Just had to have it! 70 Dart Daily Driver

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
I came across this on craigslist the other day and was really intrigued by the originality of the car. This is a bare bones 70 dart more doors that has just over 71k original miles. 318 two barrel that runs like a champ, and a three on the tree. Also has an 8.75 under it. It looks like the only option this car has is air conditioning lol. Manual steering and manual drum brakes all around. The car runs and drives pretty decent, but needs a set of plug wires and maybe a little tweaking on the carb.

After digging thru the glove box I found all of the original sales documents of when the car was purchased new at Chandler Dodge, including the salesmans business card still paperclipped to some letters from the dealer. Even found the original literature that would have been hanging from the rearview mirror, and a plastic slip that would have been on the sunvisor that explains how to operate the three on the tree! I didnt know to get the column to lock the shifter had to be placed in the reverse position lol. The car was originally purchased by a moving and storage company, and looks like it was used as a salesmans car.

Over all, the car is in survivor condition, and I intend to keep it that way. Do a little clean up and probably try and buff some off the oxidation off the paint. Here is some car **** for you guys!

Attachments

• Dart 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 532
  • Dart 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 533
  • Dart 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 517
  • Dart 4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 523
  • Dart 5.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 509
  • Dart 6.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 516
  • Dart 7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 519
  • Dart 8.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 544
a very sharp/sweet ride :cheers: Congratulations :glasses7:
I can't park my 66 in reverse :glasses7: the reverse lights stay on..
A/C car and a V8 !! with the good strong rear end wow..
you are living right :cheers: I bet it moves good :burnout:

I came across this on craigslist the other day and was really intrigued by the originality of the car. This is a bare bones 70 dart more doors that has just over 71k original miles. 318 two barrel that runs like a champ, and a three on the tree. Also has an 8.75 under it. It looks like the only option this car has is air conditioning lol. Manual steering and manual drum brakes all around. The car runs and drives pretty decent, but needs a set of plug wires and maybe a little tweaking on the carb.

After digging thru the glove box I found all of the original sales documents of when the car was purchased new at Chandler Dodge, including the salesmans business card still paperclipped to some letters from the dealer. Even found the original literature that would have been hanging from the rearview mirror, and a plastic slip that would have been on the sunvisor that explains how to operate the three on the tree! I didnt know to get the column to lock the shifter had to be placed in the reverse position lol. The car was originally purchased by a moving and storage company, and looks like it was used as a salesmans car.

Over all, the car is in survivor condition, and I intend to keep it that way. Do a little clean up and probably try and buff some off the oxidation off the paint. Here is some car **** for you guys!

Nice find. I have found a few 8 3/4s over the years in 4 door cars.

Thanks guys. I am really diggin the car. I do have a 73 dart 4 door that I picked up for my dad. He wanted a good running 318 and trans to put in his 26 Chrysler sedan, and I picked the car up cheap. That car has power disc brakes on it, so I am thinking I will swap those on to the 70. I am not a big fan of manual drums lol.

congrats on the car...

off topic. did you graft 70 RR tails into the scamp in front of it? that is BADASS

Yes sir. It's actually my 71 swinger. That car has received a few custom touches. The tail lights are one of my favorites. And thanks!

do you have a thread on that car? I love custom work and would love to check out your wizardry

A stripper, BUT with V8, a/c, and 8 3/4.

Very cool.

I might be tempted to put a floor shifter in it, though.

do you have a thread on that car? I love custom work and would love to check out your wizardry
I never really put together a build thread, as I didn't find this fine forum until after it was almost done. Here is a link to the latest big mod I made to the car.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=188547&highlight=Denver
Ive done the tail lights, installed cuda/challenger door handles, 2010 challenger hood skin, and I shaved the antenna. It's almost done lol.
A stripper, BUT with V8, a/c, and 8 3/4.

Very cool.

I might be tempted to put a floor shifter in it, though.
That thought has crossed my mind a few times. If I come across a good deal on a column and floor shifter I would probably do it. It is kinda neat driving a v8 with the column shift.

Looks good! Glad it didn't just get parted out like every other clean running 4 door.

It's defanetly not getting parted out! Over the weekend I pulled the carb off and went thru it. Found a little bit of crusty junk in the float bowl, and a dried up accelerator pump. I rebuilt it and now it runs so damn good! I replaced the plug wires too. I took the car out with my dad and we cruised it around for a while. It rides really nice and you can't even hear the thing running. Couple of things that I do need to address are replacing the strut rod bushings and do some work on the shifter. To get the trans in first gear you have to put it in reverse first and then first gear. Not sure exactly what's going on with that. Anybody messed around with a three on the tree and have any insight on my issue?

To get the trans in first gear you have to put it in reverse first and then first gear. Not sure exactly what's going on with that. Anybody messed around with a three on the tree and have any insight on my issue?

Sounds like the syncro's in first, or a dragging clutch. Putting it in reverse stops the gears from turning so you can get it in first, so either the cluster gears are spinning to fast or the syncros aren't slowing it down so it can get into gear.

Any chance you could update your Denver thread with some more pictures? Love to see an engine and interior shot.

Sounds like the syncro's in first, or a dragging clutch. Putting it in reverse stops the gears from turning so you can get it in first, so either the cluster gears are spinning to fast or the syncros aren't slowing it down so it can get into gear.

Any chance you could update your Denver thread with some more pictures? Love to see an engine and interior shot.

I thought the same thing. But even when the engine isn't running you have to do the same thing to get it in to first gear. When my buddy Tim is in the car and operating the shifter and I watch the column from the engine compartment, I can see the two plates kinda lean towards eachother. Then when you put it in reverse you can see the two plates stand back up straight and it goes in to first. I think whatever piece that sits between the two plates on the column is worn out and causing it to bind up. Tim and I have a 64 valiant that's a three on the tree and they look very similar. But that column is very tight, and those plates don't have any slop in them at all.

Sweet, i'd love to have that for a driver!! Did you buff it out yet?

-
Back