Just installed new PST 1.03 bars

-
My bars sure didn't settle any that I noticed, but still you don't want to be realigning it again anyway do you?
If you pay for alignments, just set the height about where it used to be and go trounce on it a little (bumps and dips for 10 min) and then get it realigned
If mine settled at all it had to be in the first 5 min. (but I couldn't see any difference)
Been a month now and they seem to be in exactly the same place.

The bump stop clearances could be almost anything down there.
Whole car
front framerails
K member
Control arm
Bumpstop wear

The only way I think the short travel of the adjuster will matter much is that if you were to go over a hump fast enough where the wheels would come off the ground.
It could cause the adjuster arm to come away from the adjuster bolt a little, but the blocks the adjuster bolts go through settle into thier saddle pretty well and don't move much.
I would like to think the bolt would still be in the right place when it came back down again. :D

I have had mine for a while now with little to no settling. I really like them, much better than my 50 plus year old stockers.

Ok, good to know. Thank you guys! I dont plan on doing any dukes of hazzard type jumps so I should be good. Did you guys take final ride height measurements? If so Im curious where yours are set. I may play around with it looking at different things first.

Ok, good to know. Thank you guys! I dont plan on doing any dukes of hazzard type jumps so I should be good. Did you guys take final ride height measurements? If so Im curious where yours are set. I may play around with it looking at different things first.

I don't go by measurements, I go by preffered ground clearance and look that I want. (I like about 1.5 to 2 inch over stock and the rear either level or just a touch higher)
Also our streets suck because of all kinds of waves and bumps in them.
I favor the drivers side a little in lift to help compensate for and me being in it. (only 200 lbs but still)
I'm running poly strut rod and control arm bushings bushings so I set my toe in right at 1/8 inch
(poly bushings don't compress as much so the toe can be less than normal)
Same front tires for two years of driving it every day and they are wearing flat and even as well as the car goes nice and straight if I let go of the wheel, so I must be doing something right, eh? Or at least close enough.

A rough guess on height would be about 5 inches to the K frame and 4 or so to the lowest header tube.

I don't go by measurements, I go by preffered ground clearance and look that I want. (I like about 1.5 to 2 inch over stock and the rear either level or just a touch higher)
Also our streets suck because of all kinds of waves and bumps in them.
I favor the drivers side a little in lift to help compensate for and me being in it. (only 200 lbs but still)
I'm running poly strut rod and control arm bushings bushings so I set my toe in right at 1/8 inch
(poly bushings don't compress as much so the toe can be less than normal)
Same front tires for two years of driving it every day and they are wearing flat and even as well as the car goes nice and straight if I let go of the wheel, so I must be doing something right, eh? Or at least close enough.

A rough guess on height would be about 5 inches to the K frame and 4 or so to the lowest header tube.

Ok, thanks again Greg, at least it gives me some insight.

At the factory that made the Dakota trucks (1st gen with the torsion bars), they had a station just off of the final line where they "jounced" the front suspension and then set the ride height. You have to bounce them a bit for them to set in before setting ride height.

Always set ride height first as it will affect alignment if done after.

The factory service manual recommends measuring ride height from two places on each side. One on the bottom of the lower control arm, ant the other on the bottom of where the k-frame and lower control arm intersect. See picture below:

View attachment Ride Height B2.jpg

Here's the tips from the service manual to check before you do your height adjustment:

View attachment Ride Height 2 B3.jpg

You could always try measuring to the bottom of the front bumper and pick a similar spot to measure on each side...

Yep, did that as well as rolled it back and forth. These new bars are definitely a improvement over the stock. I only worry about the adjuster not threading in to far, but if I do the car sits way to high for my liking.

Although I will be playing with it tomorrow after its been sitting with weight on it over night.

Yep, did that as well as rolled it back and forth. These new bars are definitely a improvement over the stock. I only worry about the adjuster not threading in to far, but if I do the car sits way to high for my liking.

Although I will be playing with it tomorrow after its been sitting with weight on it over night.

Maybe with 6 or 8 sandbags on the hood. :)

-
Back