K frame help

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
I would like to remove the K frame from the duster so I can get it ready for the tiss'. Can you guys give me any pointers for a smooth removal? Can I keep the motor/trannie attached & drop it out the bottom like the factory did?

Also if you guys have any exploded views of the area in question, please share. I looked, but as usual, I found nothing....

Thanks, Matt W.

Unbolt the shocks, Upper control arms, pull the T Bars, disconnect the steeringbox from the column. 4 bolts for the K frame.

If you drill the rivets out and remove the 2 plastic shields the K-member can move striaght forward far enough to drop the torsion bars out of their rear sockets, then down and out with all of it. It's a heavy and awkward load on the average floor jack but it can be done.
Little stuff to disconnect like trans cooler lines and guide them under the radiater. Remove the fan and shroud

OK thanks guys. I just crawled up under it & now that its daylight, it dosent look so bad.

Thanks for the help!!

When you drop the whole thing, you need to disconnect the hydraulic lines to the front brakes & remove wiring on engine, too. I pulled the radiator, too. Otherwise, everybody else has covered the stuff you need to disconnect.

Putting it back together from down under goes smooth and quick. I had to pull the A/T dipstick to keep it from tangling with the passenger-side underhood wiring.

I would like to remove the K frame from the duster so I can get it ready for the tiss'. Can you guys give me any pointers for a smooth removal? Can I keep the motor/trannie attached & drop it out the bottom like the factory did?

Also if you guys have any exploded views of the area in question, please share. I looked, but as usual, I found nothing....

Thanks, Matt W.

...if you just want to remove the suspension and not the engine, you can rig an engine hanger. I used a pair of 2x6s across the inner fender lips, and allthread rods running down into the carb mounting holes (I have an iron intake -- might not want to do this with aluminum).

Didn't flex a bit when it took the weight of the drivetrain.

If you remove the hood, of course, you can use a chain hoist from the rafters. But the hanger let me move the car, if I wanted (with the front on a floor jack or a pair of dollies).

Just a thought...

-
Back