Just need to vent about US Bank.

-
This old thread is № 1.

№ 2:

About 25 years ago I was moving away from the suburbs of Denver. Over many years of living there, I had built up a lot of loose change. I gathered it all up and it big-filled a gallon-size freezer bag.

I took the bag of change and a few to my bank, a local one called 1stBank (this was back when those still existed; I think they got bought out by Wells-Fargo or one of the other big scummy ones). They didn't have an automatic change sorter; all they could offer was those paper coin sleeves and a chair where I could sit and hand-roll all those coins. Don't think so. Their branch across town had a sorter, but it was approaching rush hour, so driving there and back would have been a multiple-hours-in-traffic pain.

There was a Wells Fargo bank across the street that had previously been another local bank called Columbia Savings. My bank called the Wells Fargo for me and asked if they had a change sorter: yes, for customers only.

Even back then, before the last two decades' worth of revelations about just how slimy Wells Fargo is, there were good reasons why I wasn't interested in being a WF customer.

'Tis the season: remember that scene where the Grinch gets this big ѕhіt-eatin' grin across his face? Yeah, I got an idea.

I deposited my checks at 1stBank less a $100 bill, which I shoved in my pocket. Went across to Wells Fargo, put my bag of change on the front desk, and asked for it to be converted to bills.

The lady goes, "Do you have an account here? The change sorter is only for Wells Fargo account holders."

Sez me: "I would like to open an account", and those were apparently the magic words; I was brought to the desk of the account manager, who went over the account options with me. I like accounts that don't have service fees or minimum balances, so I chose their "Incredible Free Checking" or whatever, which required only that the account be opened with $100.

Well! Habbout that; I just happened to have a $100 bill right here!

The account manager ran two soft credit checks and some other kind of a background check. All three came back clear, and all three must've cost the bank some measure of money. She spent a good 15 minutes doing the setup on her computer, filling forms, and then printing up 20 starter checks. I begged off on ordering real checks because I was moving and didn't yet know my new address.

So 25 minutes later, I had a brand-new Incredible Free Checking account and 20 specially-printed starter checks. I was still well ahead on time spent, compared to sitting in a traffic jam.

I thanked Ms. Manager, got up from her desk and went over to the teller line, put up my bag of change, and forty seconds later got $71 worth of $2 bills (I asked for them specifically), a new dollar coin, 77¢, and a few foreign coins. Will there be anything else? Yes, thanks, I'd like to withdraw $100—just a jundred-dollar bill will be fine, thanks—from my Incredible Free Checking account.

Then back over to the account manager's desk and I asked her to please close my account. She said "But you just opened it!" I said "Yep, and now I'd like to close it, please." She did a bunch of key punching and digging forms out of trays (every minute spent on me was costing WF money), then said "Okay, I've closed it, but may I know why?"

I said "I became a customer nine minutes ago because of your customers-only rule for the change sorter. My time as a customer cost you whatever-all administrative time and effort it took to open the account, and whatever fees you were charged for those background checks on me, and the material and operating costs to print up the starter checks, and the time and effort it took you to close my account. And it also cost you any possibility of my ever becoming a Wells Fargo customer for more than the nine minutes."

She didn't seem to know what to say. I went back across the street to 1stBank and deposited my $172.77, where the tellers got a real hoot out of my story.

Wells-Fargo sent me a statement on that account ("Initial balance: $100. Withdrawals total: $100", blah blah blah, blah blah, two pages of +$100, -$100, +$100, -$100), which drove their costs even higher. Maybe I should have withdrawn $99.99 from this no- minimum-balance account and just walked away from it, and see how long they spend money to generate monthly statements for $0.01.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm going to show this one to my wife, the ex-WF employee!

This old thread is № 1.

№ 2:

About 25 years ago I was moving away from the suburbs of Denver. Over many years of living there, I had built up a lot of loose change. I gathered it all up and it big-filled a gallon-size freezer bag.

I took the bag of change and a few to my bank, a local one called 1stBank (this was back when those still existed; I think they got bought out by Wells-Fargo or one of the other big scummy ones). They didn't have an automatic change sorter; all they could offer was those paper coin sleeves and a chair where I could sit and hand-roll all those coins. Don't think so. Their branch across town had a sorter, but it was approaching rush hour, so driving there and back would have been a multiple-hours-in-traffic pain.

There was a Wells Fargo bank across the street that had previously been another local bank called Columbia Savings. My bank called the Wells Fargo for me and asked if they had a change sorter: yes, for customers only.

Even back then, before the last two decades' worth of revelations about just how slimy Wells Fargo is, there were good reasons why I wasn't interested in being a WF customer.

