Just got the new 1965 Valiant Convertable Home

-

440brew

Reaction score
I found this little Valiant for sale locally and it turns out the owner and my dad traded it for an 89 Shelby Dakota! Pretty good deal I think!

Does anyone know the production nubmers on the 65 convertable? This one is a slat 6 with a hurst 4 speed! We were told orginally red with red interior and a tan top. Now it is white with red interior and a black top. It runs great and all electrical works good. There is a little rust and some bubbling paint but no big deal.

How can I tell what size slant 6 this is? 175? 225? Also it has a cracked exhaust manifold and the local junkyard has many, will they all work? What should I look for?

Enjoy! Thanks!

100_2485.jpg

100_2486.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2488.jpg

100_2489.jpg

From what I was able to find out about production numbers in 65 was that no specific records were kept....the number will tell you how many Valiants were made in total, but won't tell you how many were convert, /6, V8, auto, stick...etc...not sure right now where I found the numbers, I'll have to poke around again and see if I can find it.

Sweet ride!!!!

Real nice ride 440brew.
Welcome to this great site.
And a four speed /6!! to cool.:cheers:
There is a water line that comes of the water pump and straight
up to the head, If it is about 1 1/4'' long it is the great 170.
If it looks like it is at least 2'' long it will be a 225 /6.
Is it a factory motor car, Your spark plugs will look like the early /6

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20003.jpg

good luck finding a manifold that isn't cracked, that was a common problem on the slant's. they are all the same, will all bold right up.

Nice valiant convertible. Slant 6 & 4 speed are definately rare let alone in a vert. Production numbers were broke down between the valiant 100 , 200 & signet but not engine & trans type. From what I could find there was no 100 vert but 2386 valiant 200 convertibles made in 65 & 2578 signets. Nice ride & she is a rare one.

Oldschoolcuda

Sweet car!! I love early A converts!! Congrats on a good find! Four spd to boot wow!!

Hey, I got one those,'cept mine's a Canadian model...same body style, but uses US Dart dash. Mine's factory slant and 4 speed too/ Love the Hurst shifter!!

Nice car!!

Real nice ride 440brew.
Welcome to this great site.
And a four speed /6!! to cool.:cheers:
There is a water line that comes of the water pump and straight
up to the head, If it is about 1 1/4'' long it is the great 170.
If it looks like it is at least 2'' long it will be a 225 /6.
Is it a factory motor car, Your spark plugs will look like the early /6

memike, what do you mean by "factory motor car"?

We were told orginally red with red interior and a tan top. Now it is white with red interior and a black top.

If you look on your fender tag it will give the codes for the exterior color under "PAINT" and interior type and color under "TRM". If yours was red/red, paint would be PP1 for paint and since it is a 200 and has a bench seat, interior should be coded H4R (2 tone red all vinyl. Tan tops were not available - only white and black with all colors or in certain cases a blue top. All this info is from my 65 Plymouth Color and Interior data book. Hope this helps determine what it came with.

If you look on your fender tag it will give the codes for the exterior color under "PAINT" and interior type and color under "TRM". If yours was red/red, paint would be PP1 for paint and since it is a 200 and has a bench seat, interior should be coded H4R (2 tone red all vinyl. Tan tops were not available - only white and black with all colors or in certain cases a blue top. All this info is from my 65 Plymouth Color and Interior data book. Hope this helps determine what it came with.

thanks for the info dartman, but unfortunately it does not have a fender tag...

-
Back