K frame repaired

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
Okay...I was in the process of KH SBP disc change over on my 72 Valiant, and decided to redo ball joints, bushings, ect. for the sake of safety. I have found what appears to be repairs to the K frame. The tab for the idler arm looks as if it was broken and welded. It seems strong enough, but I'm wondering if I should bother spending the time and money redoing this front end. Not looking to race or restore...just cruise nights, driving around, and not fuss over it.
Should I bother with ball joints, bushings, discs, and stuff, or just put it back together with the 9" drums, or something else?
All feedback is appreciated...

In most cases welds are stronger than the original metal if done well.
I would'nt have a problem with it if it looked solid.

The factory welds can be horrific looking on k-frames and it may not be a repair at all that
you are seeing. I have added weld to some that looked marginal before just for peace of mind.
If it isn't broke now it is likely OK though.

The factory welds can be horrific looking on k-frames and it may not be a repair at all that
you are seeing. I have added weld to some that looked marginal before just for peace of mind.
If it isn't broke now it is likely OK though.

Exactly. The worst work was what I saw on the original DC k-member I used as a pattern for mine. That thing was JUNK.

-
Back