K frame confusion

-

dodgedude37

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Back in time I wanted large bolt pattern on my 70 duster which started as a 4 wheel drum no power. I had access to a 73 3 speed 318 duster, swapped out k frame & rear end. So now power front disc no power steering. Now at my senior age I want the power steering back. Confusion starts when everything I read my manual steering box should be 1 1/4 output shaft, it's not 1 1/8. The steering shaft 3/4. My research tells me 1 1/8 was last used in 72. Also back in the day I went from sandwich motor mounts to cartrage type which started in 73 with 318's, started earlier for 340. I am relying on memory on donor car being a 73, I thought I was sure because of tail lights matched 73 I already had. So confused!!!!!!!

If you swapped the k-frame to 73 up which does take the different motor mounts, , but you used the 1970 manual steering box an center link and pitman arm , (which for manual pitman arm is different than power) and used idler arm off your 70 , Then you need to get the 73 up proper steering box with the large sector shaft , and center link and pitman arm and idler arm to swap to power steering ,

On 72 back the pitman arm and idler install through center upwards towards the engine . On 73 up the pitman arm and idler arms go down thru center link towards the ground

If you get a steering power steering box off a 72 with proper power steering pitman arm small sector shaft could work as well .

You will find answers in the

Read my post I swapped the entire K frame as a unit, steering box, disc brakes,& vacuum power & master.cyl. & proportioning valve. I did not mix & match. That's why the confusion the manual box on the 73 was 1 1/8.

Mother mopar sometimes carried over items slowly, and used up remaining 72 Parts in the 73 , have seen it many times on other cars and years , my 72 challenger has some 71 dash components and some other interior items that were specific to a 71 not the 72 , so best guess is thats what happened since 73 was the cross over year ,,other than that maybe someone else did something to the 73 you pulled it from

I think your first assumption is most likely, the bolts mounting the box felt like factory tight,if you know what I mean. I am just glad I paid attention to the details or I would have purchased the wrong kit to restore the power steering.

The manual steering boxes are ALL small sector. Only the power steering boxes changed.

You mention you swapped the steering box as a unit, but do you have the '73+ idler and center link? Because that's the important information. If you want power steering now the pitman has to match the center link, and if you have the '70 center link you need the small sector ('72 down) power steering box. If you have the '73 center link, you can use the 73+ large sector power steering box with a new large sector pitman. The problem is that they don't make a large sector pitman to go with the '67-'72 steering center link.

As mentioned earlier the K unit was swapped as a unit, that includes steering linkage.

The manual steering boxes are ALL small sector. Only the power steering boxes changed.

You mention you swapped the steering box as a unit, but do you have the '73+ idler and center link? Because that's the important information. If you want power steering now the pitman has to match the center link, and if you have the '70 center link you need the small sector ('72 down) power steering box. If you have the '73 center link, you can use the 73+ large sector power steering box with a new large sector pitman. The problem is that they don't make a large sector pitman to go with the '67-'72 steering center link.
That makes sense , the manual box is small sector only ,,and power steering changed to large sector shaft , so if he has all the 73 K-frame an components , he just needs the power steering box from 73 up with proper pitman arm , as he stated the rest is now converted an also now has big bolt pattern for wheels , That's the deciding factor was that a manual steering box can be small sector , but power steering cannot be small sector shaft

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier the K unit was swapped as a unit, that includes steering linkage.
The year / type of the K member actually has nothing to do with your problem.

What you need to do is to look and see which direction the tapered ends "point" where they connect to the steering link. The STEERING LINK" is actually the KEY to the chinese puzzle. Here:

Pre 73 setup:

NOTICE that on the tapered ends of the idler and pitman, the tapers/ nuts point UP

old-jpg-jpg.jpg

73 and later setup:

NOTICE that the tapers/ nuts on the idler/ pitman point DOWN

new-jpg-jpg.jpg

You can use any K from 68--76 with any other parts (67 had the oddball 1 year idler arm to K mount)

You can use lower arms from 67/ up depending on if or what you need for the anti roll bar tabs

You can use the center steering link from 67--72 or the steering link from 73--76 as long as on EITHER center link, you match the appropriate idler arm, pitman, and of course steering box splines.

To repeat, your problem has NOTHING to do with what the K is actually out of. Be aware that as old as these girls are, it is very possible that the center link and other parts were already swapped onto the K that you have

One last time, the CENTER STEERING LINK is the KEY to your problem. FOUR parts must match. Center link, idler, pitman, and steering box splines

A manual box is small sector only in any year 72 or 73 ,,And power steering changed to large sector shaft in 73 , so if he has all the correct 73 K-frame an components , he just needs the power steering box from 73 up with proper pitman arm , as he stated the rest is now converted with the 73 steering components , I assume as mentioned that the idler an pitman arm tapered shafts point down when installed and not upwards like the 72 earlier ,, That's a deciding factor ,, But I believe the poster's confusion was why a steering box from a 73 had the small sector shaft , and that was answered by
72bluNblu said:

No, they are not. I believe C bodies are large sector. This means that if you are the guy who bought a 73/later OEM power setup into which someone had swapped a C manual box, well.......................................

I don't know if there are any others which will bolt in or not, but large spline boxes DO exist.

-
Back