'Tis the season: remember that scene where the Grinch gets this big ѕhіt-eatin' grin across his face? Yeah, I got an idea.

I deposited my checks at 1stBank less a $100 bill, which I shoved in my pocket. Went across to Wells Fargo, put my bag of change on the front desk, and asked for it to be converted to bills.

The lady goes, "Do you have an account here? The change sorter is only for Wells Fargo account holders."

Sez me: "I would like to open an account", and those were apparently the magic words; I was brought to the desk of the account manager, who went over the account options with me. I like accounts that don't have service fees or minimum balances, so I chose their "Incredible Free Checking" or whatever, which required only that the account be opened with $100.

Well! Habbout that; I just happened to have a $100 bill right here!

The account manager ran two soft credit checks and some other kind of a background check. All three came back clear, and all three must've cost the bank some measure of money. She spent a good 15 minutes doing the setup on her computer, filling forms, and then printing up 20 starter checks. I begged off on ordering real checks because I was moving and didn't yet know my new address.

So 25 minutes later, I had a brand-new Incredible Free Checking account and 20 specially-printed starter checks. I was still well ahead on time spent, compared to sitting in a traffic jam.

I thanked Ms. Manager, got up from her desk and went over to the teller line, put up my bag of change, and forty seconds later got $71 worth of $2 bills (I asked for them specifically), a new dollar coin, 77¢, and a few foreign coins. Will there be anything else? Yes, thanks, I'd like to withdraw $100—just a jundred-dollar bill will be fine, thanks—from my Incredible Free Checking account.

Then back over to the account manager's desk and I asked her to please close my account. She said "But you just opened it!" I said "Yep, and now I'd like to close it, please." She did a bunch of key punching and digging forms out of trays (every minute spent on me was costing WF money), then said "Okay, I've closed it, but may I know why?"

I said "I became a customer nine minutes ago because of your customers-only rule for the change sorter. My time as a customer cost you whatever-all administrative time and effort it took to open the account, and whatever fees you were charged for those background checks on me, and the material and operating costs to print up the starter checks, and the time and effort it took you to close my account. And it also cost you any possibility of my ever becoming a Wells Fargo customer for more than the nine minutes."

She didn't seem to know what to say. I went back across the street to 1stBank and deposited my $172.77, where the tellers got a real hoot out of my story.

Wells-Fargo sent me a statement on that account ("Initial balance: $100. Withdrawals total: $100", blah blah blah, blah blah, two pages of +$100, -$100, +$100, -$100), which drove their costs even higher. Maybe I should have withdrawn $99.99 from this no- minimum-balance account and just walked away from it, and see how long they spend money to generate monthly statements for $0.01.
That's hilarious!

Depending on your bank, you may be able to pay as low as a penny lol. My bank offers unlimited transactions, so it "costs" me nothing in bank fees, other than the actual payment amount.
If I could select "daily" and 1 penny I would lol.
Hah! I hope this screws up their books as much as it can. I might choose something odd like 7¢ to make the amount wind up uneven.

My Wife was so pissed off with Scotia Bank she pulled all her GIC's and accounts over 9 years ago. When they cleared her one GIC account they left a $2.50 cash amount in the fund. SO over 84 times now they've printed and mailed her a monthly statement showing the $2.50 and she has no plans to stop them doing so at their expense.

My Wife was so pissed off with Scotia Bank she pulled all her GIC's and accounts over 9 years ago. When they cleared her one GIC account they left a $2.50 cash amount in the fund. SO over 84 times now they've printed and mailed her a monthly statement showing the $2.50 and she has no plans to stop them doing so at their expense.
:rofl::rofl:

I got a free line of credit account just for emergencies, but I never used it. Around 2008, the bank sent a notice that they would pay me to close it, $500 if I came down to their bank and close it in person. I didn’t go. About 4 months later, I got a letter saying they would pay me $1,000 to close it by filing out a form. So I filled out a form. I next got a letter saying there was a problem closing it and to visit my local branch. So I went town there, closed it and got a $500 check for closing it at the branch. Then I got a $1,000 check in the mail shortly after that for closing the account. So I got paid $1,500 to close a free account that I never used. Ha, ha, ha!:thumbsup::rofl:

Big city banks SUCK! 30 some years ago I went to my Credit Union through work and borrowed some money, they were dicks also. I borrowed the money from my small town bank, paid the credit union off, leaving 100.00 in the account. Every 6 months they would send me my statement, showing me that I had earned a few cents. I left it in there for the 30 years. A while back I figured I would get the 100 bucks, went through the drive-thru and told the girl-this is what happens when you piss someone off. She just stood there and gave me a dirty look.

Uff-dah! (I just had to say that!)

