him with kindness??

Thats what I say.....way easier to ask him to come over for a beer. When he declines say OK then ask him again teh next time you see him.

Killing him with kindness will show him your not a bad guy and if he has any sense of self worth he will accept. You can find out a lot about a person over a beer or two.

He may be lonely and jealous of you and your sons.

Keep turning the other cheek and know you are the bigger man for doing so.

Good luck.

Mop

Are fire works even legal in your region? I know they aren't over in my part of the United States. If they are illegal then just put the laser light show away, stop being obnoxious with the engines, and see if the guy backs off. If not then you file a complaint with the local sheriff/PD and see what happens.

I see you posting you are observing but at the same time you sit in the louder car at night and make comments in earshot. Which is it?.

It is a slightly louder car as it is a GTP with a supercharged v-6. The seats are the most comfortable of all of my cars and it has automatic temperature control where I can just set the temperature and not have to keep adjusting it like a manual system until I find the right settings to be comfortable. Even the cops say that it is not too loud.

And since I did make that one comment, he has not called the police agian. I have been in the GTP the last two nights for a couple of hours, in the first spot in front of my garage, where he has called before, and he hasn't called since. So now that he knows that I know he is calling the police on me, it seems to have stopped. If I did not say anything, he would still be calling. As long as he stops calling, I will not say anything else.

If he starts calling again, I will start marking the dates and times on my calendar and after building up some history, I may speak to a lawyer about filing harassment charges against him. I hope that I do not have to follow through with this, but will if he keeps pushing me. I am not going to antagonize him, just keep doing what I have been doing, that the police say I have a right to do on my own property.

He did leave for work this morning on the loud Harley at 7:08 AM. But will not call the police to complain as when I start getting some of my old cars running again, I will be starting them and breaking in the cams with open exhaust until we get them street ready and able to go to the exhaust shop to complete the exhaust after a fresh rebuild. i will make sure that when we do have to run them for break in with open exhaust, that it is between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM out of respect for ALL OF MY NEIGHBORS. We have been doing this here since 84 and none of the neighbors have complained, all of which still live here. The only new variable is the "new guy".

Thanks for the criticism daredevil. I don't think that the one comment that I made about him that was directed at my son and his friends while playing basketball on my front porch was stepping out of line. It seems to have stopped the phone calls and visits from the police. It was hard to get to sleep wondering if I was going to be woke up with a knock on my driver's window and a flashlight shining in my face! That is not pleasant.

Very true.....instead of being the squeaky wheel, how about trying to kill him with kindness??

I did try the killing with kindness and made sure to say hello whenever I saw him out in his yard. He wouldn't answer me back with a hello or hi, and still kept calling the police.

Are fire works even legal in your region? I know they aren't over in my part of the United States. If they are illegal then just put the laser light show away, stop being obnoxious with the engines, and see if the guy backs off. If not then you file a complaint with the local sheriff/PD and see what happens.

I think you have the wrong impression. Yes, the fireworks are not legal here. But this was the fourth of July. The only day that we did do it was on the fourth, it is not an everyday thing like you are insinuating. Even the police said that they did not want to take my fireworks and that they had to because they got the call. They are willing to turn the other cheek and let people have a little fun on the fourth. Even the police think that this guy is being rediculous. We have been lighting fireworks on the fourth for over 25 years. The other neighbors like to watch our display. This is the first year the police showed up.

How am I being obnoxious with the engines? I start it up and let it idle so I don't wear the battery down listening to the radio on low to drownd out the background noise. The GTP has a SLIGHTLY LOUDER EXHAUST THAN STOCK as it has over 190, 000 miles and the exhaust has been replaced. By no means is it a Flowmaster system or even close. It is an aftermarked replacement for the original exhaust that was on the car when I bought it. How is letting an engine idle being obnoxious? Please explain to me how starting an engine and letting it idle to keep the air running and charging the battery while I listen to the radio on low (two clicks above the minimum volume) is being obnoxious. If I wanted to be obnoxious, I would start my son's 04 GTO with the electric cut outs on the exhaust and run the open exhaust. But I don't.

-
Back