Just purchased ‘98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L

-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I always wanted one of these but would never have paid $40,000+ when new.
This was one of my ideas when I worked for Chrysler. I suggested installing the larger displacement V8 Magnum engines in the ZJ Grand Cherokee, pretty simple right? To say there was ZERO enthusiasm is not an exaggeration because we couldn’t meet demand as it is. So only made for one year.
Anyway this one with only 84,000 miles on it popped up about 2 miles from me. It’s not perfect but I figured I had to have it.
But this means the ‘72 Opel 1900 Sport Coupe is going to go one Bring A Trailer

IMG_6738.jpeg

IMG_6736.jpeg

IMG_6737.jpeg

IMG_6727.jpeg

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited version myself 250,000 miles.

Runs good. It is an in-between version, some parts from your version some from 85 younger version. Some one year only

I LOVE ZJs, reminds me of my beloved '93 XJ Cherokee. 4.0 straight-6, 5-speed manual, part-time 4x4. Bought it in 2010 with 180k miles and it was a cream puff, my guess a former gov't fleet vehicle as it had ZERO options besides the driveline setup; manual windows, manual door locks, no A/C, no cruise control, nothin'. It was my daily driver for over a decade then I finally got my Buick; only a few months after that it got rear-ended and totaled. I was so bummed, I had planned to finally build it into a serious off-road rig. At least I was able to buy it back from insurance and gut all the important parts to hopefully some day put into another one.

like the Opel! what's the difference between that and the Manta?

The Manta name wasn’t used on ‘71 & ‘72 in the US, but in ‘73 and after it was called a Manta. So technically my car is a 1900 Sport Coupe but it’s a Manta.

I’ve always thought those 5.9 ZJ’s were cool. Kind of like an SRT8 before that team was around.

Sounds like you have some inside knowledge on this. Always wondered why Dodge and Jeep didn’t offer the 5.9 in anything that already came with the 5.2, seems like it would cost zero development $$$ to do. Am I missing something?

Sweet rig. Any plans for it? Just fix what needs to be fixed or hop it up some?

I’ve often thought about an SRT8 style build with something like this.

-
Back