I wish it was that fast and easy here! With a couple exceptions, if you try to do this anywhere in the Metro (and/or suburban) area, best count on at least an hour wait, sometimes even with an appointment. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Brooklyn Center!)

I suppose I could have gone "further out" and gone to a County office somewhere, but the convenience of just making a few clicks...

Live an' learn, I guess.
Oh yeah, last trip to a Cali dmv I spent an hour and a half in the line OUTSIDE the front door, waiting to get checked in. I think it was three hours total. Make's a AAA card a necessity for dmv service. Not a necessity where I am in Arizona. And all of my stuff here is registered for five years at a time, for less than one year in california. Smog check? HA! Nonexistent.

Last edited:
BOA con’d me into a mortgage that could be refinanced for free if the average rate fell. Once a year if it fell lower still. That was late 2007, I think the sub-prime fiasco triggered that market landslide in March that following year. They tried pretty hard to never honor our agreement & I complained to the BBB. They let me do it once but I had to sign something to let them outta their deal. I found that paying the house off also got me lower interest rates. I’ve had two homes since and I’ve never paid to borrow any money from any of them again.

“phuquem” all!

Three of my vehicles have their license tabs due in January, so naturally, being the Good and Happy Taxpayer that I am, I dutifully went online and paid for them electronically about a month ago.

New stickers arrived about two weeks ago, so I was good to go, right?

WRONG!

On Saturday I received two nasty letters from the MN Department of Public Safety stating that my bank (US Bank) had denied the charges, and the State is going to "suspend the registration" on two of the three vehicles unless I jump through all sort of hoops.

So I called the bank just now from work....and waded through their inane automated system only so I could be put on hold for almost 15 minutes...

Long story short: Apparently their system flagged the second and third payments as "potentially inaccurate", so they denied the payments to the State!

Who is now on my ***....

Did US Bank tell me they were going to do this? No!

Did someone from US Bank reach out to me on this? No!

Did they do this without my knowledge? Yes!

This isn't the first time they've done this **** to me, so....

Am I going to open an account somewhere else and take my $65k+ balance in Checking & Savings with me? Hell, Yes!

(Phuque 'em)
This is why I renew both my license plates and driver's license in person, it doesn't take long especially if you do it at the beginning of the month. It's hazzle free. Sorry guys about commenting on this matter but I always hear horror stories about things being done on line.

Silly me. Years ago a guy gave me a check, and I don't remember, I think it was a bank draft AKA not a personal check. For some reason I guess I wanted CASH, because I wanted to make damn sure it was good, so I wandered downtown to cash it at U.S. Bank WHO IS THE bank that originated the check

I don't remember if it was 10 or 15% but those jerks wanted a percentage. I WAS PISSED!!!

I finally took it back to my bank for no extra charges.

Our DMV does online renewals for all 5 of my currently registered vehicles as one transaction.

This is why I renew both my license plates and driver's license in person, it doesn't take long especially if you do it at the beginning of the month. It's hazzle free. Sorry guys about commenting on this matter but I always hear horror stories about things being done on line.
WELCOME BACK @Dan the man

My bank likes giving notifications..........

I went into a music shop to buy some guitar strings and paid with my Visa. On the way out, I see this awesome guitar that I end up buying.......With my visa.

When I get home, I tell my wife that I was the 10 000th customer, and received the Gibson as a prize.

She laughs an says "Nice try, Visa just called about the back-to-back transactions"

Most gas stations don't allow back to back card transactions.

I found that out trying to mix a tank 1/2 93 and have 89 non-eth.

Most gas stations don't allow back to back card transactions.

I found that out trying to mix a tank 1/2 93 and have 89 non-eth.
I do the same thing, but so far no problems here. That would be a PITA if you needed 5 gallons of Unleaded for the boat and 5 gallons of diesel for the tractor.

Most of these "policies" that piss us off are a result of the scamming pieces of **** that are among us. Too many calls to the financial institution reporting unauthorized transactions.

Visa told me that it is not uncommon for someone to forget their card at a point of purchase, and then the card gets used again immediately by whoever found it. Hence the "no back to backs". I have the "Tap" feature disabled on my card. Must use a password to be processed.

I do the same thing, but so far no problems here. That would be a PITA if you needed 5 gallons of Unleaded for the boat and 5 gallons of diesel for the tractor.
I have done that many times, with no problems. Of course , I use a peculiar method.

I use cash.

I have ONE card, and I HATE to use it.

Well, here is my $0.02.
I am retired Air Force. When I was just a 2nd Lieutenant, I heard about a bank in San Antonio called Kelley Field (KF) National Bank that specialized in handling military member's accounts. We opened an account with them and kept it for over 20 years. They bent over backwards to provide superior service to military members. One time we were home on leave and decided that with a new baby, a station wagon might be a better way to travel. So we went to the local Chevy dealer and looked at a Malibu Station wagon. We really liked it, so we bargained for the best price, and then I called the toll-free number for KF. The loan officer asked me how much I needed and said they would deposit that right away and mail me the loan papers. The sales manager asked to talk to the loan officer. He was shocked that my bank was going to deposit the money in my checking account based only on a phone call. At some point (about 15-20 years ago?) KF was bought by Wells Fargo. My account must still be flagged as a prior KF Military account, because I have gotten superior service from them.
Now for Bank of America! UGH! My mortgage was purchased by them, so for the last 8 years or so (about2005-2013), I had to deal with them. What a bunch of buffoons. We doubled up on payments to pay the house off early. When I wanted to make a final house payment, they were "unable" to compute a final amount for me. This idiot tried to explain that the way they compute interest daily, the payoff amount would change daily. No kidding! He could not grasp the concept of "give me a payoff amount for next Monday, and I will mail you a check that can be deposited before that day". At the time, I was working in the Market Risk Analysis department of the Federal Home Loan Bank of Topeka. Believe me when I say that I knew how interest was compounded and computed. I tried to convince the guy he was wrong to no avail. I finally walked in the front door of a local Bank of America branch and requested a current balance so I could pay it off. I got the same mumbo jumbo from their loan department. I demanded to talk to the branch manager. I told him where I worked and that the crap his people were telling me was flat out wrong. He gave me some crap about needing time for a check to clear, so I asked him point blank how long it would really take for a check from my bank two blocks up the street to clear. He said to figure 3 days. I asked him to give me a balance for 4 days from today and wrote him a check for that amount. I don't think he liked it, but he took it. That is what it took to deal with those morons. And I still had to fight with them to get some paperwork showing the mortgage was paid off. I think @dartindanno is correct when he says big banks are for big business. I really don't think they care about the little people like us.

One time we were home on leave and decided that with a new baby, a station wagon might be a better way to travel. So we went to the local Chevy dealer and looked at a Malibu Station wagon. We really liked it, so we bargained for the best price, and then I called the toll-free number for KF. The loan officer asked me how much I needed and said they would deposit that right away and mail me the loan papers. The sales manager asked to talk to the loan officer. He was shocked that my bank was going to deposit the money in my checking account based only on a phone call.
I had a similar experience with a bank that I used to deal with in the 1990s. I had bought my first house and got my mortgage through them, all with minimal fuss or aggravation, then about 6 months later I decided to buy a van to use for work. The dealer's in-house finance department insisted that I could not use the vehicle for commercial purposes, (what the hell business is it of theirs what I use my vehicle for anyway?) and would not give me a preferential rate unless I agreed. I called my bank, told them what was happening, and they simply said to write a personal check, the amount would be in my account immediately, and to come into the branch anytime the following week to sign the papers. I swear the finance manager at the dealer had smoke coming out of his ears!

:rofl:

On a similar note, I recently made a change to my insurance coverage on my vehicles, resulting in a refund of $1.00, for which a check was issued, it remains on a shelf more than a month later.

The good old days........When they knew you personally.

When I was 15, I had a part time job and wanted to buy a snowmobile for $900. My father told me to go to the bank and negotiate a loan. He had me dress up professionally and coached me on etiquette. Damn, if I didn't get the loan.

Years later, I found out that he had called the bank and told them I was coming and to give me the loan. My dad signed no "co-sign" papers. His word was good enough.

Back 50 odd years ago, my small town rural banker (Pres.and owner) told me quote " I am loaning YOU this money and not on those damn horses"! He knew horses! :rofl: :BangHead: :thumbsup:

The good old days........When they knew you personally.
This is my banking experience of today, they all know me at my bank, a regional small town type bank. It was an even smaller regional (local) bank before they merged/sold to the current bank. Their fraud protection is top notch, I've never paid for anything I didn't personally buy. I've had a few small loans from them, the first the branch manager told the higher ups to make, "he wants to give us his money, why let him take it somewhere else?" That was about a decade ago, when I first started to build my credit. I was going to get a mortgage through them, but things worked out better in my favor and I was able to get a loan from a 401k I had.

Wells Fargo went after me for an already closed account that was paid off well before the "merger". For $82! I don't hate the employees, just the crap they were forced to do. Every time I went in to drop off my ex's mortgage payment, I was bombarded to open an account. Every single time. Not a big deal, but annoying none the less. They always asked me that when I cashed my check from my employer back many years ago too. I wasn't surprised when the fake account news hit, it sounded like a perfect solution to unrealistic quotas they set.

I love my little bank!

Last edited:
-
Back